Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

Quote Originally Posted by marlin.357 View Post
    I would feel more safe. Constitutional carry in Vermont Alaska & Arizona has (with very few exceptions) been very successful at reducing crime. Bring it on!
    I'd feel safer with more responsible people carrying, less safe with more irresponsible people carrying.

The problem would be finding a way to filter out the responsible from the irresponsible, and then keep the irresponsible from illegally carrying.

But we don't help the cause by making unsupported assertions.

Vermont has the 2nd lowest violent crime rate. But Alaska ranks 47th, and Arizona is 32nd.

Three heavily focused gun control states, Rhode Island (12th), Connecticut (22nd) and New York (29th) have lower violent crime rates than Arizona and Alaska.

California (36th) and Illinois (40th) have lower violent crime rates than Alaska

Gun control or the lack of it simply has no impact on the crime rate.

Asserting so either way is giving your opponent an achilles heel.

Damm LT, 44's and 38's, not my cup of tea but you know what they say in the Navy "Any Port in the Storm will do"

As for the trust............I assume the best in all people. Through my observations I'll adjust my given trust accordingly. If I saw someone OC'ing I would assume (YES I know what it means) that they feel enough confidence in their training and ability to OC. Being this is basically a NO OC State, I would naturally assume they're LEO's.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Amazingly those persons with guns have been running in the same circles as me any my husband, and yes I trust them. I believe we trust each other as well...I know who I could count on. Its comforting to know they are an earshot away (small farm community)

Have seen persons open carry and used to think they were just leo. Nowadays, doesn't bother me cause I may have mine cc.

Once I get to know ya......I trust ya, otherwise the verdict is still out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    Once I get to know ya......I trust ya, otherwise the verdict is still out.
    I do know of some folks who carry, that I wished didn't but at this time I have no say in restricting their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    You just had to go there, didn't you!

When I see someone else open carrying a handgun in a holster, the first thought that goes through my mind is, "There's a person that cares about their self-defense." I feel safer when I see it.

With one exception:

But, then again, those aren't holstered guns.
    Jesus, those poor guns, even being Glocks, they will never be the same

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Do you trust other people W/ guns?

How would you feel if the entire country did away W/ permits and just allowed Vermont carry? Would you feel more or less safe?
    Trust other folks with guns? To a point. Same as I trust folks with cars. I don't know what Joe (or Jane) Sixpack is going to do with a loaded gun any more than I know what they will do with 3,500 pounds of moving steel.

Realistically, when the first jurisdictions in our republic went with carry permits - concealed or open - they annoyed the law abiding and gave a Hassel Tool to the local police. And it's still the same 200+ years later.

For the most part I think the statutory police power used to control personal weapons has been mostly misused when it has been used at all.

I'd be content with the whole country going "Alaska Carry" - which is either open or concealed. I don't think it'd make much difference in what you see on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    You just had to go there, didn't you!

When I see someone else open carrying a handgun in a holster, the first thought that goes through my mind is, "There's a person that cares about their self-defense." I feel safer when I see it.

With one exception:

But, then again, those aren't holstered guns.

Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Do you trust other people W/ guns?
    Do you trust other people W/ automobiles?

It seems to me that trusting everyone to drive cars poses a far greater risk than trusting them to carry guns.

What do you think?
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

Frequently I see threads here about gun shops that restrict carry...
    When I see a sign restricting carry on the front door of a gun shop, I don't even bother to enter. They're obviously not my kind of people.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast