Why is .45 the new 9mm? - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is .45 the new 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I want to know who is out there reloading 40 milimeter rounds
    Yeah, can I get that in HE or incendiary?

Got a Bofors out in the barn I might just have to break out one of these days....

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    But if you hit some thug gang banger who is wearing body armor with a .45, you are surely going to put them on their a$$.

Is this observation made as a result of all your "Military / Biker" experience?
    enquiring minds want to know
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

The 1911A1 has more confirmed Kills then any other pistol since 1911. Hence why I carry it. Those are stats I can believe in.

Keep your powder dry Boys!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    The 1911A1 has more confirmed Kills then any other pistol since 1911. Hence why I carry it. Those are stats I can believe in.

Keep your powder dry Boys!
    Citation please.

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Citation please.
    I was wondering the same thing
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I want to know who is out there reloading 40 milimeter rounds
    I'd worry about the intent of the person even having them. Bofors are rather large to carry around.

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    More incorrect information.

As the chart linked below shows, .45 ACP has a muzzle velocity slower than the 100 yard velocity of the 9mm. This is just one example of what most (all?) ammo makers will tell you. What do you know that ammunition manufacturers don't?

PMC Bronze Line Handgun Ammunition, | PMC Ammunition: Precision Made Cartridges
    PMC gives lousy info. Even though I use their 230gr FMJ .45 ACP for target ammo.

How about comparing ammo that I have. Hornady .45ACP +P 200 gr XTP vs .45ACP 185 gr FTX vs 9mm 115 gr FTX or XTP where they publish the ft/lb at all tested distances?

Test Barrel (5") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    .45ACP+P 200gr XTP
    Muzzle 50 100
    1055/494 982/428 925/380
    = 87.6% of velocity at 100yds

.45ACP 185gr FTX
    Muzzle 50 100
    1000/411 936/360 883/321
    = 88% of velocity at 100yds

Test Barrel (4") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    9mm 115 gr FTX
    Muzzle 50 100
    1140/332 1030/271 954/232
    = 83.6% of velocity at 100yds

9mm 115gr XTP
    Muzzle 50 100
    1155/341 1047/280 971/241
    = 84.0% of velocity at 100yds

Yes, I got the velocity mixed up with the force. :( Speed drop is greater in 9 mm in the same type bullet. Force of the .45ACP +P XTP is greater at 100yds than either 9 mm is at the barrel. Force of the .45 FTX is almost the same at 100yds as either 9mm at the barrels.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...nockdown-power
    And in the link for the article, force of the 9mm = 1 lb dropped 6 ft while the .45 was = 1 lb dropped from 11.4 ft. Or nearly double.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I'd worry about the intent of the person even having them. Bofors are rather large to carry around.
    Could be a M203

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Now there's some scientifically-inaccurate physics-ignorant white-trash logic, if I ever heard it!
    Speak for yourself.....
    Recoil (often called kickback or simply kick) is the backward momentum of a gun when it is discharged. In technical terms, the recoil caused by the gun exactly balances the forward momentum of the projectile, according to Newton's third law.
    Recoil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    Ok, years ago 9mm was the cal. of choice by the masses. Now it seems .45 is. Why is that? Not that I disagree, I prefer it, but why do you??

Gimpy
    <chuckle>. You must be a young man. I can remember when the .45ACP was considered the only serious semi-auto round and 9mm handguns were relatively scarce and hard to sell. It wasn't until I was in my thirties, in the mid-nineteen-eighties, that the US military's adoption of the Beretta 9mm pistol and the Glock's acceptance by police agencies as a replacement for the .38/.357 Magnum revolvers that the 9mm started to become popular.

Suddenly, 9mm pistols with relatively large capacity magazines compared to the 1911a1 .45ACP or the 6 shots offered by traditional police revolvers were available. With adoption by the US military 9mm ammo became less expensive and more readily available. Suddenly, by the nineties, 9mm was popular and the .45ACP outdated. But that perception didn't affect the fact that the .45ACP was and is still a very, very good defensive cartridge.

Now, with modern alloys and polymers, the .45ACP is available in pistols with higher capacity magazines than the original 1911a1 7rd mag and frames of much lighter weight than the old Government .45. Polymer frames in guns like the BUL M5 or Taurus PT-145 allow double-stack magazines in grips not much more, if any, larger than many of the earlier 9mm pistols. Alloy frames in guns like the Kimber Ultra-Carry models allow weights in the mid-twenty ounce range for 1911-style pistols making them more comfortable to carry than in the past.

Honestly, given a choice between a bullet weighing 115gr and 9mm in diameter or a bullet weighing 230gr and 11.5mm in diameter, which would you prefer to defend yourself with?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast