Would you shoot at a fleeing bank robber like this guy? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot at a fleeing bank robber like this guy?

I believe most people who carry are probably not TRAINED to shoot at a fleeing suspect. Even though many take defensive pistol courses they mainly teach "DEFENSIVE" type situations. I remember taking a tactical blackwater course and their focus is on "OFFENSIVE" situation and plainly making it clear that "this is not a defensive pistol course" They will train you to shoot your handgun at 75yds, moving targets, and my favorite "The Roger's Range".

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Is this really true? Am I the ONLY one that does NOT "know" this law??? IF it IS true, then NYS laws are even more DUMB than I thought!!

As a Federal officer I was always trained NOT to shoot a fleeing felon, unless they were endangering others or leaving a facility that had nuclear material.

IF an officer should not shoot a fleeing felon then I certainly would not..
    Interestingly enough, last summer we had an incident in the Cleveland area where an FBI agent did shoot a fleeing robber after the agent and a companion were held up.

Cleveland Heights police explain why FBI agent who shot fleeing teen was justified in firing | cleveland.com

Per the OP, NO, I would not give pursuit. I would call 911, give as much details as possible and be done with it. NOW, if the BG's turned toward me with a weapon and or they started blazing away inside/outside the Bank the need to intervene has just been made.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

A similar incident happened in Ohio a few months ago.

Authorities continued the investigation of a Friday bank heist in Cambridge that included an attempted, armed intervention by a citizen.

At about 3:25 p.m., a single suspect entered the U.S. Bank on East Wheeling Avenue and demanded money, Cambridge police said.

After receiving cash -- the amount of which was undisclosed -- the suspect fled to his getaway vehicle, a small, greenish colored, four-door car with rust on it and with the license plate covered.

As the car sped away, a bystander outside the bank fired at the vehicle twice in an effort to stop the suspect from getting away.
    Daily-Jeff.com - Armed robber hits bank; vigilante shoots at suspect

6. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    The reason I disagree w/ this guys actions is because I carry a handgun for self defense not to enforce the law and not to apprehend criminals. Chasing and/or detaining bad guys isn't w/in the scope of my practice. Its not something Im trained or qualified to do.
    I absolutely agree with you, Treo, and feel exactly the same way. What I disagree with is the lowering of some people's level to the same level that the Brady Campaign is on by calling the subject of this discussion childish names.

The way I see it you are not a cop, If you shoot a fleeing person in the back... you just commited murder(***** about that for awhile you little whiners). As the Leos who have chimed in here said, they wouldn't even do it and they are trained for this crap. You took what? a 3 to 10 hour 1 day class and now you are judge jury and executioner. If you don't see the logic behind this, I seriously believe you should have all your gun rights revolked, cause you are more of a threat to society than the bank robber. He physically harmed no one, while you want to shoot the frickin place up. Your a vigilante / ticking time bomb

8. Quote Originally Posted by mpohio View Post
    The way I see it you are not a cop, If you shoot a fleeing person in the back... you just commited murder(***** about that for awhile you little whiners). As the Leos who have chimed in here said, they wouldn't even do it and they are trained for this crap. You took what? a 3 to 10 hour 1 day class and now you are judge jury and executioner. If you don't see the logic behind this, I seriously believe you should have all your gun rights revolked, cause you are more of a threat to society than the bank robber. He physically harmed no one, while you want to shoot the frickin place up. Your a vigilante / ticking time bomb
    If you kill someone in self defense, even if they are about to shoot you first, you commit homicide. Read your statutes, buddy.

It depends, are they shooting at you first? Is any threat still lingering? Most I would do is draw my weapon, and check the door a few minutes after I assumed they left to "see if the coast is clear" I would not run out and shoot them unless I absolutley had to.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

If the BG is running away, and the threat of injury or death is gone, The decision to chase after them and invite danger is not a good decision. This is only my opinion ( which we all know what thats worth ), But It may not be the cpl holder that shoots someone accidently, but the criminals who choose to return fire, Which makes the role reversed and the cpl holder becomes the perpetrator. My fear would be because I started the gun fight, some lawyer would prosecute me if an innocent bystander was injured because if it were not for my decision to start a gun fight, the bad guys probably would not have to open fire. Just my thoughts!

Bank has Insurance and FBI to track and nab BG, I have family and fleeing BG is no threat, when he came in he was a threat but running away, no way.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast