How do you train?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you train?

Post How do you train?

How do you train for the "unthinkable?" Meaning what kind of drills do you go through? What kind of drills do you do most often, and least often?
    I only ask because, of course, you see videos where CCW carriers and regular civilians alike are put in a training situation, and of course, all fail. Of course their in a classroom environment and movement is restricted, in real life, it would be a little bit different, but got me thinking, what could I do to make myself better?
    Post your training routine, and how often you train.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Gun pointed at the ground, raise it, double-tap, move left or right to the next target, double-tap.

Again
    And again
    And again

3 times a month on average, about 200 rounds each time. When practicing with my pistols I'll buy one large paper target and attach multiple 6" Shoot-N-C targets. That way I can move from one to another. Often times I'll put a snap-cap in one of the mags to simulate a misfire. I practice pistol shooting at distances out to 50 ft but mostly it's between 15-30 ft. Those are the ranges where most firearm encounters occur. (I will on occasion take the pistols outdoors and shoot 50-100 yds just to see what the gun can do at those distances. That's more recreational than anything else.). Virtually all my shooting is done two-handed but I do practice shooting one-handed from the hip or waist as well. You never know when an encounter might be at point-blank range and you'll need your non-shooting hand to fend off an attacker.

I'm at the indoor range most Tuesday afternoons. The weekends are for the rifles and shotguns at the outdoor range, usually twice a month.

Looks like I need to step my training up a little bit, that does sound like a great work out. I usually end up blowing 200 rounds or less on pop cans just tryin to hit them, and 8x11 pieces of paper. I havent practiced anything intense like that and have had my CPL for about a year now.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

I very rarely "plink". Every time I go out (which is not near as often as I would like), I burn through 200-500 rounds with my carry firearm. I practice tactical shooting at various targets. My standard is a double tap followed by a single tap. I practice from a modified weaver stance, to two handed moving, to single strong hand, to single off hand. I was taught a long time ago that one should be proficient with all three grips; two handed, strong hand, and off hand. That way, if your strong hand/arm is taken out of commission, you still can shoot back.

I would LOVE to go to In-Site and take their tactical defense class. I saw a video for In-Site and they showed a portion of the class that teaches you to shoot while FALLING backward! Anything to hone my skills helps.

I shoot at paper targets, soda cans, clay pigeons, water bottles, you name it. I have the fortune of being able to shoot on my property and have a developed shooting range I use. I just need to make more time to shoot.

Good luck and keep practising. It may be the only thing that keeps you alive.
    If you can't hit it with 8, you sure as hell aren't going to hit it with 21.

I agree...

... with the suggestions here.. All good stuff. I'm no expert (whew got that out'a the way).. But I know it's about muscle memory, reflex, and mental conditioning. When the "unthinkable" comes, you'll react like you've trained. Even practicing with your firearm unloaded, drawing from concealed carry and snapping that first shot (dry fire) is a good thing to do repeatedly. Try to keep it within 2 seconds. Try it with the various types of clothing you ware, and carry methods you use. Statistically speaking, who ever gets off the first shot wins a firefight. The suggested double tab, then fire again, multiple targets is a great way to train. Shooting at cans can be good, BUT I think it's better to use a silhouette and just get yourself in the total mind set. It's my humble opinion that people don't really know if they can shoot another human being until that "unthinkable" day comes and they are presented with that choice, and that challenge. It's as much if not more a mental challenge, as it is a physical one. You can be the best shot out there, but if you can't quickly and without thought draw from concealment and fire upon the threat (a human being) you are at a huge disadvantage.

Great question! Got me thinking... Thanks :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyNAndover View Post
    Shooting at cans can be good, BUT I think it's better to use a silhouette and just get yourself in the total mind set. It's my humble opinion that people don't really know if they can shoot another human being until that "unthinkable" day comes and they are presented with that choice, and that challenge.
    GuyNAndover, usually once or twice a month, I do a tactical shoot with silhouettes, however, my basic mindset is whatever I am pointing my firearm at is just a target. It's a thing. I learned that conditioning when I was practising with the military and FBI guys over 20 years ago. It's also the way I hunt. Makes it easier so I don't have to change my mindset. Anything I point a firearm at is a target that I am willing to destroy (kill).

And the point about shooting another human, I THINK I can, however, I hope I never have to find out.
    If you can't hit it with 8, you sure as hell aren't going to hit it with 21.

Quote Originally Posted by NM-1911 View Post
    GuyNAndover, usually once or twice a month, I do a tactical shoot with silhouettes, however, my basic mindset is whatever I am pointing my firearm at is just a target. It's a thing. I learned that conditioning when I was practising with the military and FBI guys over 20 years ago. It's also the way I hunt. Makes it easier so I don't have to change my mindset. Anything I point a firearm at is a target that I am willing to destroy (kill).

And the point about shooting another human, I THINK I can, however, I hope I never have to find out.
    Yea, my military training was over 20 years ago too. It was about desensitization, target = thing. Now I train with LE, and in today's training, at least where I am, they make it clear the target/threat is human. As I approach 50, I see "young kids" as potential threats. Young being 30s and below. It can be counter-intuitive.

I totally agree you, I believe I can, I hope no one makes me prove it...

Me and my friends like to clear each others houses (guns unloaded and checked again again or course),we clear both by ourselves and in teams.Range training in my pasture or course,plus we have cover with trees and boxes and stuff to practice with.At least every other weekend,usually more.

Oh,and i forgot to ad that i practice on drawing and unholstering quickly.
    I Love Nicki Minaj

I do have to state that I am in the Michigan Army National Guard, Ive got training with m4s but however I dont train with the m9 very often, and when I do, its nothing too glorious...
    I believe I COULD draw and fire on a human in a civilian situation, I just hope I dont mess up and shoot my foot lol. I dry fire with my weapon, draw here and there, but I do find it difficult being my holster turns the safety off...Ready to fire mode I guess...

11. Wow, there are some great responses on this board, gave me some ideas lol. I don't always stick to this but the below is my optimal plan for range days.

My normal routine is 60 rounds marksmanship maintenance, this is non-timed, 2-handed shooting at 3, 7, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards 10 rounds per distance.

20 rounds per hand of 1- handed drills from 7 yards, from the holster.

10 rounds of "fast as you can" from the holster at 3 yards. *shot timer w/ delayed start* 1.53 is my best time that I cannot beat (Level 2 duty holster, I think slows it down from CCW holster)

10 rounds from each distance (3, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25) with time markers for each. IE: 3 yards I allot myself 1.75 seconds as "acceptable" if it averages less I repeat the distance.

30 rounds worth of speed reload. I spread 4 magazines and load them with various rounds Example: Mag 1 will be loaded with 3 rounds, mag 2 with 2 rounds, mag 3 with 5 rounds, mag 4 with 8 rounds, etc...

I then shuffle the magazines around so I don't know which one has how many, I do shoot and move from various distance at silhouette targets, and speed reload on empty.

I'm sure I need to incorporate more drills into my training, but having a plan sure does beat going to the range with 200 rounds and feeling unaccomplished afterwards lol.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast