So you're walking through the mall parking lot... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So you're walking through the mall parking lot...

hmm.. of course you can run the play in your head a million times, but chances are it will be nothing like that. I'd probably try to get my hand on my gun any way I can.. I keep my wallet in my front left pocket. I'd probably throw it in a way so he would have to move to get it and hopefully look away from me for a split second. it all depends on how close he is to me also. if he is close enough I think I could make a move and break his arm befor ehe knew it.. of course like I said it can be done in your head a million times, but in reality... never know until it happens
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Actually,

I don't think most armed robberies/muggings take place at 5 yards distance. The BG is usually already up close and personal. But, of course if he steps out from behind a pillar 20 yards away he would expect the wallet to be thrown so I'm probably throwing the wallet and then considering whether my life is in imminent danger or whether I have adequate cover.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

4. This type of scenario is the reason I am thinking of packing a light weight 38 snub in my back pocket. If I am facing him I will appear to be doing just what he wants me to do. Not sure who would take the bullet first though I am pretty sure I will get off my shot. Now do I have the cajones to do it like that when the time comes? Well I hope not to have to find out but I do know I have the will to use my firearm if I feel there is a need to.

I think my choice to draw or not will largely be based on my impression of him. If he is wearing a mask I may hand over the wallet and live to fight another day. If he is unmasked and jumpy or dead calm well then to my way of thinking I am already dead unless I can shoot first.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    And someone comes out from behind a column with a handgun in his/her hand pointing it at you. They tell you to hand over your wallet. Your wallet/money clip is in its normal pocket and you are carrying your normal carry weapon in its normal place.

What's your move?
    If available, duck for cover behind an ENGINE BLOCK (see www.theboxotruth.com and click on the Buick o' Truth for reasons why), and draw. If nothing's available, toss my wallet to him, draw, & Double Tap.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Ok, here's a twist...what if you throw your loot and the BG, still having his weapon on you, tells you to go retrieve it and HAND it to him (or her)?? Then what?
    Glock 27
    Walther PPS 1st Edition 9mm

"You can't beat a woman who shoots.":Kiss:

Quote Originally Posted by RMcLeod21 View Post
    Ok, here's a twist...what if you throw your loot and the BG, still having his weapon on you, tells you to go retrieve it and HAND it to him (or her)?? Then what?
    First time I heard of such a scenario, but in any case, the parameters of the encounter just changed. The BG will be giving me a reason to move, in which case I would take the opportunity to draw down while taking cover. At this point the BG won't be worried about "the loot" anymore, because the BG will be lying on the ground with several extra holes. :D

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I thougth about this thread as I walked through the mall parking lot tonight. I kept my hand on my P32 in my front pocket lol.

It's a lot harder to shoot someone over your wallet if their that close and the wife and kids are next to you.
    If you served in any branch of the Military, THANK YOU

10. Real life story of same situation at the mall (Indy)

This happened to my brother in law last month. Bad thing was he was not a concealed carry person. He also had his wife and 5 year old with him. What do you do??? He told me that it was the worst feeling of his life to be there setting completely helpless and no way to defend his family or himself. He finally talked the guy down but he was lucky... very lucky. I told him that he needs to find the time to get a CCW and start carrying. You never know.
    Browning Buckmark .22LR
    Sig .25
    Walther PPK/S .380
    S&W 3913 9mm
    S&W M&P 40C
    S&W Mod 629 44 Mag
    S&W 500 Mag

It's sad that your brother in law had to learn the hard way. I'm surprised he decided to talk the BG down. If my family was with me, and the guy had a gun, my first response would be "here you go", please leave my family alone. I wouldn't risk aggravating the BG any more then he probably already is. :( Safety of my family is far more important than a couple hundred dollars and a few credit cards. ;)

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast