What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble? - Page 17
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    And to answer the original question: Probably not, my first duty is to protect my family. My future financial well-being is part of protecting my family. My .02.
    So you would have no problem if you or a member of your family were in a life or death situation and passerbys who could help you chose to keep walking?? You'd be OK with that? If you learned that one of your family members had been beaten to death by a BG and that there were people who could have helped but chose not to.......you'd be OK with that??

I can see it now....."Sorry about your loved one but I didn't want to get involved.......". or how about "Yeah, I saw that guy chasing your wife but for all I know she might have stolen his wallet or something....". Nice. Real nice.

Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.......
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

3. I pretty much said what EM said, just shorter. You going to take him to task also? If not, why not?

I'd have to help. You do not have enough time to call 911 and answer their questions.
    Peaceful- 45ACP "When you want to send the very best"

5. You can never tell when the juices start to flow....but...you have to help another "good" human being. I would have a hard time looking at my family while reading a potential obituary if not stopping.

6. I would help a LEO, no question.

Now a lawyer? Hmmm, might have to think about that.

There is no right or wrong answer to this! As I know that I decide from second to second to respond or not based on the event before me as it unravels. So it's a tossup as to how I respond, a thousand thought processes take place as you act in any event before you take action, trust your gut feeling at the time.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

This is off subject, but it brought up recent feelings about a LEO murdered in Chattanooga. In Chattanooga we had a CHP Sergeant killed in the line of duty this past Saturday. Sgt. Tim Chapin was a 27 year veteran of the force. He was killed by a 26 year old thug that broke his parole in Colorado where he had been let out into the community after serving 8 years of a 20 year sentence for prior armed robberies. This POS robbed several businesses before his trashy criminal family helped him hide from the authorities. They brought 16 stolen guns with them. You can follow the story at Chattanooga News | timesfreepress.com or Chattanoogan.com - Breaking News in Chattanooga
    The only good thing is the LEO's shot off his pecker.

And for protection against the BG for helping the police in Florida:
    776.05 Law enforcement officers; use of force in making an arrest.—A law enforcement officer, or any person whom the officer has summoned or directed to assist him or her, need not retreat or desist from efforts to make a lawful arrest because of resistance or threatened resistance to the arrest. The officer is justified in the use of any force:
    (1) Which he or she reasonably believes to be necessary to defend himself or herself or another from bodily harm while making the arrest;
    (2) When necessarily committed in retaking felons who have escaped; or
    (3) When necessarily committed in arresting felons fleeing from justice. However, this subsection shall not constitute a defense in any civil action for damages brought for the wrongful use of deadly force unless the use of deadly force was necessary to prevent the arrest from being defeated by such flight and, when feasible, some warning had been given, and:
    (a) The officer reasonably believes that the fleeing felon poses a threat of death or serious physical harm to the officer or others; or
    (b) The officer reasonably believes that the fleeing felon has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm to another person.

10. That's a good law. But remember: In the heat of the action, the cop may shout something like "stop him!" or "take him down!" or "don't let him get away!" whereupon the helpful citizen fires. After the action, when the perp is dead or seriously injured (his family already thinking lawsuit) and reports are being written, the cop may very well say "I just told this man to grab the suspect; I had no idea he was going to shoot him!" This kind of stuff happens. In the after-action environment, the cop will always cover HIS ass first. So if you're going to risk your life, your family's future and everything you have and ever will have, to be a Good Samaritan, be DAMNED sure of what that cop really wants before you press the trigger.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Bigotist

If it's a cop, with the majority being lowlifes, my weapon would remain holstered and I would go on about my business. Their sht don't stink when it's the other way around!!!
    ~I CARRY A GUN, BECAUSE A COP IS TOO HEAVY~

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast