What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble? - Page 26
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: What if you saw a Law Enforcement Officer in Trouble?

I think I understand the question well enough, but I'm not coming up with a clear cut answer.

Before reading many of the "negative" response, I think I would have said "Heck yes I'd get involved" but then I started thinking about what I'm reading here.

Who is the guy in the struggle with the cop? What is he capable of? I've read descriptions that range from the all encompassing 'bad guy' to 'homicidal criminal'. We come up on the scenario in the OP, do we even know what is going on? NO we don't. We are making way too many assumptions.

How do I know that guy struggling with the cop didn't just kill his own wife and kids and he REALLY doesn't care who else he kills? I distract the cop by getting involved just enough for the BG to get the cops gun and kills the cop and me? No thank you. And don't tell me that's even more reason to get involved. How does the cop know that I'm not with the BG? He doesn't. He could treat my desire to get involved as a threat. And what happens when another patrol car rolls up on the scene? Will the arriving cops KNOW that I'm a good guy just trying to help or will I get a club in the back of the head?

Am I supposed to wade into it and just shoot the person I THINK is a bad guy? The majority of us automatically assume the Uniform is the good guy and the plain cloth is the bad guy. If nothing else in this world I've learned looks can be deceiving.

I'll leave all the Sheep dog stuff to the younger crowd.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Speaking from the LEO prospective

"YES"

Sometimes backup is several minutes out. Things can go south in seconds!

4. Officer in trouble

No Doubt, even not knowing what kind of person the officer may be. A very demanding and stressful job, decisions are made in an instant. Know, if the officer is about to lose his Firearm and possibly shot with his own weapon...no doubt i would shoot the criminal. At that point, he has just commited a Felony and quite possibly commit at least one Murder. Just imagine how many other people would be in danger with a person who just killed an officer with his/her own weapon? Not much to be scared of at that point. As far as legal ramifications go, i would hope a thankful officer and their Family would be happy to see a citizen coming to the aid of a loved one.

5. You have no right to pull your weapon to hold a person. If you pull your weapon to protect life of someone or your life kill the BG. You have no right to act like a leo. If you hold the BG your in trouble with the law.

You do have a right to protect yourself and OTHERS in immediate danger... If the officer is clearly in trouble, you would not be in trouble for aiding to the officer.....

With that said, like stated above, you need to be cautious of responding units, they have no idea what your attentions are, all they know is they received a "officer needs assistance" call and when they arrive you ate standing there with a loaded firearm pointing in the officers direction, things could go south quickly.

As a current LEO, I would be grateful of my life was in danger, however your safety is my priority also, therefore make you attentions clear, so I know what your intentions are, and when arriving backup is near, reholster your weapon so the responding does not think you are part of the BG....

Thanks again to all that would look out for the safety of our men and women in blue ....

Quote Originally Posted by 384540 View Post
    You have no right to pull your weapon to hold a person. If you pull your weapon to protect life of someone or your life kill the BG. You have no right to act like a leo. If you hold the BG your in trouble with the law.
    While there is some truth to your statement I'm not sure it would apply here. Two people rolling around on the ground fighting? I'd be very cautious about firing any shots. I am fairly certain that in that situation if you were able to stop the attacker the cop would handcuff them on the spot and then they're his problem.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

You have no right to pull your weapon to hold a person. If you pull your weapon to protect life of someone or your life kill the BG. You have no right to act like a leo. If you hold the BG your in trouble with the law.

I'm going to have to agree with gkeil961 and Treo. In a situation with a LEo and a BG tossing around on the ground, i would be hesitant to just pop off some shots. I feel that after " stating my intentions to the officer" i would definatly hold the Bg at gunpoint until the officer can " cuff the suspect". In doing this, i would like to believe that i would not recieve any grief or legal ramifications from the LEO, if i comply with the LEO's commands during and after the situation has been resolved and immediatly reholster my weapon as soon as he regains control of the situation.

Just my two cents.

-Logos-

9. New Mexico is a vast, sparsely populated territory. The State Highway Patrol Officer is alone in the overwhelming majority of highway stops. Several incidents over the past years, resulted in the patrolman's death. One involved a 'first' in it's aftermath, hijacking of airliner... to Cuba. In others with brighter endings, a few conscientious drivers, at their own substantial risk, have physically intervened, thereby saving the officers involved in 'life or death' struggles. Discernment is the key. Situational Awareness is paramount in judgement. What is right, is not always as simple as black and white, especially in today's maxi-legitimized society.

I would help an LEO in trouble just like I would help any other stranger that was in trouble. Completely situational dependant, and whatever actions I choose to do will be with good intent, to the best of my knowledge, and with the best of my abilities.

@384

No.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is wrong on so many levels. You do have the right to hold a person. Many states have citizen arrest laws that allows you to do just that.

As for this statement "If you pull your weapon to protect life of someone or your life kill the BG." I am not sure what you are saying. It seems like you are saying that if you draw your weapon then kill the BG. First, if you draw and the BG immediately stops what he is doing you do not shoot. A vast majority of self defense situations requiring a firearm just requires the brandishing of a firearm or letting the BG know you are armed (I am not saying give a "stop or I will shoot" warning). Second, in a self defense situation you do not shoot to kill, you shoot to STOP THE THREAT.
    The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose. - Frederick Douglass

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast