Privately Selling A Handgun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Privately Selling A Handgun

Privately Selling A Handgun

From anyone that's done it, I live in MN (if that matters), do I need to fill out any paperwork or can I just put an ad in the paper and sell it to anyone interested?

I do believe there is a "transfer" paperwork sheet from the local PD I can get but I don't know if I have to use it.

Thank you....

go to !!!

Take you the buyer and the gun to a dealer and do it there !!!!

Private Sale

I sold a pistol some time back but before listing it in the paper, I called the Sheriff's office and asked about the legality of selling it that way. I was told that there would be no problem doing so. The only caution I received was about selling it to someone that I personally knew to be a felon and not authorized to have a gun. No other requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by KCD1974 View Post
    From anyone that's done it, I live in MN (if that matters), do I need to fill out any paperwork or can I just put an ad in the paper and sell it to anyone interested?

I do believe there is a "transfer" paperwork sheet from the local PD I can get but I don't know if I have to use it.

Thank you....
    You could try calling your local PD or sherriff's office, but i have done this before and your chances of getting a correct answer are slim, you may be better off trying to ask someone at a local gun range, I do not know about Mn, but a lot of states have really no reg to speak of concerning private gun sales

I live in Nevada and just sold a Walther 9mm to the manager of the local Jeep dealership. The gun was registered (required in Clark County, Nv) to me...obviously. We typed up a bill of sale and I signed it.

He took it to the Henderson Police Sub-Station the following day to register it in his name. No issues whatsoever. We (the buyer and I) thought they might call me, or require me to come to the station, but they didn't even ask.

Thank you everyone....

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    I live in Nevada and just sold a Walther 9mm to the manager of the local Jeep dealership. The gun was registered (required in Clark County, Nv) to me...obviously. We typed up a bill of sale and I signed it.

He took it to the Henderson Police Sub-Station the following day to register it in his name. No issues whatsoever. We (the buyer and I) thought they might call me, or require me to come to the station, but they didn't even ask.
    You have to register your firearms in Nevada? Wow That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by armyman_83 View Post
    You have to register your firearms in Nevada? Wow That sucks.
    Only in Clark County.

In Minnesota:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...9.66&year=2010

Read the whole chapters:

Subd. 1f.Gross misdemeanor; transferring firearm without background check.A person, other than a federally licensed firearms dealer, who transfers a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon to another without complying with the transfer requirements of section 624.7132, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if the transferee possesses or uses the weapon within one year after the transfer in furtherance of a felony crime of violence, and if:

(1) the transferee was prohibited from possessing the weapon under section 624.713 at the time of the transfer; or

(2) it was reasonably foreseeable at the time of the transfer that the transferee was likely to use or possess the weapon in furtherance of a felony crime of violence.
    So long as the buyer is a Law Abiding Citizen and no crime is committed within one year, then nothing is required to sell the handgun privately. If you are concerned, then you can either take the gun to an FFL and do the transfer there (and they will charge you a transfer fee), or comply with 624.7132, which I am not going to quote here because it might crash the entire internet! :-)

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...10&id=624.7132

10. Sell it on Gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com.

Ask to make a copy of their DL and make up a bill of sale..
    This does a couple of things.. IF there is ever a problem in the future with the gun, you can show that you sold it..
    IF the buyer has a real issue with providing you ID, then you probably shouldn't sell it to them..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast