Would you shoot at a fleeing bank robber like this guy? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot at a fleeing bank robber like this guy?

1. First he is fleeing and now not a immediate threat. Secondly I am not potentially taking anyones life unless it is nessisary. Thirdly, the risk of accidental bystander shooting would be high if I undrstand the situation correctly.

3. Quote Originally Posted by ShooterRick View Post
    Thirdly, the risk of accidental bystander shooting would be high if I undrstand the situation correctly.
    Respectfully, that has been a point of complete and total assumption in this thread.

I wouldn't follow the robbers outside to begin with whether it's legal or not, let alone shoot at them while they are fleeing. That's not what I got my CCW for. But I would watch the door to make sure they didn't encounter something that made them decide to come back inside and take hostages. If I see them coming back in the door they become an immediate lethal threat and I'll do all I can to stop them.

I'd do my best to remember what happened, be a good witness and so forth, but I'm not sure how well I'd do at that never having had any practice at it.

Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; 01-04-2011 at 05:07 AM. Reason: spelling

If I think my life is in danger then I fire away, if not I don't.

A person fleeing the scene is no long a threat to me. I would have a hard time justifying shooting someone running away from me and me shooting him in the back. That is begging for legal problems.
    The yellow jester does not play but gently pulls the strings
    and smiles as the puppets dance in the Court of the Crimson King

This guy obviously had a problem with aim.If i felt confident i could hit them,i would.Thats my money to their stealing.
    I Love Nicki Minaj

Quote Originally Posted by .45 Ben View Post
    This guy obviously had a problem with aim.If i felt confident i could hit them,i would.Thats my money to their stealing.
    No, it is not your money. it is the Bank's money.

When you transfer money to a bank you relinquish ownership of the money in exchange for the banK's promise to pay you a specified amount under specified conditions. the fact that a robber took the exact same dollar bills you had just handed to the teller is of no significance. the Bank still owe's you on the promise because the thief made off with the Bank's money.

Now, if the robber gets the cash from you before you hand it to the teller, then it is your money.

I seriously doubt that I would shoot a fleeing bank robber but I believe it was about 20 years ago in Florence, SC. A man pulled up to the bank in his pick-up truck just as a robber ran out the door and several people screaming about being robbed. The man reached behind the seat of his pick-up and pulled out his 30-06, He proceeded to take aim with his hunting rifle and with one shot stopped the perp in his tracks.

He did not kill him but the fellow did spend some time in the hospital getting over his little escapade. For the next few days all the talk around town was about whether or not the shooter should be charged. The shot was about 100 yards so hitting a moving target at that range wasn't bad. One of the local attorneys pronounced that he would represent the "hero" for free if he was charged. In the end no charges were filed against the shooter and the robber spent a good bit of time in jail once he left the hospital and never was able to file a civil suit.

I think the fellow was crazy for taking a shot like that but it all worked out. I would not take a chance on that happening again only 20 or so years later. I don't believe you could get away with it in SC, TX or NY no matter what the law says.

Would I have followed them out? Yes...and attempted to ascertain where they went and/or the description and license number of a car in which they might escape. If the situation allowed stopping their flight without endangering bystanders, I would also do that (including with deadly force if needed). Would I have shot at them while they were running away in a situation where I might hit someone else? No.

Possibly my priorities are slightly different than some others because, in addition to my home state permit, I carry under the authority of HR 218.

No I would not shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Is this really true? Am I the ONLY one that does NOT "know" this law??? IF it IS true, then NYS laws are even more DUMB than I thought!!

As a Federal officer I was always trained NOT to shoot a fleeing felon, unless they were endangering others or leaving a facility that had nuclear material.

IF an officer should not shoot a fleeing felon then I certainly would not..
    Agreed, this came about due to Tennessee VS Garner... I was trained the same way... I'm real curious about this NYS law..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast