What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble? - Page 15
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    You got THAT right.

I would probably try to help. (Yeah, there are bad cops, just as there are 10%'ers everywhere, no matter the profession.)

It could be that it would turn around and bite me, like many posters have alluded to in this thread.

But, if you have a "white knight" complex like I do/did (Why I served my Country for 20 years), I could not just turn away and live with myself afterwards.

If we pretend to be on the side of the "good guys", then you are on the team. The miliitary does NOT tolerate folks who will let their teammates down on the field of battle, whether you "like" them or no makes no difference.

Better a convicted felon or dead than to callously "nit pick" on those who I would or would NOT help.

Besides, for the most part, the reaction you take is mostly instinct..... Planning is only allowed when you have the time for it. Most "encounters" happen too fast to have time to think about it.

Thus, for many posters here..... I can see that they would not be persons I would want on my six if the offal hit the revolving bladed cooling device.

Old Marine saying: If I can't trust you, ******* you.

GG
    Back in the mid 80s I was hanging out with a friend one night when we are confronted by 4 or 5 thug boys up on campus here in town.
    Theres no way we're going anywhere....or so I thought. I turn around and my friend is gone. I mean GONE.
    Had it not been for my fairly aggressive personality causing some serious doubts in these guys I have no doubt theyd have thrashed me to within an inch of my life.
    Later that evening after I tracked my panzy friend down again we were heading back to the car and he tries to start a fight with some damned women
    I dont think I know anyone who I could trust behind me other than my wife and sisters.

After 15 pages of this thread we probably need to look back at the original question to see how we have done on this. I don't know but I take it that the OP was in reference to at least the Internet posts that some people give the impression that if they saw a LEO in trouble their dislike for LEO would cause them to sit back and cheer for the other guy. Are you such a person that your hatred for cops is that you would refuse to help one no matter what. I think this thread says that most of us would treat a LEO just like anyone else when in trouble. First of all know what you are getting into and don't try to be a hero without thinking. There are some bad cops just like in any other group of people including gun owners and members of this forum. But there are a lot of good cops and all are people. Be safe and know what you are doing when you get involved in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    After 15 pages of this thread we probably need to look back at the original question to see how we have done on this. I don't know but I take it that the OP was in reference to at least the Internet posts that some people give the impression that if they saw a LEO in trouble their dislike for LEO would cause them to sit back and cheer for the other guy. Are you such a person that your hatred for cops is that you would refuse to help one no matter what. I think this thread says that most of us would treat a LEO just like anyone else when in trouble. First of all know what you are getting into and don't try to be a hero without thinking. There are some bad cops just like in any other group of people including gun owners and members of this forum. But there are a lot of good cops and all are people. Be safe and know what you are doing when you get involved in anything.

So, in your stated opinion, Those whose life experience with the police have taught them NOT TO TRUST POLICE AT ALL, EVER... are now cheering for the other person? That is a pretty big leap there bud, way to throw everyone who you disagree with under the bus..... Not everyone who said they wouldnt get involved "hate" cops either...

Perhaps you would be cheering for one side or the other, but not all of the posters have said anything like that...

If you go back and read through all of my posts in this thread, it will be shown that I, for one, do not "cheer" for either side... I simply do not know if I will interfere/get involved when I dont know the cop personally, or wasnt at the altercation/situation from the beginning and as such, would have no proof of which person is the one that needs help... The one in uniform or the one without.

You also in this post bring up the very tired excuse of "there are good cops and there are bad cops"... I ask you this simple question.... if there are SOOOOO many "good" cops, why dont they do the job they are so "good" at, and arrest the "bad" cops? Their silence and inaction make the "good" ones JUST AS GUILTY/BAD as the "bad" ones. Any argument to the contrary is false and you know it......

5. Yes, absolutely!
    However you will be questioned and likely treated like a suspect. So, be prepared to holster your weapon immediately and follow directions to a T!
    Regardless of how uncomfortable you are during the take down. Understand they are coming to the aid of an officer in distress and don't know anything about you.
    It can be risky so be careful.
    Dutch1911
    1/*

Funny thing.................

everytime I needed the cops their response was " I'm sorry,there is nothing we can do."

I believe that would be my response to them.

I hate to be that way but fair is fair.

Cops are a lot different now that I'm 41 than when I was a kid. When I was a child I had respect for cops. Not so much anymore. Respect is earned but easily lost.

I hate that it's come to this but cops along with most people I deal with have a complete lack of common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hornett22 View Post
    everytime I needed the cops their response was " I'm sorry,there is nothing we can do."

I believe that would be my response to them.

I hate to be that way but fair is fair.

Cops are a lot different now that I'm 41 than when I was a kid. When I was a child I had respect for cops. Not so much anymore. Respect is earned but easily lost.

I hate that it's come to this but cops along with most people I deal with have a complete lack of common sense.
    So, you're saying that it is ok for you to do the same thing that you criticize the police for as "fair."
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    So, in your stated opinion, Those whose life experience with the police have taught them NOT TO TRUST POLICE AT ALL, EVER... are now cheering for the other person? That is a pretty big leap there bud, way to throw everyone who you disagree with under the bus..... Not everyone who said they wouldnt get involved "hate" cops either...

Perhaps you would be cheering for one side or the other, but not all of the posters have said anything like that...

If you go back and read through all of my posts in this thread, it will be shown that I, for one, do not "cheer" for either side... I simply do not know if I will interfere/get involved when I dont know the cop personally, or wasnt at the altercation/situation from the beginning and as such, would have no proof of which person is the one that needs help... The one in uniform or the one without.

You also in this post bring up the very tired excuse of "there are good cops and there are bad cops"... I ask you this simple question.... if there are SOOOOO many "good" cops, why dont they do the job they are so "good" at, and arrest the "bad" cops? Their silence and inaction make the "good" ones JUST AS GUILTY/BAD as the "bad" ones. Any argument to the contrary is false and you know it......
    I simply said that it appears to me that some people would cheer for the BG over a LEO no matter what was going on. You proved it that some would. I stated that I would treat a cop in trouble as I would any other human being but you seem to group all of them into one basket and would sit back and see one get beaten or killed just because he is a LEO. If I saw a cop beating what I knew was an innocent person wrongfully I would also get involved with that. I haven't accused anyone of doing anything other than in a few cases giving the impression that they would cheer for a BG over a LEO. I have no idea if you fall into that category or not but from your response it sounds like I did strike a personal nerve with you about it.

I make no apologizes or retractions about my post. The OP was would you help a LEO in trouble and some people would and others wouldn't. Evidently you are in the group that wouldn't and I am in the group that it wouldn't make any difference if it was a LEO or ordinary citizen.

I don't know. I called the cops for a hit and run and for some reason they were upset at me, the victim. They started probing to see if they could arrest me for anything, as if I incited the assault. Then one said they aren't going away without arresting someone.

Since then, I never call cops.

Quote Originally Posted by winnre View Post
    I don't know. I called the cops for a hit and run and for some reason they were upset at me, the victim. They started probing to see if they could arrest me for anything, as if I incited the assault. Then one said they aren't going away without arresting someone.

Since then, I never call cops.
    I keep hearing these horror stories about cops and wonder if it is the part of the country that people live in or the person or just what causes these clashes. Several years ago my duaghter called me to tell me that she had been in a wreck and I told her I would be right there is a few minutes. When I got to the scene they had pulled into the parking lot of a store and as I stepped out my daughter called me and I started walking over to her. As I did the cop ran over to me and told me that he saw the whole thing and there was nothing my daughter could do and it wasn't her fault. He was afraid that I was going to go off on her and wanted to get between us. I'll bet that this in the normal reaction he sees when parents arrive at an accident scene where young drivers are involved.

I have never been arrested but have had traffic violations had my cars involved in accidents. I have several friends and relatives that are LEO and I can say that some cops are not as courteous as some others but I can't say that any of my dealings have been less than professional. I can also say that I have seen some cases where if they had beaten the crap out of someone I would not have blamed them and is exactly why I could never be a cop.

Late one drizzly night I left a bar and wound up in an accident. I will admit that it was my fault and there was not a lot I had in my defense. Two cops came to investigate and write it up. They put us both in the back of the squad car to get the information etc. Every other phrase out of the other fellow's mouth was a smart alec response or something to that effect. He would not give a decent answer to any question and would have some remark about everything I said. Finally one of the cops looked at him and said I am going to give you a standing sobriety test and everyone got out of the car but me. The windows were fogged up so I couldn't see what was happening. A few minutes later they put him back in the car and let me out. The cop then hand me my ticket and told me when to appear for court. He also said that they were charging the other fellow with DUI and if he had just behaved himself they would not have done a thing. I am sure the other driver has a story to tell about how the cops mistreated him and made him out to be the BG instead of me and all that kind of stuff. In fact eventually I was summoned to appear at his trial but he pleaded out before trial, my ticked was dismissed and his insurance company paid off. I felt bad for the guy but he just would not keep his mouth shut.

FN1910, you stated that some people would "CHEER" when they saw a police officer in trouble.

I saw NO SUCH THING ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD......

Maybe you are just using the wrong word here to express what you mean....

I take "cheer/cheering" (in this threads context) as jumping up and down in JOY that someone else is getting the stuffing beat out of them........ I have seen nothing of the sort anywhere here..... Please give us an example of such if you see it........

Myself, I find it very saddening (the opposite of cheer) that our police have turned on the public and the vast majority of them are no longer "Peace Officers" but just criminals with badges that get away with things DAILY that us mere "citizens" would be arrested for in a heartbeat if we even thought of doing the same......

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast