Privately Selling A Handgun - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Privately Selling A Handgun

This has all been helpful because it is something I have thought about but in the reverse.
    What if I want to buy a gun in a private sale situation?
    The only thing I can think of is that to be prudent I might want to see ID or a copy of the sellers driver's license along with an invoice of sorts that states that he sold me the gun, listing the date of sale and the serial # of the gun. This would be in case the gun was used in a crime prior to me buying it.
    Please comment. Thanks

3. In the past, I have done a two-part bill of sale.

I, NavyLT, did on Feb 1, 2011 sell one Taurus PT-145, serial number XXXXXX to Joe Citizen and did receive $250 as the purchase price of same gun. Signed: NavyLT. The buyer gets that one as a receipt for his money.

I, Joe Citizen, did on Feb 1, 2011 purchase one Taurus PT-145, serial number XXXXX from Navy LT for the purchase price of $250 and did receive same firearm. Signed: Joe Citizen. I would get that one as a receipt for my gun.

Although not required by law, I would show an ID card for verification of state of residence and age, but no way am I providing a copy of it nor would require a copy from the other party. If you don't trust them enough to buy/sell a gun from them, then why would you trust them with a copy of an ID card AND if I am not willing to give them a copy of my DL, then I do not feel it appropriate to ask one from them.

some of those local laws appear to violate the Firearm Owner's Protection Act, which states in it that NO firearms except for NFA weapons can be registered by the gov't , state gov't or any lower form of gov't.

Regardless of the legal ability to sell as an individual, I think it is best to run the transaction through a local FFL holder. Think of the cost of the middleman as liability insurance. Even if you do everything right as an individual, should a problem or question arise in regard to the transaction your cost in time and legal expenses to show you did nothing wrong will far exceed the cost of the middleman. If you screw up, you could end up in jail. I guess I just not that greedy, but then I live in a state where you can't even inherit a pistol without a permit.

All good responses. Just have to be prudent. I wouldn't give a copy of my DL but would show it.
    Just CYA!

7. I know a lot of gun owners who are selling their firearms FTF so that they can eliminate their colllection. Then they buy the exact makes and models at gunshows or from others FTF, thus recreating their entire collection off paper. I can't beleive all of the people on here that are recommending that the OP going through a FFL. in addition to unneccesarily paying the FFL the transfer fee (he WILL charge you) you are unneccesarily creating a paper trail. If a confiscation ever does develop (god forbid) you're making sure that our overlords know exactly what you have. Not a good idea. It is perfectly legal to conduct a private FTF transfer. If it makes you feel better, do a bill of sale. Some state laws notwithtanding.

Quote Originally Posted by hoverman View Post
    I know a lot of gun owners who are selling their firearms FTF so that they can eliminate their colllection. Then they buy the exact makes and models at gunshows or from others FTF, thus recreating their entire collection off paper. I can't beleive all of the people on here that are recommending that the OP going through a FFL. in addition to unneccesarily paying the FFL the transfer fee (he WILL charge you) you are unneccesarily creating a paper trail. If a confiscation ever does develop (god forbid) you're making sure that our overlords know exactly what you have. Not a good idea. It is perfectly legal to conduct a private FTF transfer. If it makes you feel better, do a bill of sale. Some state laws notwithtanding.
    You need some work on your logic.

If they sell FTF and buy FTF with no paper trail, the paper trail from the initial purchase says they still have the guns that they have, just with the wrong serial numbers. To eliminate the paper trail, they need to sell through an FFL before buying FTF. Selling through an FFL means the "overlords" as you call them will not come looking for the gun at your place because the paper trail says you no longer have them. When you get rid of a firearm, the paper trail is your friend.

Don't own any guns never purchased any.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12