What type of ammo did Jared Loughner used at the Tuscon shooting? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of ammo did Jared Loughner used at the Tuscon shooting?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    First off, Geraldo is a moron. He's so anti that in his opinion a .22 is 'massive'. I guess a .50AE would be ginormous.

I have to believe he used ball ammo for the obvious.
    It seems like Geraldo hasn't been around much ammo if he calls 9mm massive. If he ever saw a .50 cal sniper rifle bullet he would have to change his drawers. I would guess the lady was hit with ball ammo because she is still alive. I saw a man hit in the head with a hollow point and the whole back of his head was blown out and there was no question about his status. Sort of like a hollowed out pumpkin. Regardless of the type ammo he used, Glock has received quite a bit of publicity from this shooting that they probably would rather have done without! I did see on the news that those 30 rd. "ammothingys" are selling like hotcakes before they get banned again.

Geraldo is a "Sensationalist" haven't you gathered that yet? He makes a mountain our of a mole hill on everything he reports! As for the ammo used by Tuscon's Village Idiot, Pima Co. Sheriff Clem Dumpnick stated they were FMJ, "or more damage would been done". My question is; If Sheriff Dumpnick is such a hardcore liberal, where was his Security coverage of Rep. Giffords event?
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Had to be FMJ ball ammo. A JHP round would have caused more brain damage.

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    I know we can all save money for the things we want, but a buying a glock, a high capacity magazine, and multiple boxes of ammunition, as well as taxis and hotel rooms seems kind of pricey for a guy who doesn't work.
    Just a few personal thoughts, based on my own financial limitations.
    He was kick out of collage so the price of a Glock and two 30 round magazine would have been close to the cost of that semesters books and supplies needed for the classes being taken.

I would be willing to bet that the money used was left over from the student loan check given to student to pay for the upcoming semester. And being that they kicked him out he was able to spend the money else where.

I still don't get it how this guy who was obviously disturbed, was able to purchase a hand gun. Even if it is AZ, he still had to fill out the forms and pass the FBI check. Right? I think somebody dropped the ball at that gun store. Guess will have to wait & see when more info comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    I still don't get it how this guy who was obviously disturbed, was able to purchase a hand gun. Even if it is AZ, he still had to fill out the forms and pass the FBI check. Right? I think somebody dropped the ball at that gun store. Guess will have to wait & see when more info comes in.
    The dealer and FBI (NICS) did what they were supposed to do. The ball was dropped by Sheriff Dupnik (who has turned the space between a TV camera and his mug into the most dangerous place in Arizona), the Tucson police, the Pima Community College campus police, and others who repeatedly missed opportunities to either arrest him for all the threats he was making and/or detain him for a mental health evaluation and potential commitment proceedings.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
    Founder and Past President, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    From what has been revealed, it looks like he had a clean record, as scary as that sounds. He probably should have been "caught," but never was.

In my line of work, I evaluate folks like this (and many other types) for psychiatric care, sometimes resulting in commitment. Every state has its own laws regarding this, but the bottom line of the laws are usually pretty similar. I do find at times that law enforcement will send individuals to the hospital for evaluation, which may end up taking the place of charges being filed, supposedly because they want to person to "get help." I also deal with family members on a regular basis who will never consider filing charges because doing so reportedly won't "help" their loved one. This is a hard choice to make, but this situation shows too well how bad an outcome can be.

No system is perfect in that some people will end up "flying under the radar," for fault of the "system," or their family, or even law enforcement. Yes, hindsight here shows that a number of people and entities could have stepped in and done something that may have changed the final outcome. However, I believe this type of "profiling" has caused more trouble for innocent bystanders trying to help over the past few years, as people who reportedly look like terrorists have sued these helpful and proactive individuals for things like slander.

The right thing to do is the hard thing, and it's right on the edge of a very slippery slope.

Remember that HIPAA laws prevent the release of medical information about anyone. If he was treated, it would not be on any record anywhere that the NICS system would access, so he would not have been rejected for the purchase of the Glock.

The question on the 4473 form asks if you have ever been adjudicated mentally defective (that would be by a court, board, commission etc) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution. He could answer no to that question, even if he had received treatment.

As far as I can see, the dealer who sold him the gun seems to have handled it OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    Remember that HIPAA laws prevent the release of medical information about anyone. If he was treated, it would not be on any record anywhere that the NICS system would access, so he would not have been rejected for the purchase of the Glock.

The question on the 4473 form asks if you have ever been adjudicated mentally defective (that would be by a court, board, commission etc) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution. He could answer no to that question, even if he had received treatment.

As far as I can see, the dealer who sold him the gun seems to have handled it OK.
    The shooter did commit a felony when he did fill out the paperwork. But not the dealer. Had to have lied on question 11(e) of http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf. e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? As question 12 e on OMB NO. 1512-0129 / ATF F 4473 (5300.9) PART I (10-2001) also. And on the form he signed would have been this:
    I certify that the above answers are true and correct. I understand that answering “yes” to question 12a when I am not the actual buyer of the firearm is a crime punishable as a felony. I understand that a person who answers “yes” to any of the questions 12b through 12k is prohibited from purchasing or receiving a firearm. I understand that a person who answers “yes” to question 12l is prohibited from purchasing or receiving a firearm, unless the person also answers “yes” to question 13. I also understand that making any false oral or written statement, or exhibiting any false or misrepresented identification with respect to this transaction, is a crime punishable as a felony. I further understand that the repetitive purchase of firearms for the purpose of resale for livelihood and profit without a Federal firearms license is a violation of law. (See Important Notice 8.)

Interesting Data

My Walmart here in Tennessee also just sells ball ammo for 9mm. I know different stores carry different stock.

Some interesting numbers to make you think:

Pima County Arizona population 1,012,018 (2008 census data)
    26,384 active carry permits (1-30-11)
    347 Instructors
    149 organizations
    (this data from azdps.gov/services/Concealed_Weapons/statistics)

That means 1 in 38 people have active carry permits in that county. Why didn't they act? Makes you wonder...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast