Serbu Super Shorty - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serbu Super Shorty

1. Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    For a long time, I was of Twodollarpistol's school of thought. I figured at inside-the-house ranges, No. 4 or No. 6 shot would be effective without over penetrating.

A crusty old Marine working in a gun store told me that for close range work the Marines used No. 2 buckshot because that provided the most pellets with enough mass to achieve adequate penetration.

More recently, I have seen a video in which Massad Ayoob recommended No. 4 buck for the same reason.

If you haven't seen the tests and discussion about shotgun rounds on the Box O' Truth, check it out:

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

The Box O' Truth dude concluded that birdshot, including heavy shot like No. 6 and No. 4, is for birds. He was not satisfied even with the lighter buckshot loads. He says any shot that will be effective against a human will penetrate numerous layers of sheetrock.

Remington's website provides some helpful information, follow this link and click on "Specifications":

Shotgun Ammunition - Shotshell - Express Buckshot - Buckshot Ammunition

I emailed Remington and asked about the weight of individual pellets in their buckshot loads and this is what they told me:

Weight per pellet:
    #4 buck-20.83 gr
    #3 buck-25.59 gr
    #1 buck-21.17 gr
    0 buck- 39.77 gr
    00 buck-48.61 gr
    000 buck- 51.47

Everybody won't come to the same conclusion and what Twodollarpistol said about determining for yourself has a lot of merit. Based on everything discussed, including the information provided by Remington, I conclude that Ayoob is right. 4 buck is 27 .25 caliber, 21 gr pellets, traveling 1325 fps. If that doesn't "git 'r done," shoot twice. I wouldn't go any lighter than that, but even considering the Box O' Truth test, I am satisfied that it is adequate. Of course, YMMV.
    That is a very interesting web site and tests. Lots of good info. I have tested my loads on sheetrock from my 19 1/2 12 ga at about 8 to 10 ft. It entered about the size of a med orange, penetrated two layers of sheet rock and stoped in the third, but I am thankful to say I have never tried these loads on any kind of flesh and I know the resuls would certanly be different. Perhaps I need to consider my thoughts and opinions a little further. I wouldnt, however,go so far as to say at these ranges the shot charge would just bounce of of anybody as this web site reported. I dont want to be the test subject to prove it.
    Thanks for yor input and the info
    2DP

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    ...NOBODY has any actual, ballistic data from any 12 gauge rds, any shot ammo comeing from that 10 inch barrel...
    Good catch! Not being familiar with the specific weapon mentioned, I did not realize we were talking about a super-short barrel. Yeah, I know what assuming does!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Good catch! Not being familiar with the specific weapon mentioned, I did not realize we were talking about a super-short barrel. Yeah, I know what assuming does!
    I need to correct my earlyer statement the Serbu Super Shorty that is the subject of this thread, does not have a 10 inch barrel, it has a 6.5 inch barrel, according to the info from there websight, so exactly how is that popgun supposed to build any velocity, when the pellets barely travel twice the length of the shell before it starts spreading out, and like i said previous, unless you have the muzzle two inches from the wall its doubtful many of the #4 pellets would make it through the wall, personaly that thing would have to give you a wack from recoil that would really hurt

I am waaaay late to this thread, but I just picked up a Super Shorty and am eagerly waiting for it to get delivered. Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out how to go about getting the $5 tax stamp for the AOW. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12