Why is .45 the new 9mm? - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Why is .45 the new 9mm?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    So what happened to 45 vs 9?

-Doc
    Doc, I stuck to .45 vs 9...then it went all to hail........

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Well I can pretty much promise you that they will shoot if you draw.
    Or not they may have an Oh Crap moment and run. They may be inaccurate as hell. I may be a half a step from cover. God Himself may intervene on my behalf. Either way I like my chances better trying than hoping.

And isn't it pretty much SOP for armed robbers to already have a gun pointed at you when they demand your valuables?? I always thought thats how it worked.
    I wasn't aware that there was an SOP for what a crack head w/ a gun may or may not do in a given situation.

And I'm guessing that if they really meant to kill you I'm sure they'd just do it right off the bat and avoid any unnecessary chit-chat, then take your stuff.
    It's easier to get me to hand you my wallet and cash than to take it off my body or they may get a wild hair after I hand over my stuff and decide "No Witnesses"

Either way I'm going to fight
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

The question was not shoot? don't shoot? The question was; Why is .45 the new 9mm?

Back to topic...Please...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    The question was not shoot? don't shoot? The question was; Why is .45 the new 9mm?

Back to topic...Please...
    You're right - back to the topic.

I like 9MM because I can shoot it with accuracy slightly faster than a .45. That means I can take out 20 armed BGs before they can return fire instead of maybe 15 if I was using a .45.

The 9mm came into favor when the "wondernines" came about in the 80s. One of the main reasons they were popular was the ability to hold 15+ rounds. After the assault weapons ban came about this advantage went away in favor of the larger caliber weapons since they can hold 10 rounds. After the ban sunset the 9mm never really re-gained the following.

Now we have .45ACPs that can hold 12-14 rounds with the same grip size so they are more popular. The 9mm is still an effective round though.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    The 9mm came into favor when the "wondernines" came about in the 80s. One of the main reasons they were popular was the ability to hold 15+ rounds. After the assault weapons ban came about this advantage went away in favor of the larger caliber weapons since they can hold 10 rounds. After the ban sunset the 9mm never really re-gained the following.

Now we have .45ACPs that can hold 12-14 rounds with the same grip size so they are more popular. The 9mm is still an effective round though.
    I'll buy into that thought process...

Since we gun owners here in MA have the same magazine capacity limit enforced today, I decided on the .45ACP (and also the 40S&W) as the carry caliber when I looked into autos for carry. The M&P45 full size I chose has a 10 round magazine and with the limit placed on it, I decided to make the 10 rounds count with larger more punishing rounds.

In my time I've done some non scientific real world damage testing using water filled 1 gallon containers in different configurations w/ .380auto, 9mm, .38Spec, .357mag, 45ACP, and .44Mag..
    The magnum calibers were the obvious performers as far as damage done. The .45 was next for over all damage. The smaller calibers tended to punch holes through the containers. I know the composition of the human body and the containers used differs...

This was also some 20 or so years ago and ammo design has changed over time, but we were using ammo such as Black Talon, Federal Hydra Shok, Winchester White Box PD, Remington JHP etc. Most of which is still in use today.

I'll add a 9mm to the collection for the cheaper ammo prices. I still like the performance of the .45 over the 9mm for carry. That's me...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Posts with poor conduct in violation of forum rules give you a vacation.
    Last edited by calvin; 01-04-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: babysitting
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Oh by the way Cock Locked, I reported my own post, so dont bother.
    Don't worry - it'll be the last one. You're now on ignore, so I won't be seeing any more of your drivel, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post

I chose a XDM in 45acp for a couple of reasons. First my dad had (and now I own it) a US army 1917 45 revolver. He told me the story that the Army issued .38's and found that they had no effect so reissued the 45 and those had the desired effect. I have no idea if the story is true, but hey, would my dad lie to me? That revolver is way too big to conceal carry. And a .38 is close to a 9mm in size.

Second, my XDM has a 13 round mag and when I carry I have two more mags. I'm also a big guy and can handle the gun fairly well. I shoot better with my 45 than my friend that I shoot with does with his 9mm and we got the guns and started shooting at the same time.

Third the nice slow lumbering round of the 45 is more likely to deposit all of its energy in what I hit. The 9mm, being similar energy but faster and with a smaller wound channel, may have a higher tendency to pass through. But then it's target placement so they perform similarly, if you hit the same thing.

That said, I saw on one site for personal security tactics that they preferred jacketed ball ammo over hollow points - the reason was to have the bullet pass through so the BG has 2 holes to bleed from for each round rather than one. The clients of private security are usually to protect VIP's and VRP's (Very Rich People), to protect the one that signs their checks, not to protect oneself and assume the client will take care of the aftermath.

Let's keep this thread on topic.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast