Why is .45 the new 9mm? - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is .45 the new 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by MNBlackjack View Post
    You get 25 rounds in one mag?????
    That was an example of the gun I had just carried this AM while grocery shopping. 12+1 plus an extra mag for a total of 25. The one I just placed in the safe after coming home from supper is 15+1 plus a spare mag for a total of 31.

I know that on paper, 3 rounds is all I'll need. You know, 3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds. But what if I'm in Big-Box parking after dark and get accosted by 3 or 4 thugs?

Realistically, I'll probably never need that much ammo. Hell, I hope to never need any at all. But just like I don't buy gas a gallon at a time because that's all I need for my next trip, shorting myself on ammo doesn't seem like a good plan either.

All that being said, my daily "goin' to work" gun is a 6-shot .38 Special with one speed strip in my pocket. Just hope I don't need more than a dozen. That's the plan anyway.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

I have a 1911 that carries 14 + 1. That's 29 rounds of 45ACP with a spare mag. And because it is a .45, I feel much safer than I would carrying my Model 92 Beretta...or my model 96 Beretta for that matter. My normal every day carry is a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II. That's 7+1 for a total of 15 rounds of 45ACP. Yours was 12 rounds of .38? I'm sorry I am trying to understand the logic of carrying a smaller round if you shoot a .45 as proficiently or even more proficiently than you would the smaller cailber. Since you carry a wheel gun that is a six shooter, what is the argument that you have with a .45?

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    I know that on paper, 3 rounds is all I'll need. You know, 3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds. But what if I'm in Big-Box parking after dark and get accosted by 3 or 4 thugs?

Well if more than one of them has a gun then you're probably a dead man regardless of how many rounds you have.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBlackjack View Post
    I have a 1911 that carries 14 + 1. That's 29 rounds of 45ACP with a spare mag. And because it is a .45, I feel much safer than I would carrying my Model 92 Beretta...or my model 96 Beretta for that matter. My normal every day carry is a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II. That's 7+1 for a total of 15 rounds of 45ACP. Yours was 12 rounds of .38? I'm sorry I am trying to understand the logic of carrying a smaller round if you shoot a .45 as proficiently or even more proficiently than you would the smaller cailber. Since you carry a wheel gun that is a six shooter, what is the argument that you have with a .45?
    You seem to be trying to start an argument where one doesn't exist. Of course, that's not unexpected based on my experience with this forum.

Would you please be so kind as to show me where I've said anything that can be construed as negative about the .45 ACP in this thread? Or anywhere for that matter? This information would also come as a surprise to myself, my wife and my G21.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Well if more than one of them has a gun then you're probably a dead man regardless of how many rounds you have.
    That's a very astute observation. Based on that train of thought, we should all leave our guns at home because we might be outgunned. Kind of cut out the middle man.

Tell ya what. I won't decide how many rounds or what caliber you should to carry, and you can extend the same courtesy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post

That may be, but you're going to find me lying on a pile of warm brass
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Lmao!!! About the only thing anyone would see from you big bad guys in a dark big-box parking lot if you were approached by 3 or 4 big, ugly BG's is the back side of your drawers as you run like hell for safety...
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

You seem to be trying to start an argument where one doesn't exist. Of course, that's not unexpected based on my experience with this forum.

Would you please be so kind as to show me where I've said anything that can be construed as negative about the .45 ACP in this thread? Or anywhere for that matter? This information would also come as a surprise to myself, my wife and my G21.
    I didn't mean to imply that you had anything against the round. But maybe against the capacity of the firearms that are chambered for that round. I was just trying to understand why you might have an issue with a carry sized 1911 when you yourself carry a six shooter as an EDC. That is all. My personal preference is a carry sized 1911 (7+1+7) because I can shoot it confortably...actually better than I shoot my 9mm. The extra energy that it packs upon impact, for me, is a bonus. Even if I bought a Glock or other tupperware gun, I cannot shoot it comfortably, and that is most important. If you can find a gun you like to shoot, you would probably practice more and be more comfotable should you need to defend yourself.

I was merely trying to understand. I apologize if I came across as argumentative.

That's a very astute observation. Based on that train of thought, we should all leave our guns at home because we might be outgunned. Kind of cut out the middle man.

Tell ya what. I won't decide how many rounds or what caliber you should to carry, and you can extend the same courtesy to me.
    Tell ya what. Show me where I've told you what to do with regards to anything.

You threw a question out there. I answered it. I really don't care if you push around a shopping cart full of loaded mags, if you're facing more than one gun pointed at you it would be suicide to draw. I think I'd be better off giving up my cash and car keys than to be a dead Rambo-wannabe. I'm a firm believer that discretion is the better part of valor. If you think you can take out multiple armed BGs "Hollywood style", who already have the drop on you, then best of luck with that. You've got more gumption than me.

Now if one or fewer of these hypothetical attackers has a gun.....well then it's game-on. In that case I'm pretty sure they'd be running long before you got to the last round in your first mag, and if they weren't then it's highly unlikely that they'd just stand there while you produce your spare mag and reload your pistol. They'll be on top of you.

I'd rather be alive and giving a descriptions to the police than be laying in a pool of my own blood and "warm brass". Of course that wouldn't work for Treo. He never talks to LEOs under any circumstances

I carry a 1911, thus a .45 fan, however, that being said, this is a very old argument. From my standpoint (no pun intended) there will never be an "optimal" situation for either caliber. The news stories you read or head about where police fire umteen rounds, that is their TRAINING. Most local law enforcement are taught and trained to continue to fire until the threat has stopped. On the other hand, the military police and defense forces are trained under "live fire" simulations. The military are also taught shot placement and team work. If you have ever seen a SWAT team work, that is as close to military discipline and team work as a civilian organization comes.

I have talked to many law enforcement officers and solders and the overwhelming consensus is shot placement. In an actual fire-fight, one does not have the time to accurately aim and place each shot. Most peoples REACTIONS are to keep shooting until the gun is empty. I had a fortunate opportunity to participate in a live fire exercise as a civilian. At that time, I usually shot 3-4 times a week, and 200-500 rounds each time, all "tactical" shooting. At that time, I shot with a group of current and former military as well as several law enforcement officers and a couple of FBI agents. The courses that were set up were anything from military style training to the FBI style training. (I don't envy either group!) I was taught to do a double tap, followed by a single tap. So, do the math, out of a possible 9 rounds in my 1911, I could only take down 3 bad guys before I would have to do a magazine swap. Most of the courses, required taking down anywhere between 3 and 12 bad guys. Anyhow, back to the live fire exercise, in the first encounter, I EMPTIED my 1911. 9 rounds, at one bad guy. I hit the bad guy 3 times. In fact, after watching the video, I hit the bad guy with my first 3 rounds, BUT, the bad guy was still discharging his firearm, so I kept shooting, and missing. I was asked how many rounds I thought I fired,; my answer was 5 or 6, not 9. Because of adrenaline, I did not have the situational awareness to check my firearm. The slide was locked back, and the next bad guy my team encountered, I brought the firearm up and pulled, not squeezed the trigger, several times. Obviously, nothing happened, and I was actually shot, 3 times. (That's beside the point here.)

The point in this long winded post is my shot placement on the first bad guy was 2 , center mass, about 3 inches apart, and the third was just below the neck. The guy was down, however, that did not register to me because he was able to discharge his firearm again, which I interpreted that I missed, so I kept shooting.

After talking with the military guys, they said, no matter what gun you carry, the only thing that will save you in a fire-fight is training. So that you act on instinct and not on thought. I was told, "By the time you think you should shoot, it's too late." That part of instinctual shooting is what I strive in my personal training to attain.

So, 9mm vs 45? I choose to carry the firearm I am most comfortable with. I know my 1911 and how it reacts when I pull the trigger. I know pretty much where my shot is going to hit if I am within 15-30 feet of my target.

My personal belief is as far as caliber, it doesn't make a whit of difference, so long as you are confident with your firearm and your ability... The only exception here is something like a .22 or .17 HMR.

Yes, my signature states if you can't hit it in 8, you sure won't hit it in 21, but that is just to tweak the nose of my Glock toting friends (and the funny thing is most of my friends prefer the Glock to the 1911).

And I agree with ClearSiteTactical in that there is no penalty for too much ammunition. I pack my full size Taurus PT-1911 and 2 additional magazines. If I am heading to the "gang banger" side of town for what ever reason, I carry my Galco shoulder rig with two magazines, and a total of 4 additional magazines on my belt. (I don't go there very often though.)

Just keep in mind that this age old argument is primarily a matter of opinions. Training and practice is what will keep you alive.
    If you can't hit it with 8, you sure as hell aren't going to hit it with 21.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast