Carrying in a "Gun Free Zone"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a "Gun Free Zone"

Cool Carrying in a "Gun Free Zone"

I was reading an article by Robert H. Boatman entitled "The Constitutional Right and Social Obligation to Carry a Gun." In it he says the following:

"The most dangerous places in the world are those called 'gun-free safety zones' by their ignorant political creators and known by criminals and psychopaths as 'safe-to-kill zones.' Even and adolescent school kid can figure out that an advertized killing field where no one is allowed to shoot back is the safest location in the world to carry out a mass shooting. Don't even consider going to a place like that unarmed, whether it's your kid's school or a national park."

So what do you all think? Would you carry concealed at a high school football game? At your daughter's school choir concert? I have. But I struggle with having done so. I'm curious what others out there think.
    Last edited by sfdtuzolto; 02-17-2008 at 01:58 AM. Reason: comply with posting rules
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Molon labe!

3. You sound like a true patriot. I probably wouldn't considering my type of employment is law-enforcement related or pseudo-law enforcement, however, it seems our government has passed a number of illegal laws and policies so we should in theory return it in kind with acts of civil disobedience especially that which is our given rights as citizens.

4. I personally carry where it's legal to carry. I am comforted to know others are carrying around me.

This election is soooo important.

Sgt. Sig, you just site the very end of the quote from Boatman "If you can't handle breaking the law, don't go." I did not start this thread to advocate breaking the law but rather to enter into a rational discussion on the problem we face with "gun free zones." If you consider the whole quote from Boatman he brings up a valid dilema that I am sincerely struggling with. To think of "gun-free zones" as "safe-to-kill zones" for the bad guys really bothers me. What about the sign posted at the mall that says "no guns allowed." Just last year South of Seattle in a mall, a psycho with a gun walked through shooting people randomly. A conceal carry holder shot at him and stopped the bad guys rampage. What if that mall had a "gun-free zone" sign posted? Please don't get hung up on the end of Boatman's quote that you site. I did not intend for that to be the focus of this discussion.
    Last edited by sfdtuzolto; 02-17-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: spelling error
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Molon labe!

I agree. So I will go back and edit the original and remove the quote in question. Can we now go back to discussion about "gun-free zones" being "safe-to-kill zones." Thanks.
    Last edited by sfdtuzolto; 02-17-2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: clarify

Molon labe!

7. Quote Originally Posted by sfdtuzolto View Post
    I agree. So I will go back and edit the original and remove the quote in question.
    Sound wisdom bro! ;) (I deleted those distracting post as well)

Like I mentioned before, state law prohibits me from carrying on any school property. Many states have the same laws and some are actually looking at changing those laws. With all the shootings at schools and collages, it's just insane to disarm honest students and turn them in to victims in a virtual slaughter house.

But where there is no force of law behind the sign, I will continue to carry concealed if I must go to a business that post such a sign and avoid going there all together if I can.
    Last edited by Sgt. SIG; 02-17-2008 at 02:10 AM.

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

I agree that "safe to kill zones" are a crock. I try to avoid them as best I can. but when I have to go to them I use my best judgement. which usually comes down to... I would rather have a fighting chance then to have very little chance at all.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

I agree with what most of you are saying, I have two kids in school and go to church, I obey the laws, I like my ccw permit and would like to keep it. I wish they had trained people at high schools and collages to help in case of need. the mall carry laws are a bunch of BS. and any stores that do the same, I my self I hardly ever go to the malls thou, can't stand them.
    "Victory at all cost Victory in spite of all terror. Victory no matter how long and how hard the road may be; for without Victory there is no survival."
    (Winston Churchill)

I realize your post is not about us breaking the law I will start by saying I will not knowingly carry where it is illegal. However, I do not see how the forces that be cannot see that these gun free zones only effect law abiding citizens. They are trying to pass a law in TN that would allow us to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as we are not drinking. I have emailed my senator and representative to request they support this legislation. I will carry anywhere I can, and I hope that area continues to grow.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Quote Originally Posted by sfdtuzolto View Post
    So what do you all think? Would you carry concealed at a high school football game? At your daughter's school choir concert? I have. But I struggle with having done so. I'm curious what others out there think.
    Here's what I think.Bear in mind that not many people,if any,think like I do,at least not completely.(An example of God's mercy,I suppose.)
    Would I knowingly carry where it is prohibited?I don't know.I guess it would depend on the situation.If I did,and I didn't get caught,I would not struggle with it.Did you do it to be bad or to hurt somebody or to prevent someone from hurting you and yours?You shouldn't struggle with it either.
    Just me.
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast