How do you become an NRA instructor? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How do you become an NRA instructor?

There are three parts of an instructor training class.

1) Pre-course Assessment. Then NRA has set guidelines for this. The standards vary depending on the class. Instructors are expected to know specific firearms, their function and able to safely operate the firearms. There is an assessment sheet where points are deducted for unsafe gun handling, lack of knowledge, or lack of skill. Though many TC vary the standards, there are a set of standards that has been established and approved by the NRA.

2) Basic Instructor Training. This class is a minimum of 6 hours, and is a prerequisite for any Instructor Development Class. Basically the class teaches Instructor Candidates how to use the lesson plans and teach the classes in a fashion approved by the NRA. This class can be waived under two circumstances. 1) Instructor Candidate has successfully completed Basic Instructor Training within two years prior to their Instructor Development Class. 2) Instructor Candidate has taught or assisted in teaching a Basic Instructor Training Class.

3) Instructor Development Class. This class is discipline specific. There are numerous exercises, instructional concepts, and instruction methods that are taught in this class. Due to the nature of the class, it is recommended that there be no fewer than 4 Instructor Candidates so the Instructor Candidates can gain the most from the class and the instruction will be the most effective.

As for refunding money to those not passing the class, that would depend on a number of circumstances. A lot of times there are Instructor Candidates that need a little help in one or more areas. There are 3 classes of NRA Instructors.

1) NRA Certified Instructor. Passed the written test with a minimum score of 90%, and has successfully completed the Instructor Development Class.
    2) Assistant NRA Instructor. Passed the written test with a minimum score of 85%. Can assist with NRA classes, but is not certified to purchase the instructional materials or issue certificates of completion.
    3) Apprentice NRA Instructor. Individuals that are 13 -17 years of age, and have met the requirements of Assistant NRA Instructor.

If an Instructor Candidate doesn't meet the standards to be a NRA Certified Instructor, then there is the option to retrain, possibly in a future class or outside of class. Another option would be to offer the candidate the Assistant Instructor rating. Through experience in helping with future Basic or Instructor classes, the candidate would gain the knowledge or skills necessary to become a NRA Certified Instructor. One thing that I have limited abilities in fixing would be an Instructor Candidate's attitude. I can make suggestions, but it would be on the individual to change their attitude to one that would convince me that they are a solid NRA Instructor Candidate.

The class tuition covers the training materials that are required to be given to students/NRA Instructor Candidates by the NRA. There are also expenses such as facility rentals, range time, course instruction materials, snacks, and refreshments, travel time for the instructors, postage and misc. office supplies, and most importantly, the instructor's time and knowledge. I will do everything in my power to ensure that a student or Instructor Candidate passes the course. If the individual is failing, it is a direct reflection on my teaching methods. Once I've done everything in my power (that is in compliance with NRA Policies and Procedures), and the student still has difficulty in completing the course, I may issue a partial refund. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair to the other instructors and students in the class to have to cover the expenses of the student(s) who were unable to catch on to the material.

Hope I've answered your questions.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

3. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    There are three parts of an instructor training class.

1) Pre-course Assessment. Then NRA has set guidelines for this. The standards vary depending on the class. Instructors are expected to know specific firearms, their function and able to safely operate the firearms. There is an assessment sheet where points are deducted for unsafe gun handling, lack of knowledge, or lack of skill. Though many TC vary the standards, there are a set of standards that has been established and approved by the NRA.

2) Basic Instructor Training. This class is a minimum of 6 hours, and is a prerequisite for any Instructor Development Class. Basically the class teaches Instructor Candidates how to use the lesson plans and teach the classes in a fashion approved by the NRA. This class can be waived under two circumstances. 1) Instructor Candidate has successfully completed Basic Instructor Training within two years prior to their Instructor Development Class. 2) Instructor Candidate has taught or assisted in teaching a Basic Instructor Training Class.

3) Instructor Development Class. This class is discipline specific. There are numerous exercises, instructional concepts, and instruction methods that are taught in this class. Due to the nature of the class, it is recommended that there be no fewer than 4 Instructor Candidates so the Instructor Candidates can gain the most from the class and the instruction will be the most effective.

As for refunding money to those not passing the class, that would depend on a number of circumstances. A lot of times there are Instructor Candidates that need a little help in one or more areas. There are 3 classes of NRA Instructors.

1) NRA Certified Instructor. Passed the written test with a minimum score of 90%, and has successfully completed the Instructor Development Class.
    2) Assistant NRA Instructor. Passed the written test with a minimum score of 85%. Can assist with NRA classes, but is not certified to purchase the instructional materials or issue certificates of completion.
    3) Apprentice NRA Instructor. Individuals that are 13 -17 years of age, and have met the requirements of Assistant NRA Instructor.

If an Instructor Candidate doesn't meet the standards to be a NRA Certified Instructor, then there is the option to retrain, possibly in a future class or outside of class. Another option would be to offer the candidate the Assistant Instructor rating. Through experience in helping with future Basic or Instructor classes, the candidate would gain the knowledge or skills necessary to become a NRA Certified Instructor. One thing that I have limited abilities in fixing would be an Instructor Candidate's attitude. I can make suggestions, but it would be on the individual to change their attitude to one that would convince me that they are a solid NRA Instructor Candidate.

The class tuition covers the training materials that are required to be given to students/NRA Instructor Candidates by the NRA. There are also expenses such as facility rentals, range time, course instruction materials, snacks, and refreshments, travel time for the instructors, postage and misc. office supplies, and most importantly, the instructor's time and knowledge. I will do everything in my power to ensure that a student or Instructor Candidate passes the course. If the individual is failing, it is a direct reflection on my teaching methods. Once I've done everything in my power (that is in compliance with NRA Policies and Procedures), and the student still has difficulty in completing the course, I may issue a partial refund. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair to the other instructors and students in the class to have to cover the expenses of the student(s) who were unable to catch on to the material.

Hope I've answered your questions.

gf
    Thank you, that was very detailed and informative!
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345