Obama to possibly push gun control soon...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama to possibly push gun control soon...

Obama to possibly push gun control soon...

To the dismay of the Brady Campaign and other gun ban groups, President Barack Obama didn't address gun control during his State of the Union address on January 25th. However, Newsweek reports that "in the next two weeks, the White House will unveil a new gun-control effort," and that the White House confirms, "Obama will address the gun issue in a separate speech, likely early next month." According to Newsweek, Obama believes that gun laws have been "too loose for much longer than just the past few weeks" following the murders in Tucson, Arizona.

Precisely what President Obama might have in mind is uncertain. His post-election transition website advocated reimposing the expired federal "assault weapon" ban, but that ban would clearly be irrelevant in the wake of a shooting that involved a firearm not covered by the old ban.

Proposed Shotgun Import Ban Shows Need To Change Law: On Thursday, Jan. 27, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives released a Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns, which proposes that "military shotguns, or shotguns with common military features that are unsuitable for traditional shotgun sports" be prohibited from importation. This would apply to all shotguns -- not just semi-automatics. As in previous "working group" studies on rifles, the study fails to give proper credit to the widespread use of these guns in newer shooting sports, or to their adaptability to hunting.

just got the email, thought id share..
    Last edited by lukem; 01-30-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

I have heard this. O. wants to use the AZ shootings as an excuse to implement more gun control laws. Thing is: the shooter would not have been flagged as a no-go because he was never id'd as a mental risk by police, md's, or family; despite the fact that all of them knew he was very high risk. That is how he was able to purchase his guns and ammo.

Implementing more laws via O's way still would not catch the guy. This is typical leftist/liberal thinking.

regardless of if he goes through with it or not, its just a matter of time before capital hill gets another ban of some sort. granted it be on assault weapons, high cap mags or whatever. they always try to focus on individual shootings as a reason for a ban. not the amount of lives saved on a daily basis by weapons as a whole. its hard to tell what they will push for. time will tell...
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Doesn't matter what they push. For liberal progressives it's all about feelings. Doesn't have to work, they feel good about what they are doing. It's about safety, who can be against that. I feel safer already just thinking about it. Liberal progressives care so much, that's why they keep getting re-elected and we keep loosing our freedoms.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

If you didn't know he was going to push for more gun control at some point you're blind...

Won't happen

It won't happen. It is highly unlikely that it will get through Congress thanks to the last election. The president cant do anything about it since the office of the president cannot make laws. Not to mention there are a few democrats up for election next year.

handgonnetoter Guest
    I think that if anything is done, they will try to pass some hi capacity magazine ban of some sort. They will be able to appease some of the gun control nuts and not tick off too many of us, although they will tick me off, in the hopes of not hurting themselves too much at the ballot box in 2012. Any ban of any sort will still hurt them at the polls. It has happened before, and it will probably happen again.

O is the number one gun sells person according to the sign I see in most of the gun shops. So why do you think the media whats to say he is planning for a ban? To get most of us to go and by the fire arms we think he is going to ban and that will then be turned into the economy is making a comeback. Look at how many people rush out to buy 30 or 32 round Glock magazines after the shooting in AZ. Most stores are out of them and they are going for $10 more then the asking price before the shooting in AZ. Before rushing to buy what might get baned wait to see if the bill is put forth to ban those firearms then rush out to buy them if you don't already own one.

As for them trying to ban a firearm I have bought and owned before they pass their stupid laws they will have to take it from my cold dead hands before I will let them take it from me. As the US constitution says I have every right to protect my property.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    O is the number one gun sells person according to the sign I see in most of the gun shops. So why do you think the media whats to say he is planning for a ban? To get most of us to go and by the fire arms we think he is going to ban and that will then be turned into the economy is making a comeback. Look at how many people rush out to buy 30 or 32 round Glock magazines after the shooting in AZ. Most stores are out of them and they are going for $10 more then the asking price before the shooting in AZ. Before rushing to buy what might get baned wait to see if the bill is put forth to ban those firearms then rush out to buy them if you don't already own one.

As for them trying to ban a firearm I have bought and owned before they pass their stupid laws they will have to take it from my cold dead hands before I will let them take it from me. As the US constitution says I have every right to protect my property.
    Din't get me wrong, I'm not disputing what your saying at all, I've seen horders in action all my life. I remember the panic Johnny Carson created years ago when he proclaimed on his "Tonight Show" that there was a toilet paper shortage, that next day you couldn't find 'TP' in the stores anywhere, lol! But my question is, (and this is coming from a 69 yr old man with over 60 years of shooting experience), why in the hell would anyone want a 30+ rd magazine for any gun, (unless your in the Military)??? If I have to use that many rounds to defend myself, then I'm in the wrong neighborhood and I'm screwing with the wrong people...
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    Din't get me wrong, I'm not disputing what your saying at all, I've seen horders in action all my life. I remember the panic Johnny Carson created years ago when he proclaimed on his "Tonight Show" that there was a toilet paper shortage, that next day you couldn't find 'TP' in the stores anywhere, lol! But my question is, (and this is coming from a 69 yr old man with over 60 years of shooting experience), why in the hell would anyone want a 30+ rd magazine for any gun, (unless your in the Military)??? If I have to use that many rounds to defend myself, then I'm in the wrong neighborhood and I'm screwing with the wrong people...
    Not really the point. I may not need a 30+ mag, but if they get that "inch," how long before they go for the "Mile?"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast