Hearing protection when things go bump in the night - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection when things go bump in the night

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbight View Post
    If I am responding to a scenario of someone entering my home at night and I have to defend my family, I want all five senses on high alert. I will definately not be diminishing my hearing, sight, smell or touch in any way. BB
    I've considered keeping a set of the electronic hearing protectors by the bed. I'm getting of an age where my regular hearing is not near what it was. I find that the electronic hearing protector is as good or better than most hearing aids in improving my hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by buckslayer View Post
    I've done a LOT of indoor shooting while in Iraq on raids and other tasks, and other than while riding in a vehicle where we're exposed to IED blasts, I've never used ear plugs. While you would think you'd lose the ability to hear anything inside after the first shots are fired, your other senses kick in and you WILL be hyper aware of your surroundings, and the noise will not be an issue. Sure your ears may and likely will ring for a while after the shooting stops, but that’s a worthwhile price to pay to keep my family alive through a shooting event.
    Buckslayer, that's exactly what my concern was when I expressed concern about firing in confined spaces. Feedback from someone who's actually been there/done that carries alot of weight. I was not advocating using hearing protection. I was just curious on everyone's thoughts. I really appreciate this response.
    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
    Winston Churchill

4. Right on Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim fox View Post
    I've considered keeping a set of the electronic hearing protectors by the bed. I'm getting of an age where my regular hearing is not near what it was. I find that the electronic hearing protector is as good or better than most hearing aids in improving my hearing.
    Old folks like myself (78) already have hearing deficits and it's a lot faster and easier to grab and use electronic hearing protector/enhancers than fumbling with the little hearing aid items.

Hunters use them to enhance "critter" sounds as well as protecting their ears. Going without a hearing device simply means I must get a visual before knowing what's happening. When my wife wakes me to that "bump in the night", I want to hear it myself, not wait to be "startled" by a "no-warning" visual.

You use what's available while you've got it and adjust accordingly. My hearing loss was contributed to by younger days shooting with no regard for hearing protection. So much for "macho".

In a scenario like that. All your senses are hyper sensitive and the adrenalyn is pumping. Your ear may ring like hell later and your eyes are going to be seing stars due to the flash of the muzzle, but You are not going to care, I have done raids at night sometimes your hearing protection drops and guess what it does not matter. It all becomes a blur and everything gets foggy.If you have multiple intruders they will be as shocked as you so it levels the field, You will be ok witout it. Your main goal is to control and stop the attack.

The faster you take control of the situation and stop the incident the better chance you and your love ones have to get out alive from a scenario like this.

Hope it helps an you never have to go thru something like this.

A can

Best statement ever made on this question came in the form of an advertisement showing a pregnant woman, standing, wearing a dress caressing her tummy with her left hand and at her side in her right hand was a pistol with a silencer.

The caption said it all. See the atatchment. Sewed it up for me.

Pay the ATF stamp and the price of a good can. It can save your ears and your life. No noise flich for a faster 2nd target acquisition.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hearing protection when things go bump in the night-slow7236.jpg 

Having constant ringing in your ears is no fun. I have had it in both ears for 25 years. The right ear ringing is due to my brother shooting off a 12 gauge right beside my head while we were dove hunting. I lost my hearing for several minutes. I knew right then and there that the blast had damaged my hearing. Well, it was ringing that actually came several days later. My ability to hear is still good. The ringing does cancel out sounds in the same frequency range, however, if they are equal or lower in volume.

Having said that, if I needed to protect my wife and myself from an intruder, "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead."

There are several states where silencers (suppressors) are illegal. California is one of the states. As long as it is illegal, I will not own one.

Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    amen brother, and thank you for your service to our country. thank you very much!
    +1

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by scwcharlie View Post
    Old folks like myself (78) already have hearing deficits and it's a lot faster and easier to grab and use electronic hearing protector/enhancers than fumbling with the little hearing aid items.
    In a situation like this, than I very much agree that a set of hearing enhancers/protection would be an outstanding option!
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

10. I would not wear any hearing protection as I would like to hear everything going on. I would be more concerned about muzzle flash and not being to see afterward..

No one has said it yet but that question is a joke, right? Seriuosly?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast