What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble? - Page 2
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble?

I would ALWAYS render assistance if needed and or called for. I completely agree in the initial OP but a call to 911 then assist would be the prudent thing to do. As for Lethal Force, if the situation calls for it, do it. SC Laws protect third party involvement IF the victim in your opinion is or will be further greatly harmed or killed. ( Don't have the exact wording right)
    Some States could even file charges if you do not aide and or assist. AND prior to a rebute from anyone......I am not John Wayne or any type of hero just stepping up to the plate if called for. That's what Americans do where I'm from!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

If the person gets the cop's gun, no question on helping the officer. If it is a fight, ask if he/she wants help.

Cool

I guess I am just old-fashioned but I would have to try to help the LEO. He may be an absolute horse's patoot in every day life but he is still a LEO and in need of help. The TV news story of a civilian helping the cop being beat down was particularly impressive because it was a woman who helped him. I didn't see any big strong men jumping into the fray but maybe there weren't any around. The BG had his hand on the LEO's weapon when the woman started beating the stew out of his head and helped the officer retain his footing. That woman should also be given some recognition for her actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    I guess I am just old-fashioned but I would have to try to help the LEO. He may be an absolute horse's patoot in every day life but he is still a LEO and in need of help. The TV news story of a civilian helping the cop being beat down was particularly impressive because it was a woman who helped him. I didn't see any big strong men jumping into the fray but maybe there weren't any around. The BG had his hand on the LEO's weapon when the woman started beating the stew out of his head and helped the officer retain his footing. That woman should also be given some recognition for her actions.

The LEO are here for our protection when we need them, Whats wrong with us helping them when They need it. Just My Opinion.
    Its Better To Have It And Not Need It Than To Need It And Not Have It.

Without hesitation. I would call 911 and give a sitrep and a detailed description of myself if there was time. The fact that there was violent resistance going on satisfies the requirements in my state (Oregon) to use reasonable force. If the BG got the officers weapon then he has demonstrated Ability, Opportunity and Intent to cause serious injury or death. He would be shot, and continue to be shot until he quit moving.
    "A Veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor.

8. I would help the cop without hesitation. We've become way too much of an "it ain't my problem" society, imho.

Here is my answer from another forum where the topic was about this same incident....

First, I want to say that I am glad this turned out well for the officer.

I wish no harm to anyone, but my signature line is not just some cute saying....

Would I have come to the aid of the officer? I really do not know.... Because of some encounters I have had with police, when I broke NO LAWS, yet was harassed, belittled, threatened, etc.... these encounters (and others well documented that have happened to other people) have lead me to believe I may have to defend myself from the police someday for doing nothing illegal, up to and including using lethal force to defend my life.....

How do I know that the person I see fighting an officer isnt someone in that type of situation?

The police have brought this on themselves, and have alienated some of the very people who would have defended them to the death in yrs past......

I am also wondering WHY was the perp even out of jail with his type of record? This is another example of one of the many things wrong with our so-called justice system.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    I am also wondering WHY was the perp even out of jail with his type of record? This is another example of one of the many things wrong with our so-called justice system.
    if this was in Illinois you could blame gov quinn's early release program...

but i would like to think i would help, but it would have to depend on the situation...
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

11. I'm helping.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast