Hearing protection when things go bump in the night - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hearing protection when things go bump in the night

Wow Buckslayer.

Are you saying that none of our boys over in Iraq and Afghanistan are wearing anything in their ears?
    I didn't know that!
    I think I just assumed they had some type of protection....like foam plugs or something....

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
    Wow Buckslayer.

Are you saying that none of our boys over in Iraq and Afghanistan are wearing anything in their ears?
    I didn't know that!
    I think I just assumed they had some type of protection....like foam plugs or something....
    We have them and carry them, but the majority of our foot patrols are quiet for the most part. While I've been in my share of firefights, they are not an everyday thing. Most of the time when we'd get into something, the people around you (civilians) gave us a big clue by their normal chatter. We decided not to wear them on foot patrols and raids so we can hear them talk more clearly, and get an idea about their general mood. If they sound spooked, they are! and itís for a reason. Normally they are scared poopless about attacks and IEDs and fear them being in their neighborhoods. Naturally when something going to happen, they know about it, and act different. We just want to be able to hear even the smallest of trembling in their voices. It keeps us alive.

Vehicle patrols now are a different story. We all (MOST) wear ear protection as the vehicles alone are loud, let alone the BOOM from an IED.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

Thanks for the info buckslayer!

Thanks so much for you service!

5. With the invention and popularization of hearing enhancement and protection devices I see no reason why this isn't a viable option.

My only concern would be not having the time to get the muffs on. As for those who say its not a big deal I have a friend who fired two shots indoors (lawfully) and has permanent hearing damage. The shots were from a Glock 19 9mm pistol. He can still hear but complaints of a constant ringing that never dulls or goes away.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota

Factjailsit

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    With the invention and popularization of hearing enhancement and protection devices I see no reason why this isn't a viable option.

My only concern would be not having the time to get the muffs on. As for those who say its not a big deal I have a friend who fired two shots indoors (lawfully) and has permanent hearing damage. The shots were from a Glock 19 9mm pistol. He can still hear but complaints of a constant ringing that never dulls or goes away.

One, the military will not pay for anything more than the cheap foam earplugs that you have to roll and squish to get into your ears. It's unrealistic to think soldiers can pay for the hi-tech mini electronics as the lower ranks still dont get paid very much.

Larger hearing muffs would never work for us as we need to be able to get a radio mic to our ear to call for air support or whatever else we need.

I'm not saying your ears won't hurt after the indoor shots, but i'll gladly take ringing in my ears over a dead family. Unless you have the muffs you just don't have the time to squish the other ones in your ears.

The size of the room, and the type of walls makes a difference when shooting inside.
    This is another topic where people can argue both ways for days and days and never really get anywhere. Shooting inside was not the worst thing I've experienced in my life, and sure it does suck to have to do it, but I won't be rushing to get my plugs in when my door get kicked open anytime soon.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

7. Quote Originally Posted by buckslayer View Post
    One, the military will not pay for anything more than the cheap foam earplugs that you have to roll and squish to get into your ears. It's unrealistic to think soldiers can pay for the hi-tech mini electronics as the lower ranks still dont get paid very much.

Larger hearing muffs would never work for us as we need to be able to get a radio mic to our ear to call for air support or whatever else we need.

I'm not saying your ears won't hurt after the indoor shots, but i'll gladly take ringing in my ears over a dead family. Unless you have the muffs you just don't have the time to squish the other ones in your ears.

The size of the room, and the type of walls makes a difference when shooting inside.
    This is another topic where people can argue both ways for days and days and never really get anywhere. Shooting inside was not the worst thing I've experienced in my life, and sure it does suck to have to do it, but I won't be rushing to get my plugs in when my door get kicked open anytime soon.
    You cannot realistically tell me that even a PVT cannot afford $40 for electronic protection, for $40 you can get electronic with COMM capabilities. Again, I see the disadvantage but if at all possible economically, and in practice (when SHTF) i'd say go for it. Of course if you cannot reasonably place hearing protection on....being deaf is better than being dead.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Honestly, I wont use it. Im not so much worried about all the other noises as I am SEEING the person. Ive already got a permanent ringing in my ears, what am I going to hurt more? Ive heard weapons fire without ear pro, no different in a life or death situation. Last thing on my mind is the ear pro. Its grab and go.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234