Mech-Tech CCU (Primarily for the 1911)

Thread: Mech-Tech CCU (Primarily for the 1911)

Mech-Tech CCU (Primarily for the 1911)

Howdy! Anyone out here in Carry-land have first hand experience with the Mech-Tech CCU? I have been considering one as part of my bug-out bag, since I carry a 1911 anyway, I thought it might be a good defence acquisition. I have also heard that it (in .45 ACP) may be good for hunting game up to white tail size.

I have read numerous reviews on them and the most consistent gripe is the slide does not lock open on the last round. (I would find that a workable pain in the rear.) Any insight would be appreciated, before I drop, up to $850.00 for a fully loaded one. Thanks!
    If you can't hit it with 8, you sure as hell aren't going to hit it with 21.

A carbine conversion for a 1911? No experience with it but seems silly. Why would you do that to a perfectly good 1911? Save you're $850 and go buy yourself something else mho.

The only problem with these types of conversions is once you convert your pistol receiver to a carbine/rifle it can't be converted back to a pistol without registering it as a SBR. The only exception is Thompson/Center.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    The only problem with these types of conversions is once you convert your pistol receiver to a carbine/rifle it can't be converted back to a pistol without registering it as a SBR. The only exception is Thompson/Center.
    Actually, the CCU is an "upper" to a 1911, or a Glock. It is a legal conversion, similar to converting a 1911 to a .22 capable pistol. I have checked with my local laws and also with the company, and the only state that disallows the conversion, is California... Go figure.

Here is the link to Mech-Tech's "What is a CCU?" MechTech - What is CCU?

Quote Originally Posted by NM-1911 View Post
    Actually, the CCU is an "upper" to a 1911, or a Glock. It is a legal conversion, similar to converting a 1911 to a .22 capable pistol. I have checked with my local laws and also with the company, and the only state that disallows the conversion, is California... Go figure.

Here is the link to Mech-Tech's "What is a CCU?" MechTech - What is CCU?
    It's legal to convert it to a rifle but it's illegal to convert it back to a pistol. Once you put your receiver on the CCU upper it becomes a rifle and the only legal way to convert it back to a pistol is to pay for an SBR stamp. The only system exempt is the Thompson/Center combo set. You have to worry about Fed laws on this not local laws. Here's the SCOTUS decision on the subject. Stephen P. Halbrook, Ph.D. - United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co.

Do a Google search on: Mech-Tech CCU converting back to pistol
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    It's legal to convert it to a rifle but it's illegal to convert it back to a pistol. Once you put your receiver on the CCU upper it becomes a rifle and the only legal way to convert it back to a pistol is to pay for an SBR stamp. The only system exempt is the Thompson/Center combo set. You have to worry about Fed laws on this not local laws. Here's the SCOTUS decision on the subject. Stephen P. Halbrook, Ph.D. - United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co.

Do a Google search on: Mech-Tech CCU converting back to pistol
    Okay, this sucks. Well, that leaves me to purchase an AR-10 then. Thanks for the heads up!

8. Hi all - on the subject of carbine conversion systems and their legal implications, here is the definitive answer straight from the BATF: http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulin...ing-2011-4.pdf
    This ruling came down in July 2011. Also see: The American Rifleman magazine, page 90 (Nov 2011 issue), in their ILA column
    sheds light on the subject in a more concise form:
    "The ruling also states that a pistol can be made into a rifle (for example by adding a
    long barrel and a shoulder stock), and then turned back into a pistol, without making an
    NFA 'firearm' "
    Also see the Mech Tech website forum: MechTech -
    Bottom line - you CAN legally revert to the original pistol after configuring the pistol to a rifle. Also, the TC Arms decision is generic and applies to all pistol-to-rifle-and-back systems.
    Hope this clarifies the issue.