Favorite Gun Myths - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Favorite Gun Myths

One I'd like to know if it's true or not.

The phrase "Froze the balls off a brass monkey" supposedly comes from the days of sail when cannon shot was stacked on deck in a pyramid. The balls on the bottom were placed in dimples in a steel triangular plate spiked to the deck planks. These were called MonkeysTime would cause the steel shot to rust to the steel plate in the salt water, so the plates were made of brass to prevent this. When the ships would sail into northern latitudes, the frigid temperatures would cause the brass to contract more than the ones previously used made of steel, causing the balls to slip out of the dimples and collapse the pile, hence the saying Froze the balls off a brass monkey.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    One I'd like to know if it's true or not.

The phrase "Froze the balls off a brass monkey" supposedly comes from the days of sail when cannon shot was stacked on deck in a pyramid. The balls on the bottom were placed in dimples in a steel triangular plate spiked to the deck planks. These were called MonkeysTime would cause the steel shot to rust to the steel plate in the salt water, so the plates were made of brass to prevent this. When the ships would sail into northern latitudes, the frigid temperatures would cause the brass to contract more than the ones previously used made of steel, causing the balls to slip out of the dimples and collapse the pile, hence the saying Froze the balls off a brass monkey.

I haven't heard that exact explanation but I know that it has something to do with the cannon balls on ships and them freezing. What exactly was the origion I don't know other than you are on the right track.

I don't know. I write and perform folk songs mostly related to the ocean, so I retain most of what I hear related to the subject. I probably heard that 30 or more years ago. Similarly, (not to hijack the thread) the term "By and large" Ships under full sail were "sailing large". When being pursued by more powerful and usually bigger ships, the smaller would head for shallows or reefs with shallow water taking advantage of their lesser draft and navigate the narrow shallow channels quickly in hopes the other ship would run aground. If they kept all the sails up to expedite the maneuver and got past the obstacles. they were "by and large". My head is so full of useless information there's little room for important stuff sometimes.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I actually posted the part about the sensors as a joke and some believed that there actually are sensors. Just remember that even when you post something as a myth some people don't pay attention to the myth part and believe everything they read.
    Damn! I threw all my guns on the side of the road. Now I have to turn around and go back and get them.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234