How do you become an NRA instructor? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you become an NRA instructor?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy bird View Post
    Have you checked with Major Waldrines in Barrington n.h. ???? Or call Belmont arms !!!!
    I go shooting at Belmont firearms/indoor range now and then. It's a nice range but I got sick of driving all the way up there to go shooting. That is one of the main reasons why I chose to join a local range for a 35 dollar yearly fee Vs Belmonts 190 dollars. I have spoken to Stephen Guess about training classes a few times now. But he wishes to push his tranining views on me and thats a huge turn off.

All the training I'm looking for (Ready gun positions
    Universal cover - scan
    Pivots and turns
    Malfunction clearing immediate action
    Tactical and emergency reloads
    Selection and use of cover
    Multiple threat engagement
    One hand firing techniques
    Ground fighting with a handgun
    Unusual firing positions
    Close proximity techniques for violent encounter tactics
    Introduction to low light operations
    Shooting from and around cars
    Non Dominant hand draw and reload).

I'm not about to pay him 300(600 if I also pay for my wife to take the classes) and have him tell me he is unwilling to teach/train me in the above because those are police tactics. When I can pay 30 dollars more to Vermont tactical and they will train me and my wife in all of the above. They do not offer instructor certs at belmont is what I was told last time I called.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

3. Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    I go shooting at Belmont firearms/indoor range now and then. It's a nice range but I got sick of driving all the way up there to go shooting. That is one of the main reasons why I chose to join a local range for a 35 dollar yearly fee Vs Belmonts 190 dollars. I have spoken to Stephen Guess about training classes a few times now. But he wishes to push his tranining views on me and thats a huge turn off.

All the training I'm looking for (Ready gun positions
    Universal cover - scan
    Pivots and turns
    Malfunction clearing immediate action
    Selection and use of cover
    Multiple threat engagement
    Unusual firing positions
    Close proximity techniques for violent encounter tactics
    Non Dominant hand draw and reload).

I'm not about to pay him 300(600 if I also pay for my wife to take the classes) and have him tell me he is unwilling to teach/train me in the above because those are police tactics. When I can pay 30 dollars more to Vermont tactical and they will train me and my wife in all of the above. They do not offer instructor certs at belmont is what I was told last time I called.
    What above is considered a L.E tactic? All of those seem like reasonable skills an armed citizen should have...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

[QUOTE=ClearSightTactical;178300]What above is considered a L.E tactic? All of those seem like reasonable skills an armed citizen should have...[/QUOTE

According to him weapon retention is a LEO skill and it has no value for the armed citizen. He says the only time a citizen would need such a skill would be if they have done something wrong and someone is trying to take their firearm.

All LEO skills( for the most part the whole list I posted in the above post he looks at as all LEO skills.)

I also asked if he could teach my wife some drills to use with the shotgun for HD(home defense) and I got "Why". I then said because she does not wish to use her handgun for HD. I was then told shotguns and AR-15 and other long guns are not good for HD. You should use your handgun etc... I'm not going to pay a instructor who is unwilling to teach me the skills we wish to learn/refresh on when so many other instructors are willing. Sigarms academy/Vermont tactical are all willing to teach me all of the above and more so my money will be spent with them.

5. [quote=S&WM&P40;178318]
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    What above is considered a L.E tactic? All of those seem like reasonable skills an armed citizen should have...[/QUOTE

According to him weapon retention is a LEO skill and it has no value for the armed citizen. He says the only time a citizen would need such a skill would be if they have done something wrong and someone is trying to take their firearm.

All LEO skills( for the most part the whole list I posted in the above post he looks at as all LEO skills.)

I also asked if he could teach my wife some drills to use with the shotgun for HD(home defense) and I got "Why". I then said because she does not wish to use her handgun for HD. I was then told shotguns and AR-15 and other long guns are not good for HD. You should use your handgun etc... I'm not going to pay a instructor who is unwilling to teach me the skills we wish to learn/refresh on when so many other instructors are willing. Sigarms academy/Vermont tactical are all willing to teach me all of the above and more so my money will be spent with them.
    Sounds like a bad businessman. There are some things that should be restricted to L.E and Military but none of the above (IMO). Also IMO civilian instructors are good for basics and requals, but I've never received instruction from a NRA PPITH/OTH or Basic Pistol certified instructor that taught anything revolutionary. This is not their purpose. I'd seek training from a NRA LEAD instructor, Combat Focus Shooting, Magpul Dynamics, etc. for more advanced skills.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

[quote=ClearSightTactical;178347]
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post

Sounds like a bad businessman. There are some things that should be restricted to L.E and Military but none of the above (IMO). Also IMO civilian instructors are good for basics and requals, but I've never received instruction from a NRA PPITH/OTH or Basic Pistol certified instructor that taught anything revolutionary. This is not their purpose. I'd seek training from a NRA LEAD instructor, Combat Focus Shooting, Magpul Dynamics, etc. for more advanced skills.
    Well he is all of the above. Some of his certifications include:

United States Coast Guard Small Arms Instructor
    New Jersey State Police Firearms Instructor
    Weaponry Survival Tactics Program Instructor
    FBI Hostage Negotiator & Crisis Intervention
    NRA Law Enforcement Activities Division Certified Firearms Instructor

I'll be spending the extra money and taking classes from Sig or in Vermont. In this day and age when you have gang members joining the military. To learn combat skills and then taking them back to the streets and teaching other gang members how to conduct ambushes, counter assault ops etc.. The average Joe needs to know more then ever how to protect him/her self. We train known gang members how to enter and clear houses but yet John Q should not have this skill? That's nuts!

[quote=S&WM&P40;178318]
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    What above is considered a L.E tactic? All of those seem like reasonable skills an armed citizen should have...[/QUOTE

Nuff said.

I hope to someday take a vacation to Exeter, NH and attend the Sig Academy. I really would like to do it this late spring or early summer, but don't know if I can get it together. My wife and I have never been to that part of the country and we would drive up. That is the problem, the drive takes a lot of our time. Maybe it will happen.

Step-by-step

I have talked to people who are instructors and they say it's easy to become a instructor. But just what does becoming a instructor entail?...
    There is a lot of helpful info in this thread, but to answer your question a bit differently:
    1. Go to the NRA training portal listed earlier. Search for the nearest instructor training and pick the the date most convenient (yes, it looks like this will involve a travel investment, but there must be other local citizens like yourself that would gladly pay for training - you might make back the investment $ plus much more!)
    2. Review the prerequisites. Some courses require taking the student-level course before the instructor course, others require a pre-assessment.
    3. Choose the starting discipline (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloaders...). You'll need to ensure that the Basic course involves the Basic Instructor Training (BIT), the fundamental NRA instructor training that introduces the student to the basics of presenting an NRA course. Most do, but I am seeing a trend lately where the TC provides the BIT at set times per year, and then programs the various training (BIT-less) through-out the rest of the year. Sometimes inconvenient to us instructor candidates, but that appears to be the TC's call.
    4. Complete the training and associated test.
    5. If...WHEN successful, NRA will mail you your training credentials in 2-4 weeks.
    6. Option: Consider NRA's instructor homestudy option for the Range Safety Officer.

Fellow instructors: what did I forget?

Quote Originally Posted by Regular_Joe View Post
    There is a lot of helpful info in this thread, but to answer your question a bit differently:
    1. Go to the NRA training portal listed earlier. Search for the nearest instructor training and pick the the date most convenient (yes, it looks like this will involve a travel investment,
      but there must be other local citizens like yourself that would gladly pay for training - you might make back the investment $ plus much more!)
    2. Review the prerequisites. Some courses require taking the student-level course before the instructor course, others require a pre-assessment.
    3. Choose the starting discipline (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloaders...). You'll need to ensure that the Basic course involves the Basic Instructor Training (BIT), the fundamental NRA instructor training that introduces the student to the basics of presenting an NRA course. Most do, but I am seeing a trend lately where the TC provides the BIT at set times per year, and then programs the various training (BIT-less) through-out the rest of the year. Sometimes inconvenient to us instructor candidates, but that appears to be the TC's call.
    5. If...WHEN successful, NRA will mail you your training credentials in 2-4 weeks.
    6. Option: Consider NRA's instructor homestudy option for the Range Safety Officer.

As was my goal when I started on this quest. But My goal is not to make money rather just train people wishing to get training in the local area. As I stated above my only charge would be enough to cover supplys to hold the class. Home study would be outstanding but sadly they do not offer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular_Joe View Post
    1. Go to the NRA training portal listed earlier. Search for the nearest instructor training and pick the the date most convenient (yes, it looks like this will involve a travel investment, but there must be other local citizens like yourself that would gladly pay for training - you might make back the investment $ plus much more!)

The only thing I see wrong is that it now takes at least 8 weeks to receive your credentials. In fact, one of mine took 12 weeks.

As was my goal when I started on this quest. But My goal is not to make money rather just train people wishing to get training in the local area. As I stated above my only charge would be enough to cover supplys to hold the class. Home study would be outstanding but sadly they do not offer that.
    You can do the Range Safety Officer as a home study course. It would not hurt to get started on that and have it in hand.

Correction, you must hold one of the Basic Course Designations before you can take the RSO as a home study course.

Having just completed the NRA Training Counselor Workshop, all I have to say is that my instructor candidates should be ready to work! Considering how difficult the TC course was for me and the fact that the NRA will hold me responsible for the actions of the instructor candidates that I recommend to become NRA Certified Instructors, I won't be signing off on anyone until I'm absolutely sure that the possess the knowledge, skills AND attitude to be a NRA Certified Instructor.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast