Pistols for Left-Handed Shooters - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pistols for Left-Handed Shooters

I'm a lefty.

NONE of my carry guns have a manual safety only.

( a couple have decockers. ) All can safely be carried round chambered and can be fired double action.

I am a lefty and carry a 92fs. No issues.

I regularly shoot my Glock 22 with my left hand. No issues.

Honestly, if my primary hand for shooting was left, I don't know what I'd do. I used to think, on semi-autos that ambidextrous safeties was the way to go. But my recent experience with them has been very bad. Regardless of the make and model of pistol, if it has an ambidextrous safety, there's been a constant and consistent problem with the safety being wiped off, usually by outside sources.

If the pistol is in a holster that covers the safety lever, it's not a problem. But if you're using something like the Blackhawk Serpa or a Fobus, or any holster that doesn't somehow cover the safety lever, you're gonna see your safety wiped off. And most of the time, you won't know it.

If I couldn't find a pistol with a non-ambidextrous safety that was setup for left hand use, I'd likely pick something that either doesn't have a manual safety, or else one that is DA/SA so I could have the hammer down.

See, my usual carry weapon is a Rock Island Armory 1911, and of course, it's in condition 1, cocked, locked and loaded.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I know of at least one left-handed 1911 shooter who grinded down the "Northpaw" side of the ambidexterous safety on his carry weapon. Basically he converted the "ambi" into a Southpaw safety.

If you can get used to sliding your trigger finger back to the mag release,a 1911 could work good.Im right handed but carry a 1911 for my left hand also.
    I Love Nicki Minaj

Quote Originally Posted by .45 Ben View Post
    If you can get used to sliding your trigger finger back to the mag release,a 1911 could work good.Im right handed but carry a 1911 for my left hand also.
    I actually find pushing the mag release with my index finger, easier than using my thumb. To use the thumb of my shooting hand, I have to adjust my hold on it in order to reach it. And while there is some minor adjusting for my index finger to hit it just right, it's not as much, and is quickly reversed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I know of at least one left-handed 1911 shooter who grinded down the "Northpaw" side of the ambidexterous safety on his carry weapon. Basically he converted the "ambi" into a Southpaw safety.
    Short of having one special made, that's probably the best solution I've heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Short of having one special made, that's probably the best solution I've heard of.
    Thanks, I try my best.

Charter Arms southpaw. LH .38 snubby.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast