To car safe or not to car safe that is the question? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To car safe or not to car safe that is the question?

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Quick e-mail me the combination number and or a spare key incase I'm in MA and need a firearm LOL J/K. I found a small safe that I'm thinking about moding and making into a car safe. I use the glove box now but it's just to easy to get into(even when it's locked).

Uh... What is the combo? Shoot, I forget now..

Just let me know prior to arriving and I'll leave it in the compartment in the bed of the truck with a post-it-note...

The one I have now is not really the ideal one, but it gets the job done. I really want one that fits inside the existing console space and is secured behind the locked door. I'll post any links to vendors that make vehicle specific designs.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Uh... What is the combo? Shoot, I forget now..

Just let me know prior to arriving and I'll leave it in the compartment in the bed of the truck with a post-it-note...

The one I have now is not really the ideal one, but it gets the job done. I really want one that fits inside the existing console space and is secured behind the locked door. I'll post any links to vendors that make vehicle specific designs.
    LOL works for me. I don't have center console's in any of my cars. I was looking at a stack-on drawer safe. It's small and light and from what I have read in the reviews it can fit to full size firearms. So it should be able to fit two compacts in it. I would have to get some cable and mod the safe to take the cable.

Amazon.com: Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock: Home Improvement

That's the one I'm looking at getting. I was looking at the GunVault safes but they are all way to big and OVER PRICED!

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

The one I have now is a cable type and it fits under the seat and I have it secured to the anchor for the seat itself. It was a bit of work, but I figure if the BG gets into my vehicle he's gonna have to work for it. The console types really take more work to install so I'd get a better feeling having that type.

I agree the Gun Vault brand is priced kinda wacky.

I bought one of the Winchester electronic drawer safes for the night stand.. It installed easily and works well. I keeps my M&P45 safe and at the ready..

The one I have now is a cable type and it fits under the seat and I have it secured to the anchor for the seat itself. It was a bit of work, but I figure if the BG gets into my vehicle he's gonna have to work for it. The console types really take more work to install so I'd get a better feeling having that type.

I agree the Gun Vault brand is priced kinda wacky.

I bought one of the Winchester electronic drawer safes for the night stand.. It installed easily and works well. I keeps my M&P45 safe and at the ready..
    I know right I was shocked when I saw the price of the smaller safes. I would love a drawer safe that had some kind of back light keypad at a price that is fair. If you know of any please do share.

6. I lean more toward "hidden" than "safe." Since there are hidden lockboxes available, some with hidden remote electric releases, I'd think about that. Remember, even if Officer Unfriendly learns it's there, he can't search without a warrant or at least Probable Cause.

I'm not just thinking about guns. One might want to store other valuables there, or even one's freshly filled painkiller prescription while one shops...
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    LOL works for me. I don't have center console's in any of my cars. I was looking at a stack-on drawer safe. It's small and light and from what I have read in the reviews it can fit to full size firearms. So it should be able to fit two compacts in it. I would have to get some cable and mod the safe to take the cable.

Amazon.com: Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock: Home Improvement

That's the one I'm looking at getting. I was looking at the GunVault safes but they are all way to big and OVER PRICED!
    By the way, That safe shown in the link, looks identical (just the pictures on Amazon of the inside view) to the Winchester branded one I bought. I think I know who makes it now... Same price I paid at Wally World. Mine works fine.

Gun safe for car

I bought a gun safe from Sportsman's Guide for $30.00 comes with a cable and will hold my Tarus 45 and spare clip. Like most of you I almost always carry, but there are places I must go that it would not be prudent to carry. I have the safe under the front seat of my truck and if you are not really looking for it you would not see it.

I never carry on to a federal reservation or an Indian reservation even locked in the safe. To much risk. Even though the odds they are going to search some old retired guys vehicle are slim, I would not take the chance.

I also avoid places that are not gun friendly. I like ti Idea of a list. You can add Costco to the unfriendly ones

By the way, That safe shown in the link, looks identical (just the pictures on Amazon of the inside view) to the Winchester branded one I bought. I think I know who makes it now... Same price I paid at Wally World. Mine works fine.
    Got any photos of the inside? Do you think you can fit two small firearms in it(M&P40C and a Ruger SR9C)?

10. My truck does not have a trunk or lockable glove box. I carry all the time except where I can not by law (if it's a business, I do not do business there; but like work, well, I have to work and don't want to give up my well-paying job I've had for 20 years, yet I want my piece when I get out to the truck after work).

So, I use a V-Line lock box with the button combination. It is bolted to the inside of the front console area by my right leg so that it is easily accessible to me even while driving, if necessary, so I don't have to reach around and up and down and end up in a wreck. Cannot be seen with tinted windows. Have had it for 11+ years. Worth the cost when ya spread it out over time...and definitely worth the cost when considering how easy my piece could be taken from my glove box during a break-in and what it would cost to replace the piece. At least the bolted lock box provides some deterence (sp?).

Plus...do NOT go onto fed property (i.e., military base) even if the piece is locked in a box or even your trunk. Big No-No...unless you don't mind a small-sized room with a bunk bed (and mate???) following a huge fine. Ain't worth it to me!

11. Was with someone this weekend who had the sentry auto safe and decided to pick one up myself. Here is the link for the cheapest one I found:

Sentry Safe Auto Safe, Shooting Supplies, Sentry at Sportsman's Guide

Sentry web site says retail is $89 and cheapest on ebay is $44 +shipping

I was worried about the cable , but the person who had it was retired NYPD and said not likely that the person breaking in would have bolt cutters for the cable. Convinced me!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast