What type of ammo did Jared Loughner used at the Tuscon shooting? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: What type of ammo did Jared Loughner used at the Tuscon shooting?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockdude View Post
    prolly standard ball ammo. cnn says he bought it from walmart. walmart doesnt carry hollowpoints in anything but 22 lr
    Incorrect, I bought a box of 100 Remington 9mm 115 GR HP at Walmart just three weeks ago. However, I think the guy did use standard ball ammo.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester State Forest, SC
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by jlperryusa View Post
    My Walmart here in Tennessee also just sells ball ammo for 9mm. I know different stores carry different stock.

    Some interesting numbers to make you think:

    Pima County Arizona population 1,012,018 (2008 census data)
    26,384 active carry permits (1-30-11)
    347 Instructors
    149 organizations
    (this data from azdps.gov/services/Concealed_Weapons/statistics)

    That means 1 in 38 people have active carry permits in that county. Why didn't they act? Makes you wonder...
    I don't see your point.

    Just because 1 in 38 citizens of the county have permits, that doesn't mean that 1 in 38 of the people in front of Safeway that morning had permits. And even if 1 in 38 did, that doesn't mean that 100% of those people were carrying.

    Sad but true, some people take the time and effort to get a CWP and then go out in public unarmed. I know lots of them. I don't get it.

    Seeing as Arizona is a Constitutional Carry state, your statistics are kind of meaningless anyway. Every single person in the shopping center that day who can lawfully possess a firearm could have been carrying, either openly or concealed. That means that nearly 1 out of every 1 adult could/should have been carrying. Those are a lot better odds than 1 in 38. I bet there were a bunch of 18+ non-felons present who didn't arm themselves before leaving home, and probably never do.

    Why didn't any of them plan ahead? And if they did plan ahead, why didn't they act? Kinda makes you wonder...



    On topic. This is not a verifiable fact, but a friend of mine that lives near Tucson knows a guy who knows a guy who's brother-in-law is a Tucson cop. Word is that the ammo used was the Federal maroon box for $10.47. But that's just rumor at this point.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

  4. #23
    I typically go around unarmed even though I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun as do most people who work in a K-12 school.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Why didn't any of them plan ahead? And if they did plan ahead, why didn't they act? Kinda makes you wonder...



    .
    Just FWIW, one of the citizens who atacked/restrained Loughner was carrying, but did not think it prudent to pull his weapon.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester State Forest, SC
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Just FWIW, one of the citizens who atacked/restrained Loughner was carrying, but did not think it prudent to pull his weapon.
    FWIW, Mr Zamudio was in a Walgreens somewhere in the shopping center and arrived after the fact. Here he is talking to a royal dumbass.

    YouTube - Tucson Shooting Hero Joe Zamudio Sets Ed Schultz Right On Owning A Pistol

    Rep Giffords is also a CWP holder in the state of Arizona but was also apparently unarmed, not that it would have made any difference. Having a gun is no guarantee you'll be able to protect yourself. Not having a gun is a pretty good guarantee you won't be able to.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    FT Bragg, NC
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
    Although I have not purchased ammo at the Wal-Marts in my area lately, they have had a limit of 6 boxes a day.
    lol I bought 1x 100 round box of winchester .45 ACP, 6x 50 round boxes of Federal .45 ACP FMJ and 6x 25 round boxes of Winchester 12ga at walmart on sunday on my way to the range lol and I didnt even get a funny look while open carrying hehehe

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Glockdude View Post
    prolly standard ball ammo. cnn says he bought it from walmart. walmart doesnt carry hollowpoints in anything but 22 lr
    I went to my local Wal-Mart last week to pickup some ammo for an upcoming shooting event and the *only* thing they had in 9mm was hollowpoint... Must vary by store.

  9. #28
    I have purchaced Winchester Silvertips at *#@-mart before. That was in 40S&W though, not 9mm.

  10. #29

    full metal jacket 99.394% sure

    The Glock 19 is a 9mm Luger, (9x19mm). Standard bullet weights are 115 or 124 grain. The type of wounds described seen to indicate full metal jacket bullets which probably saved Congresswoman Gifford, but caused multiple other injuries because the bullet travels further. The 9mm Luger is a fast bullet, it is not a "massive" bullet. Fast and small = penetration, not expansion. There certainly was no need for the media to describe any more detail about the exact ammunition he used, however if he had used a highly efficient bullet, (expanding self defense type), I'm sure the media would have taken the opportunity to malign not only the gun but the ammunition.

    It's good that someone didn't open up on Loughner, we didn't need a concealed carry holder shooting into a crowd of people. Shooting in a crowd of people is something even experts with specialized ammunition avoid.
    This guy should have never been able to buy a gun from a dealer, the background check should have nullified his right to buy. That being said he could have obtained a handgun through a different source, the same way garden variety criminals and gang bangers get theirs. Laws only keep law abiding people from disobeying the law. As soon as the shooting in Arizona happened I knew there would be another cry for more laws, bans, and limits. The obama administration proudly states that they never waste a crisis.

  11. #30

    Large Magazines

    Quote Originally Posted by shermr View Post
    The Glock 19 is a 9mm Luger, (9x19mm). Standard bullet weights are 115 or 124 grain. The type of wounds described seen to indicate full metal jacket bullets which probably saved Congresswoman Gifford, but caused multiple other injuries because the bullet travels further. The 9mm Luger is a fast bullet, it is not a "massive" bullet. Fast and small = penetration, not expansion. There certainly was no need for the media to describe any more detail about the exact ammunition he used, however if he had used a highly efficient bullet, (expanding self defense type), I'm sure the media would have taken the opportunity to malign not only the gun but the ammunition.

    It's good that someone didn't open up on Loughner, we didn't need a concealed carry holder shooting into a crowd of people. Shooting in a crowd of people is something even experts with specialized ammunition avoid.
    This guy should have never been able to buy a gun from a dealer, the background check should have nullified his right to buy. That being said he could have obtained a handgun through a different source, the same way garden variety criminals and gang bangers get theirs. Laws only keep law abiding people from disobeying the law. As soon as the shooting in Arizona happened I knew there would be another cry for more laws, bans, and limits. The obama administration proudly states that they never waste a crisis.
    -----
    Note of interest:
    Though not related to the Arizona shooting (on my part), about a week after the Arizona incident, I tried to order some AR-15 Magpul magazines from Midway USA. They were out of stock of all types, colors, and sizes. I am sure the reason was fear on the part of law abiding shooters that the government (at some level) would soon outlaw magazines which held over about 5 rounds. This was a knee jerk reaction, but understandable, because of the Clinton era (and continuing California) ban on magazines with over 10 round capacity. We must be continually viligent against an out-of-control government that would take away our 2nd Amendment freedoms at any opportunity.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast