Another aspect of Range Safety
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Another aspect of Range Safety

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    68

    Another aspect of Range Safety

    I have always been leery of shooting alone and not having a loaded weapon on me at all times while at the range. A couple years ago my fears where proved right when a pastor was shooting alone at a local range when two deserters from Fort Drum showed up. They murdered him and took his weapons for their criminal activities while on the lam. The law caught both of them; however, unfortunately, WV does not have the death penalty. I and everyone here wished the Army could have court martialed and hung 'em
    Please, everyone, when you go to the range, you really should have a buddy and both of you be armed and readyat all times. Criminals are always going to go where they think the guns are.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHTESTER View Post
    I have always been leery of shooting alone and not having a loaded weapon on me at all times while at the range. A couple years ago my fears where proved right when a pastor was shooting alone at a local range when two deserters from Fort Drum showed up. They murdered him and took his weapons for their criminal activities while on the lam. The law caught both of them; however, unfortunately, WV does not have the death penalty. I and everyone here wished the Army could have court martialed and hung 'em
    Please, everyone, when you go to the range, you really should have a buddy and both of you be armed and readyat all times. Criminals are always going to go where they think the guns are.
    +1000

    I had this conversation with a couple last time I was at the range.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHTESTER View Post
    I have always been leery of shooting alone and not having a loaded weapon on me at all times while at the range. A couple years ago my fears where proved right when a pastor was shooting alone at a local range when two deserters from Fort Drum showed up. They murdered him and took his weapons for their criminal activities while on the lam. The law caught both of them; however, unfortunately, WV does not have the death penalty. I and everyone here wished the Army could have court martialed and hung 'em
    Please, everyone, when you go to the range, you really should have a buddy and both of you be armed and readyat all times. Criminals are always going to go where they think the guns are.
    Not only that but watch other shooters as well. In the past few years more and more people have been killing them self's and loved ones at ranges with rented firearms. I hate public ranges I always feel unsafe because of the untrained guy/girl in the next lane(not even the basics of safe firearm handling). You see them with their fingers on the trigger while pointing the firearm to the side. It's to the point that I'm thinking about wearing a vest when and if I go again.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Not only that but watch other shooters as well. In the past few years more and more people have been killing them self's and loved ones at ranges with rented firearms. I hate public ranges I always feel unsafe because of the untrained guy/girl in the next lane(not even the basics of safe firearm handling). You see them with their fingers on the trigger while pointing the firearm to the side. It's to the point that I'm thinking about wearing a vest when and if I go again.
    Generally speaking 90% of the people that I have seen at this range practice safe handling. However, I have seen a few (and it only takes one) that were dangerous. My cousin owns some hilly woodlands. He has a lane dozed out that has a backstop against a hill. We can go out to 100 yds. for the rifles. With what happened at the public range and the few unsafe people I have ran into there, we just use his place now.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHTESTER View Post
    Generally speaking 90% of the people that I have seen at this range practice safe handling. However, I have seen a few (and it only takes one) that were dangerous. My cousin owns some hilly woodlands. He has a lane dozed out that has a backstop against a hill. We can go out to 100 yds. for the rifles. With what happened at the public range and the few unsafe people I have ran into there, we just use his place now.
    Must be nice

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Not only that but watch other shooters as well.
    + 1000

    At my local range, owned and operated by the VVA, all summer long you have people that will just start walking down range while you are still on live fire. Granted we are a Terrorist (Tourist) town, and most of the people that come up here are from around Chicago, but you would think that the report from a large caliber rifle or pistol would be enough to deter them from walking out in front of it. Occasionally you will have someone that will start firing while you are down range. So I keep a loaded magazine in my AR, and my USP on my side, cause if someone wants to shoot at me, I will return fire. It is not like you can miss a Bright Red Instructor's long sleeve against sand and grass. Since I am often taking kids with me, I will not hesitate to defend them if the event arises. The stupidity of some makes them worthy of a "Darwin Award"
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

  8. Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Not only that but watch other shooters as well. In the past few years more and more people have been killing them self's and loved ones at ranges with rented firearms. I hate public ranges I always feel unsafe because of the untrained guy/girl in the next lane(not even the basics of safe firearm handling). You see them with their fingers on the trigger while pointing the firearm to the side. It's to the point that I'm thinking about wearing a vest when and if I go again.
    Hoo boy, is that ever true! I could write a short novel on the loons coming in to shoot at our local range. One poor guy rented a .45, shot a few rounds downrange, then turned the gun on himself (aiming downrange as well) and suicided. He could just as well have targeted the peeps present that day and 'taken them with him.'

    Then there are those peeps on busy Saturdays! I had to correct several 'shooters' in the proper direction to place rounds in the magazines--yes, it is quite possible to load the mag with a load of "180's."

    They walk among us!

    On thread, I DO always have my carry M&P locked & loaded in addition to the weapon being fired. With all those peeps already standing around with loaded
    guns there will be very very little reaction time if one of them goes postal.

    Thanks for the reminder!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHTESTER View Post
    I have always been leery of shooting alone and not having a loaded weapon on me at all times while at the range. A couple years ago my fears where proved right when a pastor was shooting alone at a local range when two deserters from Fort Drum showed up. They murdered him and took his weapons for their criminal activities while on the lam. The law caught both of them; however, unfortunately, WV does not have the death penalty. I and everyone here wished the Army could have court martialed and hung 'em
    Please, everyone, when you go to the range, you really should have a buddy and both of you be armed and readyat all times. Criminals are always going to go where they think the guns are.

    Before I say anything else I have to ask "Would the Pastor have pushed for the death penalty?"

    That said, The person you are reffering to was a member of the old High Road forum. There was quite an extensive thread on it over there at the time.

    When I go to the range I am usually w/ my wife; the rule is, I go down range to adjust targets she stays w/ the guns and we each have a loaded weapon on us at all times.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  10. #9
    I've only been to the range once on a Saturday and once sure was enough. Boy am I glad I have days off during the week! Shooting at a public range on the weekend can be hazardous to your health.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    ... I hate public ranges I always feel unsafe because of the untrained guy/girl in the next lane(not even the basics of safe firearm handling). You see them with their fingers on the trigger while pointing the firearm to the side. It's to the point that I'm thinking about wearing a vest when and if I go again.
    I quit shooting at public ranges years ago. If I need to take a student there, I'm sure to wear my vest.

    My wife and I rent a buddy's range (at the end of his farm) for a day for $10, and we're free to shoot all weapons, draw, move, and experiment every imaginable scenario that comes to mind. No lording-over-range-officer within 30 miles.

    Both my wife and I are always carrying - always.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast