What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble? - Page 13
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble?

1. Just like giving first aid, ask first before getting involved. Helping LEO is a good thing but do it in such a way that will keep you safe also. Personally, I will help a LEO in need if he ask for it.
    Remember you action may have consequences at a later date when and if you meet up with the guy you beat off of the LEO... lol... maybe you can 10x him when he comes after you.

Wink

I once saw a Cop on the ground with a dirt-bag on top of him. I applied steel-toed motorcycle boot to the side of the dirt-bag's head and instantly ended the fight. I also instantly became virtually bullet proof amongst the Police Force in that small California town. A nice feeling for a biker who looks pretty much like a dirt-bag himself. Had I been in my home state of Colorado, I might have applied something else to the guy's head...
    All the best.
    BTW... I didn't see it as helping a Cop. I saw it as another human in need of assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock4me View Post
    Just like giving first aid, ask first before getting involved. Helping LEO is a good thing but do it in such a way that will keep you safe also. Personally, I will help a LEO in need if he ask for it.
    Remember you action may have consequences at a later date when and if you meet up with the guy you beat off of the LEO... lol... maybe you can 10x him when he comes after you.
    If there's time, sure, but there's not always gonna be time to ask. Sometimes you just have to act.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    If there's time, sure, but there's not always gonna be time to ask. Sometimes you just have to act.
    You got THAT right.

I would probably try to help. (Yeah, there are bad cops, just as there are 10%'ers everywhere, no matter the profession.)

It could be that it would turn around and bite me, like many posters have alluded to in this thread.

But, if you have a "white knight" complex like I do/did (Why I served my Country for 20 years), I could not just turn away and live with myself afterwards.

If we pretend to be on the side of the "good guys", then you are on the team. The miliitary does NOT tolerate folks who will let their teammates down on the field of battle, whether you "like" them or no makes no difference.

Better a convicted felon or dead than to callously "nit pick" on those who I would or would NOT help.

Besides, for the most part, the reaction you take is mostly instinct..... Planning is only allowed when you have the time for it. Most "encounters" happen too fast to have time to think about it.

Thus, for many posters here..... I can see that they would not be persons I would want on my six if the offal hit the revolving bladed cooling device.

Old Marine saying: If I can't trust you, ******* you.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

If a cop is in trouble, I'm going to help him or her out as best I can. One way or another, the BG is going to be dealt with.
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

7. Hello All,

I'm new to this site, and as of now not a gun owner, but that will change in the next month.

Because I'm a Vermont resident, carrying concealed in Vermont will not be a problem, but everywhere else in New England will be.

As for stopping to help a LEO, I will absolutley stop and help. I already stop at all accidents (if I arrive before fire/ambulance) whenever I travel. (Yes, I have been a volunteer firefighter for over 25 years, so I do have some medical and rescue experience.)

For me there is no difference between a LEO in trouble or a motorist hurt in an accident. I have training, and I like to think I know what to do in most situations.

This summer, the wife and I will be traveling out to the Black Hills of South Dakota - not Sturgis week. Both of us will be carrying by then with Utah permits. We hope not to be put in this situation, but would not hesitate to help.

Just my 2 cents.

Marc

help the officer

Being a retired LEO I would help the officer. If I was not a retired LEO I would do it anyway.

I would definitely call 911; tell them what I was wearing so the other police officers who would be on the way would know who the bad guy is.

If the bad guy kills the cop then you have to worry about the bad guy being in your neighborhood, if he hurts the cop he will not hesitate to do the same or more to you.

I talk about this in my ccw classes.

Pat Olvey
    Email [email protected]
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County

I really don't know how to answer this. In the past, I have always stopped and helped the police. But then again, they were real police who were there to "protect and serve" and did not dress like terrorists or kick people's doors down in the middle of the night with no knocking. The way things are going now, there is no way that I want to be the only one standing with a gun when the downed cop's buddies get there. I guess that it would really depend on the scenario. Out in the middle of nowhere and a Deputy or State Trooper is in trouble, I am probably going to act and do what I can. In the anti-gun city of Omaha? I am probably going to be a good witness unless it really looks like they are going to kill the guy, or unless he is lying there bleeding and nobody else is around.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock4me View Post
    I would say it's a bad idea to pull a hand gun to assist a LEO is in trouble, if his back up shows up, they may think you are one of the bad guys and take you down. I would call 911 first and let them know what going on, officer in need of assistant, and that you are not one of the bad buy, what you are wearing and your physical description first so when they broadcast the information, they will know there is a good guy at the location also. If you must help, use pepper spray if you have it, stun gun or taser, but it is a real bad idea to pull your weapon if they are rolling around since you may shot the LEO instead and putting your life in danger since the LEO on the ground see you pulling your weapon, he may just shot you first before asking if you are one of the bad buys. Just my two cents worth. You may wish to ask do you need my help if the LEO is still able to speak.
    These seem like valid realistic points and possibilities.... It seems that calling 911, then yelling to the officier to ask him / her how you can help them would be my choice. Unless I'd seen the whole circumstances unfold, there could be unknowns that could change how I'd respond without confirmation from 911 or the officier in immediate need for assistance.

There are too many variables for me to say either way. But after reading all of the posts up to this point has made me think. This is why I see these threads as being so useful. They cause us to think and in every situation our brain is our most important asset.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast