Why is .45 the new 9mm? - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is .45 the new 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    Why is .45 the new 9mm?
    I think the OP is alluding to the matter of the .45's increasing popularity, and the answer is pretty simple. Smart people catch on over time and eventually realize or figure out what S&W645 just said.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    A bullet simply cannot knock a man down. If it had the energy to do so, then equal energy would be applied against the shooter and he too would be knocked down. This is simple physics, and has been known for hundreds of years.
    This a good example of the selective reasoning applied here all the time. And it would in fact be true if the gun was a block of granite with no moving parts.

That's the part they leave out: Not so simple physics.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get shot with either one of them, but I digress....

4. Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    This a good example of the selective reasoning applied here all the time. And it would in fact be true if the gun was a block of granite with no moving parts.

That's the part they leave out: Not so simple physics.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get shot with either one of them, but I digress....
    Talk about selective reasoning. Your preference is the .45 obviously and are biased. You have no information to challenge the findings of the FBI who I think may know a thing or two about forensics, and ballistics.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Same company ammo of the same type in like guns 9mm vs .45. Bullet weight will be higher in the .45 as will the lb/ft of energy. In fact in full size guns for both sizes, the .45 will still be flying at the same speed as the 9mm leaving the barrel, 100 yds downrange.

And I never concider the .45 as the new 9mm. .45 has always been the ammo since 1911. The others are the wannabes.
    More incorrect information.

As the chart linked below shows, .45 ACP has a muzzle velocity slower than the 100 yard velocity of the 9mm. This is just one example of what most (all?) ammo makers will tell you. What do you know that ammunition manufacturers don't?

PMC Bronze Line Handgun Ammunition, | PMC Ammunition: Precision Made Cartridges

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Talk about selective reasoning. Your preference is the .45 obviously and are biased. You have no information to challenge the findings of the FBI who I think may know a thing or two about forensics, and ballistics.
    Actually, if you want to be precise, the gun would have to be a 230gr block of granite to expend the same energy into the shooter. Pretty small. Actually physically impossible, so....

But I don't think this is the time or place for physics lessons here. Look up the terms "inertia" and "dissipation in dynamic force" if you need more clarification.

What the FBI knows or not may however, be a subject for debate...

7. Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Actually, if you want to be precise, the gun would have to be a 230gr block of granite to expend the same energy into the shooter. Pretty small. Actually physically impossible, so....

But I don't think this is the time or place for physics lessons here. Look up the terms "inertia" and "dissipation in dynamic force" if you need more clarification.

What the FBI knows or not may however, be a subject for debate...
    And you have credentials that outweigh those of the person conducting the study?

I'm just saying many major study's confirm that .45 vs 9mm is a useless comparison. If you can find a study conducted by a reputable company, agency, or university proving otherwise I think it would be better than stating your opinion with no verifiable study's, charts, or research behind it....
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

So tell us then CST, what DOES explain the general public's newfound affinity for the .45?

All arguments about the relative merits of the rounds aside...

Be careful, because I'm prepared to agree with things like groupthink and herd mentality. That explains alot.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    So tell us then CST, what DOES explain the general public's newfound affinity for the .45?

All arguments about the relative merits of the rounds aside...

Be careful, because I'm prepared to agree with things like groupthink and herd mentality. That explains alot.
    I'd venture to guess it's the rumored "knock down power" that comes with .45ACP, don't know for sure. Personally, a .45ACP beats bare hands, as does a 9mm, I prefer 9mm because according to my research it'll do the same thing as a .45ACP at half the cost allowing me to train more for the same $.

Blah Blah Blah.. ya know theres a saying.. I'd rather be shot by an idiot with a .45, Than a marksman with a 9mm.. shot placement gentleman shot placement. Hell a .22 will kill ya if it hits ya in the occular cavity. who here thinks they can put a .22 round in the occular cavity at defensive distances???

Quote Originally Posted by gynojunkie View Post
    It's a large projectile and, whether RN or JHP, large projectiles make big wounds and stopping power (I don't care a hoot about 'one-shot stops'); I also reload and the .45 is simple, straight, fairly easy and low pressure; 9 mm & 40 mm can get very twitchy on the reload, whereas the .45 is quite forgiving.

Yes, .45's are heavier guns, less concealable, but there are lots of options to solve those 'problems.' And those heavier guns dampen the recoil to very manageable--so you can practice, fairly inexpensively, too--because you need muscle memory to be effective when the SHTF.

Finally, John Moses Browning knew his STUFF!
    I want to know who is out there reloading 40 milimeter rounds
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast