Obama to possibly push gun control soon... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama to possibly push gun control soon...

Angry Purpose of the 2nd

For those who see no need for 30rd mags you might want to study the purpose of the 2nd ammendment. It is not there so you can go hunting or even defend yourself against criminals. It is there to defend against government oppression. Pretty simple. The gov needs to know that any attempt to oppress the people will be met with EFFECTIVE armed resistance.

A ban on mags will affect only those who follow the law. They will still be availabe to criminals and the gov. Only the good citizen will be towing the gov line. The long game being played is to chip away at personal independence.

Just look at the ban on importing shotguns with "military" features. How does that help keep anyone safe???? It is just another baby step in the wrong direction.

If they ban mags are you going to run down to the sheriff's office and turn yours in like a good sheep?

Rant off.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Naw, that wouldn't happen...too oppressive, too overt.

It would be a narrower ruling on a case brought before them...something along the lines of permitting the states and/or local jurisdictions more power to pass additional restrictions for the "protection" of their constituency. And as we've seen before last June's preemptive McDonald v. Chicago ruling put the kibosh on that practice against a Second Amendment backdrop, local antis, when in a political majority, can put some pretty onerous constraints in place.
    You must have been asleep 4 days later when Chicago passed laws just about as bad as before the ruling. It will take another case before the SCOTUS to get Chicago's attention. This time it would need fines against the city gov't. One workable gun in a home. And home does not include a porch or garage. Must use a gun range to get your license while banning gun ranges inside the city. Also bans new gunshops. You have to have a state permit before you can get a city permit. And they can make you wait up to 4 months for that permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    This is most likely the most realistic way of approaching this. Annoying yes, but if giving up 30 ct magazines makes libs feel better so be it. BUT do not take away my freedom to own guns!!!!!!!
    No, it is not reasonable. A large capacity mag will also remove some guns from the market. As some cities/states will/have declare(d) anything over a 10 round limit illegal. Next thing could be a ban on rails on guns. Then LASERs. Then a ban on all ammo over the size of .10". You'd still have your guns but you couldn't do anything with them unless you were a criminal. It is known as letting a camel's nose in the tent.

Thumbs down "Magic" number of rounds

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    What is the "magic" number of rounds in a magazine?
    If you are a guncontrol advocate, it's ZERO. Don't ever forget that that is what they want you to have, NOTHING.

I look at it like this if government has the firearm then so should the citizen. If you start allowing them to take away magazines over 10 rounds. That will put the citizens under government control due to the lack of having the same equipment that they would use to control us. Look at Egypt the protesters got shot by the government army for protesting against the government. Here in the USA if this was to happen we are lucky enough to have founding fathers that knew that the citizens needed to be armed the same as the government so that if the government got out of control the citizens could fight back. Now all the magazines I have are my property and the US constitution says I have every right to protect my property so the only way they will get them from me is to take them off my dead body for I am going to die as a free man with all the rights I was born with.

Quote Originally Posted by dkangel21 View Post
    It won't happen. It is highly unlikely that it will get through Congress thanks to the last election. The president cant do anything about it since the office of the president cannot make laws. Not to mention there are a few democrats up for election next year.
    How many laws are currently being bypassed by regulation or executive order?

The assualt weapons ban was repealed not that long ago. True it was mainly cosmetic, but it all starts with a little and becomes greater over time. Look at Australia and Great Britian. Ill never forget the bulldozer pushing all of the mounds of rifles in Australia after people were told to hand them in. Shortly thereafter, the murder rate increased dramatically. Why should they be afraid of a 30rd magazine in the hands of a law-abiding citzen?

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    Din't get me wrong, I'm not disputing what your saying at all, I've seen horders in action all my life. I remember the panic Johnny Carson created years ago when he proclaimed on his "Tonight Show" that there was a toilet paper shortage, that next day you couldn't find 'TP' in the stores anywhere, lol! But my question is, (and this is coming from a 69 yr old man with over 60 years of shooting experience), why in the hell would anyone want a 30+ rd magazine for any gun, (unless your in the Military)??? If I have to use that many rounds to defend myself, then I'm in the wrong neighborhood and I'm screwing with the wrong people...
    You know what? I actually agree with you and the 30 round mags. I think it comes down to the actual freedom of being able to just plain ol' have one that makes people buy them. I used them in the Marines, but that was the service. My brothers were never in the service, and they are hi-cap magazine crazy! I was in and really don't give a crap about the hi-cap mags. (on rifles anyway) They are actually hard to shoot with, especially from the prone, and are time consuming to load. I support the guys who want them, but if I need more than 10 rounds to defend myself, I am probably going to die no matter how many rounds I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Younkin View Post
    The assualt weapons ban was repealed not that long ago.
    That is an incorrect statement, the assault weapons ban expired in 2004. The ban was a ten year ban which the gun control advocates expected to be able to renew under the assumption that us gunowners would just let the issue die. We didn't let the issue die, so the assault weapons ban sunsetted.

Quote Originally Posted by ptco911 View Post
    How many laws are currently being bypassed by regulation or executive order?
    All that we aren't allowed to see to challenge. I.E. No Fly List.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast