What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble? - Page 25
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble?

here are some thoughts:

18-8-107. Refusing to aid a peace officer.

A person, eighteen years of age or older, commits a class 1 petty offense when, upon command by a person known to him to be a peace officer, he unreasonably refuses or fails to aid the peace officer in effecting or securing an arrest or preventing the commission by another of any offense.

Source: L. 71: R&RE, p. 456, 1. C.R.S. 1963: 40-8-107.

KNOWN to be a peace officer? Hmmm, we are told that if we have doubts we are to drive to the nearest police station, or to ask for their ID card which you may call in to the station to verify identity. Their wearing of a uniform may help establish identification but in itself is not identification.

"Unreasonably refuses" is also left to interpretation. Can I refuse to aid him in arresting my brother? Or what if I believe the person is innocent? Who decides unreasonable?

Just playing devil's advocate here. After all if I just thing to guy is a cop and he is not I assume liability for my actions.

4. Young Deputy working the busy canyon out of ABQ NM was shot and killed by a Career Violent Repeat Offender (what's new). No one stopped or even came forward as witness. Lawers for defense are still trying to get 'Astorga's term shortened..to get him back in among law abiding society. Firearms are a 'Right' to self defense (from society's Astorga's), Not a Priviledge.
    Last edited by Blogengeezer; 06-04-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: posted as double worded?

I find it curiously interesting that we the people are trying to fight for our basic rights that shall not be infringed, thereby making us appear to be lesser beings than those authorized larger magazines and other "special" rights conferred to LE based on their status, yet when LE is in trouble all of a sudden we are supposed to help them...by law? Sorry I have a problem with that. Think about it. It's a serf helping one of the king's tax enforcers. If anyone gets in trouble for NOT helping there's a great argument for their defense here. Once again playing devil's advocate. What I would do depends entirely on a multitude of options in any situation.

Quote Originally Posted by winnre View Post
    I find it curiously interesting that we the people are trying to fight for our basic rights that shall not be infringed, thereby making us appear to be lesser beings than those authorized larger magazines and other "special" rights conferred to LE based on their status, yet when LE is in trouble all of a sudden we are supposed to help them...by law? Sorry I have a problem with that. Think about it. It's a serf helping one of the king's tax enforcers. If anyone gets in trouble for NOT helping there's a great argument for their defense here. Once again playing devil's advocate. What I would do depends entirely on a multitude of options in any situation.
    Flip him the bird and let him die like a viking.

OR,

Whip out your CCW Badge and start blasting.

There is probably some happy medium.

Only fools rush in where ealges fear to fly.

If it is within my power to help the officer or anybody for that matter. Call 911, survey the situation, yell at them, etc. If they keep doing what they are doing, and I can make a difference. Make em stop.

Psalm 82:3-5

Wink Only Fools Rush In

Wise men say, only fools rush in
    But I can't help falling in love with you.

Wise men say, only fools rush in
    But I can't help falling in love with you
    Shall I stay? Would it be a sin?
    'Cause I can't help falling in love with you.

As the river flows gently to the sea
    Darling, so we go
    Some things are meant to be.

Take my hand
    Take my whole life, too

As the river flows gently to the sea
    Darling, so we go
    Some things are meant to be.

Take my hand
    Take my whole life, too

'Cause I can't help falling in love with you
    'Cause I can't help falling in love with you

G50ae...
    I just KNEW somebody would go there! lol

Psalm 82:3-5

Quote Originally Posted by Iam2Taz View Post
    G50ae...
    I just KNEW somebody would go there! lol
    I posted the UB40 version, not the Elvis version or any of the recent remakes.

Ok, I am bringing up a dead thread here but seriously? People have issues with what some LEO have done so they feel they would not help another who is being assaulted? That is just another point of what is wrong with the world today. The only good argument I have read in here is that how do you know the LEO was not in the wrong? Not normal, but I am sure it does happen. Still, I would help.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast