Mugging Senario

Thread: Mugging Senario

Mugging Senario

I was talking with a college student of mine about him being mugged on a trip to Chicago and wasn't sure what I would do if the same happened. He was walking somewhere and crossed paths with a group of young males. He didn't feel they were a threat then one bumped him and he noticed he had taken his wallet and was going through it. He went back towards them and asked for his wallet back and the pickpocket punched him. He gather himself together and was going to swing back and someone else hit him. They took his money and threw the wallet down in the street. He lost 80 dollars and made a trip to the ER.
    What would the proper response be if he was carrying? Draw on them when he discovered his wallet missing and demand it returned? Draw after they hit him? Don't pull your weapon because the muggers were not armed and your life was not threatened? I was also concerned that if you pulled a weapon that they would run and you would never recover the wallet and credit cards. It would be nice to think that if the boys saw a red dot on their chest that they would drop your belongings and run. I would guess the muggers were between 17 and 21.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    I was talking with a college student of mine about him being mugged on a trip to Chicago and wasn't sure what I would do if the same happened. He was walking somewhere and crossed paths with a group of young males. He didn't feel they were a threat then one bumped him and he noticed he had taken his wallet and was going through it. He went back towards them and asked for his wallet back and the pickpocket punched him. He gather himself together and was going to swing back and someone else hit him. They took his money and threw the wallet down in the street. He lost 80 dollars and made a trip to the ER.
    What would the proper response be if he was carrying? Draw on them when he discovered his wallet missing and demand it returned? Draw after they hit him? Don't pull your weapon because the muggers were not armed and your life was not threatened? I was also concerned that if you pulled a weapon that they would run and you would never recover the wallet and credit cards. It would be nice to think that if the boys saw a red dot on their chest that they would drop your belongings and run. I would guess the muggers were between 17 and 21.
    It's easy for any of us to sit here and state what he should have/should not have done. But the truth is with out being there none of us can know for sure what he should have done. Myself I would have crossed the street or gone into a store till they had passed. Credit cards and money can easily be canceled and replaced but a life can not be. One could argue that you feared serious bodily harm and or for you life being attacked by a group of men. As a reason to deploy your firearm and use deadly force. You could deploy a less lethal weapon such as a baton or pepper spray. Deploying your firearm with them so close runs the risk of them disarming you and using it on you. This is one reason why I'm always looking ahead of and behind me for threats. So I can come up with a plan of action in my head should something happen I'm ready and not taken by surprise. I scan both sides of the street and while scanning the other side I can also scan behind me out of the corner of my eye. Remember one thing "there are no rules in a street fight anything goes" it's kill or be killed. As Helmuth Von Moltke in the mid-nineteenth century said
    No operation extends with any certainty beyond the first encounter with the main body of the enemy.
    . Or if you prefer today's interpretation of his words
    No plan survives first contact with the enemy
    Or maybe Sun Su
    chance favors the prepared mind

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

That's what long range wasp and hornet spray is for.
    Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat. There ARE things to be feared more than death. The fyrd is a Constitutional imperative.