What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble? - Page 11
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble?

1. If officer obviously needed help, I would offer my help. If he wants it, he's got it, but, I would advise him I'm a licensed concealed carrier first - then see what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post

I suggest you do a google search on "the only ones files" then come back here and give us a report...
    Axe, hey, would you post a link? I can't find anything on Google that relates.

If the officer was in a position to ask him if he wanted or need help I would ask and comply with his direction....If he was not capable of responding, I would take the action that was approprate to the situation.

Steve

Call 911 state Officer Down Officer needs assistance and Location, If life/health of officer is in danger and my wife and kids are not with me, would call first and then offer help.

6. "Would you help a police officer in trouble?" Essentially, this is either a yes or no question.
    Not so. This is why I gave the answer I did, early in this thread.

And no, there are no blanket cop-haters in this thread, only people with enough life experience to know that Good Guys and Bad Guys come both in uniform and out of it. Also, today in 2011, most ordinary working class people have had far more bad interactions with cops than good ones, despite not being bad citizens or outlaws.

When you stop to aid that cop, whom you are SURE is the Good Guy in the situation, you risk not only your own life. You're supporting a family (some of us, two; can't forget the $2K a mo. to my ex), and if you get yourself shot or even imprisoned for making a wrong choice, you've messed up the lives of your entire family. So be SURE.

And I wish people would stop saying "they protect us." Your protection is and always has been your own responsibility. Some Police may want to protect you, but they have no legal duty to do so, and they don't have accurate crystal balls, so they generally arrive after the Bad Thing has happened. Regardless of what they'd like, they are more often the "historians of evil," investigating and writing reports after the event. True, today's politicians have turned many of today's cops into nearly universally despised revenue collectors (and the inevitable societal backlash will, unfortunately, target the cops instead of the politicians), but the job of the police never was to "protect." It was to keep the citizens in line. True, the primary mission of today's traffic cop is the forcible transfer of wealth from the productive class to the ruling class, but historically Police have been employed to keep people in line.

I repeat when I posted earlier: When I see a PERSON in trouble, uniform or not, I'll make my decision based largely on whether I know that person to be good or bad. If you read recent events, you know even the cops get mixed up and kill their own Officers from time to time. So be damned sure you know what you're doing if you invite yourself to the fight.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

I am retired military with 24 years service and have now worked for a sheriff department for 14 years. I am not a sworn officer but would do anything I could to render aid to the officer.

8. I would not even hesitate.

They risk their lives to save me. I live in a small town and I know the local police by name and they know me (in a good way).

Maybe I will get out of a speeding ticket later..

9. While I respect you two gentlemen and your opinions, I feel compelled to observed you live in the world I did, and feel as I did, about 40 years ago. That world is gone.

Man survives shooting incident with Las Vegas police, but questions remain - News - ReviewJournal.com

Are you going to jump in and help the Officer "protect?"

I REALLY wish people would realize our protection is OUR OWN responsibility, nobody else's. It shouldn't take a Supreme Court decision to explain that Police have no duty to protect, but those decisions are on record.

I'll jump in ONLY if I KNOW it's a Good Guy. And how he's dressed is not enough. There are many people for whom I'd risk my life who do not wear uniforms. But I KNOW they are Good Guys. And ANYONE in black armor, ski mask and covered with weapons in an American residential neighborhood is a terrorist, no matter who signs his paycheck. Peace Officers wear uniforms with name tags, are polite and are unafraid to show their faces. That's the kind of guy I'll help -- but most of those are my age and are retiring, or older and already retired. Welcome to the Brave New World. In a lethal conflict you only get one chance to screw up. Choose wisely.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

I have helped in the past and will help in the future.
    GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS...ESPECIALLY OUR SNIPERS

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post

And ANYONE in black armor, ski mask and covered with weapons in an American residential neighborhood is a terrorist, no matter who signs his paycheck. Peace Officers wear uniforms with name tags, are polite and are unafraid to show their faces.
    Not true. If you ever worked with the other side ( your so-called terrorists ) you would know why the GGs wear those things even in a residential neighborhood. I've had dealings with the Intergovernmental Bureau in Miami-Dade and you won't see all of them identified. Agency labels on their flack jackets, helmets, belts, yes. But no personal names or badge #s when going in on a raid.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast