Thoughts on additional protection?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on additional protection?

1. Thoughts on additional protection?

I carry a glock & a ruger , both 9mm. Crime is swiftly getting closer to my home.

Any thoughts on additional protection?

RPG?

4. Replace it with S&W M&P 45 w/ Crimson Trace Laser Grips and all Apex Tactical Internals or also carry a S&W J-frame .38 w/ Gold Dot HP 135 gr +P and Crimson Trace Laser Grips in addition.

Could you maybe move?

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    RPG?
    I was gonna say Claymore mine the yard but hey, RPGs work.

In all honesty, if you are talking about in home defense, get yourself a good shorter barreled shotgun with some 00 buckshot as well as as short of barreled AR you can own. But more important than even that, get as much training as you can with the tools you have!!! I carry a Glock 23 everywhere I go and I've yet to worry about the crime rates in my area being more than what that gun can handel.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

It would help if we had more information. I want to agree w/ buck slayer about the shotgun/AR for home defense especially w/ the rise in multiple participant home invasions. I would also look at what you can do to make your home more resistant to break in. If you keep the bad guys outside the wire you don't have to worry about shooting them

If OTOH you're saying that you carry both a Ruger and a GLOCK for concealed carry I would recommend you switch to one platform. As an example I carry a CZ75B and/or a CZ 2075 RAMI both .40 S&W and both will accept the 75B magazine. One less thing to worry about under stress
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

My theory is start with deterrance - exterior lighting, motion detectors, dog, alarm with SIGNAGE, harden doors and windows. If you can just make it easier for bad guys to bother somebody else, you have solved your problem. If deterrance doesn't work, my next line of defense is a short barrel, high capacity 12 ga loaded with buckshot.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    My theory is start with deterrence - exterior lighting, motion detectors, dog, alarm with SIGNAGE, harden doors and windows. If you can just make it easier for bad guys to bother somebody else, you have solved your problem. If deterrence doesn't work, my next line of defense is a short barrel, high capacity 12 ga loaded with buckshot.
    Good call on this stuff. There is also a company called Medco that makes super high security locks, they are a bit expensive, but I can tell you that as a locksmith, I even have troubles getting past them if I have to. Kick plates on the doors work well with high security locks and those are not all too expensive. Most of these things make it more secure without making it look like you have something that is worth the trouble. Battery powered magnetic alarms are something that is again fairly cheap and will let you know if someone is coming in your windows.

There is almost nothing out there that will completely solve your security problem if crime shows up at your door. There is nearly nothing that someone with some locksmithing training cant get through in under 30 seconds. Though there are few exceptions.

One thing that I tell people all the time is there is only one completely unmistakable sound in the world. That is the racking of the slide on a pump action 12 ga. And if you are somewhere you are not supposed to be and you hear that sound, it is the scariest sound in the world.

The options for home defense and security are limitless, if you want I can set you up with a list of what you need to get according to what you can afford. Just let me know.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

Train with what you have to become proficient. No sense adding to the list of things you can use "pretty good", When you're after protection.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

I live in a nice neighborhood. Quite a few LEOs live in my development (some on this site would consider that a bad thing but I don't). Unfortunately thugs have cars and like to come into neighborhoods like mine once in a while.

I have motion sensitive floodlights 3/4s of the way around my house. The front of my house is well lit by a street light. I've landscaped my property quite a bit but none of it is near a window where a BG could hide while attempting to break in. Just small, low plants near the windows. My nieghbors on both sides of me and behind me also have flood lights.

Inside I have wireless pet-immune motion detectors controlling an alarm system. Installed it myself and it works well. No more than 2 seconds from the time I enter the MD's field of view until it starts it's warning beeps. The alarm itself is so shrill and loud that unless you had hearing protection you'd want to get out as soon as possible. The control panel is tucked well out of sight. I control it with a couple of keychain remotes.

I don't have a dog (would love to but I'm out of the house so much that it wouldn't be fair to the animal) but I do have (don't laugh) an outstanding watch-cat (I said don't laugh!). My cat hates other people and reacts accordingly when anybody approaches the house. Being a cat she's most active and alert at night - prowling the house in the dark hours looking for lizards or Palmetto bugs that might have slipped in uninvited. Her angry reaction to strangers (growling and hissing as opposed to barking) is just another layer of security for my house.

Oh, and I have guns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast