CCW'er Defends Himself at Walmart (N Las Vegas) - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW'er Defends Himself at Walmart (N Las Vegas)

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    Well, my penal code says this:

A person is privileged to threaten or intentionally use force against another for the purpose of preventing or terminating what the person reasonably believes to be an unlawful interference with his or her person by such other person. The actor may intentionally use only such force or threat thereof as the actor reasonably believes is necessary to prevent or terminate the interference. The actor may not intentionally use force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself.

And that sounds to me like if someone throws me to the ground I have a reason to fear for my life. I am 6'3", and 245, so if I hit the ground at the will of someone attacking me, they are obviously not going to let me have the chance to get back up and fight back, or even run away. So you can bet your ***** I am going to draw and given a reason I will dump a round or 2 into the part of their body that will make them stop attacking the fastest.

I agree with TREO, there is far too much chance that when someone knocks you down, they are going to make it a point not to let you back up. So the only reasonable way to view this is that the attacker intends to cause great bodily harm or death.
    Not only do you have to believe your life is threatened, the local prosecutor, and possibly a jury needs to see it the same way. If you truly fear for your life when knocked to the ground, by all means defend yourself. However, be prepared for the possible consequences.

good point

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Sorry, but armed-an-rdy would be going to the morgue while I'd be going to the hospital before going home. I won't put myself in a position to take a fall, as it could either make me a vegetable or kill me, without defending myself. Up to and including the use of deadly force. And be totally justified.

Per FS 776.013 (3):

A fall, by many people, can do great bodily harm or cause death.
    meet force with force,my point exactly. if you are throw to the ground and no weapon is produced.i see no reason to pull your weapon.thats all ive been trying to point out.if you beleive you life is in danger and you fire your weapon.i hope it doesnt go to trail.and im not a troll.i just find this subject interesting.

Sorry, but armed-an-rdy would be going to the morgue while I'd be going to the hospital before going home. I won't put myself in a position to take a fall, as it could either make me a vegetable or kill me, without defending myself. Up to and including the use of deadly force. And be totally justified.

Per FS 776.013 (3):

A fall, by many people, can do great bodily harm or cause death.
    are you falling from a 2 story roof top, or just being throw to the ground,why does being thrown to the ground get exageratted

Quote Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post
    Not only do you have to believe your life is threatened, the local prosecutor, and possibly a jury needs to see it the same way. If you truly fear for your life when knocked to the ground, by all means defend yourself. However, be prepared for the possible consequences.
    Again, I am not a little guy, and I am tattooed up from head to toe (Literally), if someone throws me to the ground they obviously intend to do as much damage as possible. That is not hard to make anyone believe. Anyone who sees a guy like me get knocked down immediately has the thought "He's gonna get his ***** whooped" and watches to see it happen.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

I can only assume that some of the respondants to this thread have never been in a real fight before

Do some of you not realize we don’t live in the 50s anymore? When morons attack they do so w/ the intent to do as much damage as they can. They are not going to knock you down and back off so you can get up and fight fair.

Once you are on the ground they are going to press their advantage. If you don’t believe me go to youtube and search “Beatdown” or “fight”.

If a random stranger attacks me w/ enough force to knock me off my feet I am going to assume he has every intention of pressing the attack and I’m going to consider myself to be at enough of a disadvantage to have satisfied the “reasonable fear of life or grievous bodily harm” threshold and I will react accordingly.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by armed-an-rdy View Post
    are you falling from a 2 story roof top, or just being throw to the ground,why does being thrown to the ground get exageratted
    Because in an attack on me, it could easily be quite deadly. The only thing keeping me able to use my right arm is 6 titanium screws and a butterfly shaped chunk of thin plastic in my neck keeping C-3 off of C-5. Inside that area is a bone spur pushing into the spinal cord also. It is why I had to retire at age 50 and why I wear a cervical collar at times. Photo below of my neck after the surgery.

Because in an attack on me, it could easily be quite deadly. The only thing keeping me able to use my right arm is 6 titanium screws and a butterfly shaped chunk of thin plastic in my neck keeping C-3 off of C-5. Inside that area is a bone spur pushing into the spinal cord also. It is why I had to retire at age 50 and why I wear a cervical collar at times. Photo below of my neck after the surgery.

Show us the x rays dude I want to see if it is Synthes (better than 90% chance ) hardware
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Show us the x rays dude I want to see if it is Synthes (better than 90% chance ) hardware
    I don't have a copy of it. I'll try for a copy from the fluoroscope next time I get a cervical epidural injection. Which will likely be next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I can only assume that some of the respondants to this thread have never been in a real fight before

Do some of you not realize we don’t live in the 50s anymore? When morons attack they do so w/ the intent to do as much damage as they can. They are not going to knock you down and back off so you can get up and fight fair.

Once you are on the ground they are going to press their advantage. If you don’t believe me go to youtube and search “Beatdown” or “fight”.

If a random stranger attacks me w/ enough force to knock me off my feet I am going to assume he has every intention of pressing the attack and I’m going to consider myself to be at enough of a disadvantage to have satisfied the “reasonable fear of life or grievous bodily harm” threshold and I will react accordingly.
    If the guy has no weapon other than his bare hands, you are likely looking at jail time for manslaughter. Legally "grievous bodily harm" is not a reasonable expectation from a bare handed attack. It is a possibility, but not a reasonable expectation sufficient to warrant deadly force. This not my opinion, but a paraphrase of one of the most popular texts on criminal law.

Quote Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post
    If the guy has no weapon other than his bare hands, you are likely looking at jail time for manslaughter. Legally "grievous bodily harm" is not a reasonable expectation from a bare handed attack. It is a possibility, but not a reasonable expectation sufficient to warrant deadly force. This not my opinion, but a paraphrase of one of the most popular texts on criminal law.
    Just for the sake of argument, I have to ask this question. If that is the case, why is it so many veterans are charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm as a result of self defense? Anyone who has taken martial arts or who has had some form of military hand to hand combat training can be just as screwed if they use their hands as if they use their firearm. As a martial artist I was taught the amount of damage that you can do if you are not careful, and being prior military the same holds true there.

More often than not, you don't know the background of the person attacking you, so if they do, there is no telling what will happen.

I was attacked at one point by a rated black belt, he swung across my left shoulder from behind me and broke my jaw clean in 2 pieces, knocked a tooth out, split another tooth in half, and opened up a crater in the back of my mouth big enough for me to stick my thumb in. 118 stitches, a metal plate, and 2 screws later the idea of use of comparable force had a new definition for me.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast