Racism and Gun Control
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racism and Gun Control

Racism and Gun Control

I find it interesting that this subject has been avidly pushed to the back burner in almost all gun debates. I have done a ton a research, and there are millions of things out there that talk about Hitler's gun control, but it seems that this is a subject nobody wants to tackle. I did find a seriously well written paper for the George Mason University Civil Law Journal from 1991. This is some serious reading, but it still almost doesn't even hint at the fact that gun control for minorities also has historically applied to Economic Status.

Gun Control and Racism

I am kinda wondering if anyone out there has any idea why this subject has not been brought up so thoroughly since 1981. Seems to me that those that would choose to revoke the rite to own guns are usually well off, and have never been victims of an actual violent crime themselves.

Being someone who grew up in the "Inner City", and someone who has had to fight tooth and nail to make a life for himself (Even to this day), I can tell you that a majority of criminals would never attack someone with a gun. So I am wondering what other reason there could be for such limitations on our freedoms.

Also, in a day and age where people are doing everything they can to get away from racism, segregation, and so on, why is this idea based on racism thriving in America? It seems to me that this should be thrown at the people who would take away our freedoms. All it takes is 1 simple question.

Why do you so avidly support an ideal that is based entirely in the subjugation of another race or economic class?
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

Wasn't the first gun control law, about slaves not owning or possessing guns?

Or was it freed slaves?

Not all slaves were black. So, is it still racism?
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Your question is a good one but from my experience I find that in todays society the ones that fight against fun rights the most are also those that seem to yell racism the loudest. You would think that the ones living in the inner city would be the ones wanting guns and fighting the hardest for the overturn of gun laws but I seem to find the opposite true. Just making a broad unfounded statement of opinion here but to me:

Liberals=wanting laws against racism=wanting laws against guns=inner city without guns.

I have no answer other than it appears that your finding of the origin of gun law is correct but has no bearing on todays thoughts on gun control.

here is a quote from the Law Journal entry that linked to:

"In 1640, the first recorded restrictive legislation concerning blacks in Virginia excluding them from owning a gun."

it says

"Virginia law set Negro's apart from all other groups by...by denying them the important rite to bear arms. Few restraints could indicate more clearly the denial to Negro's of membership in the white community. This first for shadowing of the slave codes came in 1640, at just the time when other indications first appeared that Negro's were subject to special treatment."

And as far as FN's equation, I agree totally.

Liberals == Wanting Laws Against Racism == Wanting Laws against Guns == Inner City Without Guns

That equation is exactly why this is so confusing, if they are fighting so hard against racism and racist ideals, then why do they cling to this one so tightly? And the inner city rarely talks about gun control laws because most of the armed people in the inner city (Speaking from experience here) don't care if there are laws that restrict their firearms. They will own/carry/shoot them regardless of what they laws say.

I will have to disagree with you, Calico, on your statement that most of the gun-control advocates are from affluent areas. The most anti-gun elected officials in my area are both minorities and come from inner city areas. Their belief seems to be that if there were no guns there would be no crime, no matter what part of city it is. They were the ones most opposed to any concealed carry whatsoever.
    Why are you worried about holding up the targets for me? It' s a 9mm!

Fair enough FLASCONVA, I think that it is going to be a debate of opinion there, and that would take us way off topic, so I think I am going to bow out of that one while I have the chance, and revert to my original question.

I think the truth is that no matter who it is that is trying to ban guns, there is a general "I am not the one that is racist" tone to America. So if we are dealing with laws that were originally based in racism, why is it that we don't point out that this is a racist ideal?

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    I find it interesting that this subject has been avidly pushed to the back burner in almost all gun debates. I have done a ton a research, and there are millions of things out there that talk about Hitler's gun control, but it seems that this is a subject nobody wants to tackle. I did find a seriously well written paper for the George Mason University Civil Law Journal from 1991. This is some serious reading, but it still almost doesn't even hint at the fact that gun control for minorities also has historically applied to Economic Status.

Gun Control and Racism

I am kinda wondering if anyone out there has any idea why this subject has not been brought up so thoroughly since 1981. Seems to me that those that would choose to revoke the rite to own guns are usually well off, and have never been victims of an actual violent crime themselves.

Being someone who grew up in the "Inner City", and someone who has had to fight tooth and nail to make a life for himself (Even to this day), I can tell you that a majority of criminals would never attack someone with a gun. So I am wondering what other reason there could be for such limitations on our freedoms.

Also, in a day and age where people are doing everything they can to get away from racism, segregation, and so on, why is this idea based on racism thriving in America? It seems to me that this should be thrown at the people who would take away our freedoms. All it takes is 1 simple question.

Why do you so avidly support an ideal that is based entirely in the subjugation of another race or economic class?
    It was either Marx or Lenin who said that one man, with a gun, can control a hundred people. These anti-gun people don't give a ding damn about racism, it is all about control. They do not like the fact that they do not control your destiny.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Wasn't the first gun control law, about slaves not owning or possessing guns?

Or was it freed slaves?

Not all slaves were black. So, is it still racism?
    Yes, and one other point that never seems to come out in the evening news - is that around 450,000 whites died fighting each other over preserving the Union and freeing the slaves. I believe the first gun control laws were passed in the South after the Civil War was over, so that blacks could not get firearms. Unfair, but true.

The majority of the initial gun control laws were implemented after the civil war, but there were recorded laws back to 1640.

Not about racism

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    Fair enough FLASCONVA, I think that it is going to be a debate of opinion there, and that would take us way off topic, so I think I am going to bow out of that one while I have the chance, and revert to my original question.

I think the truth is that no matter who it is that is trying to ban guns, there is a general "I am not the one that is racist" tone to America. So if we are dealing with laws that were originally based in racism, why is it that we don't point out that this is a racist ideal?
    Today's efforts to ban guns are not about racism. They want to ban guns for EVERYONE, regardless of race. I think they are either so stupid and/or illogical to think that criminals won't have guns if they're made illegal. That is so patently stupid that it's laughable. Legality means nothing to criminals; that's why they're criminals!
    Alan, TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast