Would you shoot at a fleeing bank robber like this guy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot at a fleeing bank robber like this guy?

there is no way i would shoot

Cool

Like NavyLT, I won't comment on the individual, only make comments about what I think I might do. Since the BG had left the premises, I would try to remember as much about the incident as possible to tell the police. I don't care if it would legal for me to act, I would not do so unless the BG started shooting in the bank. After he has left is no time for the ordinary citizen to run out and start shooting. Just because it is legal to act doesn't mean you should if you are no longer in danger. I don't feel that not acting is a reflection on my manhood but more a testament to the use of common sense.

4. Quote Originally Posted by mpohio View Post
    The threat was over as the badguys were fleeing.
    The threat was over to whom? I'm sure after this incident the bad guy is going to retire and do no harm to anyone else. The threat is not over. The threat escaped.

And you weren't there. You don't know IF there were any innocent bystanders around to be hit or not. Maybe our "cowboy", maybe our "wyatt erp" had the presence of mind to assess the situation and was reasonably assured that there were no bystanders in the line of fire. We simply don't know if that was the case or not.

Would I have followed the criminal out of the bank? No, I can't imagine that I would. Will I fault someone else for doing it and call them childish names? No, because I wasn't there to see the totality of their actions.

I agree with the replies. In SC, at night, you do have the right to shoot to kill after you have confronted a perp for a citizens arrest, based on suspicion that he had a design to commit a felony, and he tries to escape from your arrest. Different scenario but just change the thread to " would you shoot a fleeing robber at night?" I probably would not but Section 17-13-20 of the SC Code of Laws says you can.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    You know the law of NYS allows you to shoot and kill a fleeing robbery suspect. But do you shoot?
    Is this really true? Am I the ONLY one that does NOT "know" this law??? IF it IS true, then NYS laws are even more DUMB than I thought!!

As a Federal officer I was always trained NOT to shoot a fleeing felon, unless they were endangering others or leaving a facility that had nuclear material.

IF an officer should not shoot a fleeing felon then I certainly would not..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Don't shoot him, that way he can kill his next victim.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

If the circumstances were as said I would not shoot, But if this ******OLE had shot at me or mine at anytime during the incident, I cannot say for sure but I don't think I would have missed

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Why is there such animosity towards this person? Obviously his actions were justified in his state:

and

His shots would have been justified in Washington, as well:
    RCW 9A.16.050: Homicide

and

RCW 9A.16.020: Use of force

Personally, I won't make judgmental statements regarding the person in question. I will say that his actions were justified. IF he would have actually hit the suspect which resulted in the criminals' apprehension or death, how many of the same previous posters here would say, Good! The criminal got what he deserved, justice was done.

In simple answer to the OP's first question, without making less than honorable comments about losing rights and wyatt erp, I will say that I would not chase the criminals and shoot at them.

Remember, the Brady Campaign says exactly the same things about ALL people who carry guns that you are saying about this JUSTIFIED shoot! Maybe we should attempt to conduct ourselves on a higher level than the Brady Bunch does.
    Not exactly. The idea is that he is responsible for all those rounds he fired, and seeing that showed me that his shots went wild and could have hit somebody else. If the police want to shoot rapidly like that, then so be it. We are not the police and the already sceptical public will hold us even more accountable for those shots fired. I am all for some dude like that getting what he deserves, but not at the expense of others possibly getting hit in the crossfire. If the guy would have went in there and started shooting people for the fun of it, then I even might have wanted to shoot at him running away, but that does not seem to be the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The threat was over to whom? I'm sure after this incident the bad guy is going to retire and do no harm to anyone else. The threat is not over. The threat escaped.

And you weren't there. You don't know IF there were any innocent bystanders around to be hit or not. Maybe our "cowboy", maybe our "wyatt erp" had the presence of mind to assess the situation and was reasonably assured that there were no bystanders in the line of fire. We simply don't know if that was the case or not.

Would I have followed the criminal out of the bank? No, I can't imagine that I would. Will I fault someone else for doing it and call them childish names? No, because I wasn't there to see the totality of their actions.
    The reason I disagree w/ this guys actions is because I carry a handgun for self defense not to enforce the law and not to apprehend criminals. Chasing and/or detaining bad guys isn't w/in the scope of my practice. Its not something Im trained or qualified to do.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Well here are my 2 cents.

Whould I shoot at robers that are running away from a bank robery. If I'm not in danger anymore and nobody in the bank is in danger. Probably not.

Now back to the person that had the CCW and shot at the robers 5 times.

Well first it is hard to shoot while moving even if you train for this. Also he may have been overcompensating due to stress and trying to be safe and not shoot anyone.

I would not bash him since I was not there and I also did not walk in his shoes that day.

Everyone that has a CCW has to qualify and demonstrate that you can shoot accurate and handle a gun safely. But almost no one trains after you get your CCW.

so here again I would say.

Train as much real life scenarios as you can.
    Train shooting and moving and moving to cover.

again. I would not bash the guy. it is easy to say stuff in hines sight.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast