Shaking Hands
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaking Hands

handgonnetoter Guest

Shaking Hands

I shot my first handgun while I was in the Marines many years ago, but have always suffered, about 50% of the time, with hands that shake! It really raised hell with accuracy at times. I don't always have that problem and I don't think it has anything to do with getting older because I had that problem years ago when I was young and in my prime. I was a rifle range coach while in the service a couple of times because I shot expert three years in a row and am rock steady with the rifle. Does anyone else out there have this issue? Am I trying too hard or just have some strange physical problem that other people have too? Looking for some advice from some of you experienced and trained handgunners out there to find some answers. Thanks.

I've had the same problem my whole life. Some days are better than others. I find meditation and streching before shooting helps.
    and then I burst into flame

You should see how I shake, if I drink coffee before going to range!!!! Be sure you are not gripping too tight, and "I know" you have the correct breathing techniques.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    You should see how I shake, if I drink coffee before going to range!!!! Be sure you are not gripping too tight, and "I know" you have the correct breathing techniques.
    You know, I've never even though about breathing techniques while shooting handgun. I have pretty good dicipline while shooting rifle, but never really gave much thought to applying that too handgunning. Is the breathing the same as with the rifle?

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by desertfisch View Post
    I've had the same problem my whole life. Some days are better than others. I find meditation and streching before shooting helps.
    I don't know how to meditate, but I have tried to strech my hands out the best I can before and during shooting. I get frustrated sometimes. At first I thought it was some kind of inner fear of shooting a handgun, but I think that is just silly. Thanks for the advice and I will keep trying.

Ask your doc for a prescription for propanolol. It's often precribed for high blood pressure. It lowers your heart rate and blood pressure, and relieves tremors.

It is not a psychoactive med, is non-sedating and non-habit forming, does not affect mental alertness, judgement, or dexterity.

Beta blockers, such as propranolol are NOT the answer to shaking hands.

They have diverse and potentially dangerous side effects including (just to name a few) bronchospasm, bradycardia, insulin resistance, and impotence.

Continued non-medical use can open up some more serious problems.

They are great tools for treating medical conditions, but are not a panacea for marksmanship. Besides, they are banned by every shooting sport sanctioning authority.

-Doc

I will respectfully defer to your professional advice.

i also have had the shaking hands problem but it seems to be at its worst when others are watching (any activity). alone i am a good shot and the 3 times ive had to use my firearm in a defensive manner i was not shaky (till later). any advice from a doctor on this site? have a very merry christmas and remember to make someone smile today because the world will be a better place if you do

Shackey.........

Don't fell alone ! I have the same problem , but i found it that when i go to the range i get excited but i was not aware of it . I started to get PISSED , stoped everthing and walked away for about 15 minutes ,thinking of the prob. ? I relaxed myself and tryed again and it helped ! Go figure i shoot a bow with a really steady hand , but a hand gun i do shack @ times . I got a Bro has not shot in 20 some yrs. hands shake like a son of a gun but when he shots a hand gun he is DEAD ON , if that don't PISS me off ! So we all hav e to keep trying and dry fire !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast