How do you/have you normally purchase(d) your firearm(s)?

View Poll Results: How do you/have you normally purchase(d) your firearm(s)?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Research online, buy in person.

62 76.54%
  • Research and buy online.

4 4.94%
  • Go feel around at a gun store, and then buy online.

1 1.23%
  • Go in a gun store, find something that interest me and buy it eventually from the 1st shop.

10 12.35%
  • Online? I'm too impatient to buy anything online.

0 0%
  • I buy most (60%) or more online because prices are that much better.

4 4.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you/have you normally purchase(d) your firearm(s)?

1. How do you/have you normally purchase(d) your firearm(s)?

Hey guys,

We're considering adding an FFL to our existing business at our existing office. We're thinking of starting off doing transfers, but have also toyed with the idea being a stocking dealer as well.

So, I wanted to see what the response was like in this thread about purchasing online or buying in store.

Please feel free to post any advice, or experience.

Again, we already own a business and have a leased office where both city zoning and the property owner will allow an FFL (checked with both). We're more interested in the transfers and maybe dabbling in used guns as new gun mark-up isn't exactly "worth it" IMO.

We already have the FFL packet, spoke with insurance agents regarding GL for the business, and aren't depending on this to pay our rent (to get all those responses out of the way). I've always loved firearms, and due to a recent experience receiving a firearm from an FFL I think we could do a much better job than the local transfer agents in town.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

i live in eastern washington state and am thinking about doing the same. it sounds like its something you really want to do so go for it. i think it would be fun. life is too short to look back and say "i wish i would have......." so i think its great. also if you live in a state that is permit unfriendly having a ffl might give you the 'good cause' to get a concealed weapon permit. by the way where are you located? i am also curious how you got the packet and how the process works. good luck with your new business.

I thought about it. Did not like the idea that all employees that could transfer guns had to be fingerprinted. Also all doors and windows had to be barred. And the ATF could/would "visit" as often as they wanted. License fee and insurance cuts into profit. Plus alot of horror stories about entrapment etc. Made me decide NO. Good luck to you though.

I research as much as possible online and then buy from a local store. I've found that the cheaper price you see online doesn't amount to much savings once you add in a transfer fee and/or shipping.

The stores I've bought from have all matched the online price + transfer fee for me, so I'm not saving any money other than tax. I'm happy to pay the tax to give my business to a local shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jlamb View Post
    I research as much as possible online and then buy from a local store. I've found that the cheaper price you see online doesn't amount to much savings once you add in a transfer fee and/or shipping.

The stores I've bought from have all matched the online price + transfer fee for me, so I'm not saving any money other than tax. I'm happy to pay the tax to give my business to a local shop.
    One of the local shops here does not charge a transfer fee no matter how many or how few firearms you have transfered. That is a huge plus in my book! They also do not low ball you when you sell your firearms another huge plus in my book. I reseach all of my gear online(not just firearms) youtube is a outstanding tool for this. I love seeing a the item I'm thinking about buying in action. I understand the smaller shops have to have higher prices to stay open but some times it sucks. Being charged 29.99 for a box of 20-25 rounds when I can get the same box(or a 50 round box of the same ammo) online for 15 to 20 dollars is nuts!

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    i live in eastern washington state and am thinking about doing the same. it sounds like its something you really want to do so go for it. i think it would be fun. life is too short to look back and say "i wish i would have......." so i think its great. also if you live in a state that is permit unfriendly having a ffl might give you the 'good cause' to get a concealed weapon permit. by the way where are you located? i am also curious how you got the packet and how the process works. good luck with your new business.
    I'm sending you a PM with some of the info i've learned.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    I thought about it. Did not like the idea that all employees that could transfer guns had to be fingerprinted. Also all doors and windows had to be barred. And the ATF could/would "visit" as often as they wanted. License fee and insurance cuts into profit. Plus alot of horror stories about entrapment etc. Made me decide NO. Good luck to you though.
    All employees do have to be "responsible persons" on the license, well not technically but per ATF anyone verifying the ID and conducting the transfer has to be on record with ATF. My prints are already in the system for professional licensing with my existing business.

Also, ATF is able to do one warrant-less inspection annually, any other time requires a warrant, they can of course request trace information per 4473 storage. Bars on windows and doors is also not the case. If someone comes to you and requests or offers a bribe to do something illegal, as a man of character you should say no.

The ATF is more than willing to educate dealers on how to avoid straw purchasers, what to do in case of an illegal bribe/kickback offer for transferring to a prohibited person, and field agents are all too happy to spend their time with you explaining the rules. When I called for a basic question regarding the packet the person I was speaking with spent over an hour on the phone with me explaining the process, and what's expected.

The licensing fee is only $200 Initial, and $90 per 3 years after. Insurance i've seen is about $800-$900 per year (ie: $75/MO) depending on limits of liability.

I'm not trying to argue with you as obviously I asked for your opinion, I'm just saying maybe if this is something you want to do you should revisit it, it really does look like a profitable, enjoyable business.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    One of the local shops here does not charge a transfer fee no matter how many or how few firearms you have transfered. That is a huge plus in my book! They also do not low ball you when you sell your firearms another huge plus in my book. I reseach all of my gear online(not just firearms) youtube is a outstanding tool for this. I love seeing a the item I'm thinking about buying in action. I understand the smaller shops have to have higher prices to stay open but some times it sucks. Being charged 29.99 for a box of 20-25 rounds when I can get the same box(or a 50 round box of the same ammo) online for 15 to 20 dollars is nuts!
    That's awesome about the transfer. I can understand the logic, they probably have so many people running guns through there that while the consumer is waiting on the transfer for their new toy they either find something to put on the "next time list" or pick up holsters, accessories, and ammo marking the mark up probably about 30% over a $15-25 transfer fee, smart move and something I am going to strongly consider should we proceed.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

I've purchased 17 guns in the last 5 years. I researched all the purchases online to decide "what" to get and "how much" I should pay. I bought 1 of the 15 from gunbroker and had it shipped to my LGS (where I bought 8 of the other 16) for the transfer which he handled for $25.00.

My LGS is more than fair on prices, trade in value, and customer service. I want him to be there.

Fitch

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I've purchased 17 guns in the last 5 years. I researched all the purchases online to decide "what" to get and "how much" I should pay. I bought 1 of the 15 from gunbroker and had it shipped to my LGS (where I bought 8 of the other 16) for the transfer which he handled for $25.00.

My LGS is more than fair on prices, trade in value, and customer service. I want him to be there.

Fitch
    Awesome, this thread is pushing me more and more to accepting that we're going to have to become a stocking dealer if we plan to do much business.

You need to look at any local competition and try to gauge their buying power. A store that can go out and buy 1000 guns from manufacturers is going to get a much better wholesale price than a store that only has the resources to buy 50 or 100 at a time. As a result they can offer a much lower retail price to the public.

In other words, you don't want to open a small retail store just down the road from a Walmart.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

[quote=ClearSightTactical;180018]I'm sending you a PM with some of the info i've learned.

All employees do have to be "responsible persons" on the license, well not technically but per ATF anyone verifying the ID and conducting the transfer has to be on record with ATF. My prints are already in the system for professional licensing with my existing business.

Also, ATF is able to do one warrant-less inspection annually, any other time requires a warrant, they can of course request trace information per 4473 storage. Bars on windows and doors is also not the case. If someone comes to you and requests or offers a bribe to do something illegal, as a man of character you should say no.

The ATF is more than willing to educate dealers on how to avoid straw purchasers, what to do in case of an illegal bribe/kickback offer for transferring to a prohibited person, and field agents are all too happy to spend their time with you explaining the rules. When I called for a basic question regarding the packet the person I was speaking with spent over an hour on the phone with me explaining the process, and what's expected.

The licensing fee is only $200 Initial, and $90 per 3 years after. Insurance i've seen is about $800-$900 per year (ie: $75/MO) depending on limits of liability.

I'm not trying to argue with you as obviously I asked for your opinion, I'm just saying maybe if this is something you want to do you should revisit it, it really does look like a profitable, enjoyable business.

That's awesome about the transfer. I can understand the logic, they probably have so many people running guns through there that while the consumer is waiting on the transfer for their new toy they either find something to put on the "next time list" or pick up holsters, accessories, and ammo marking the mark up probably about 30% over a $15-25 transfer fee, smart move and something I am going to strongly consider should we proceed
    LOL, amazingly no. They are a really small gunshop/area gunsmith with vary little stock items other then about maybe 25-30 used long guns and about ten to 20 used handguns. They are older gentel men who seem to be passed the money stage in life and just like what they do. They don't sell holsters or anyother accesories other then trade ins. They order most of the guns and accesories people buy from them (other then the used ones). They have outstanding customer Service! They don't even charge to install night sights(unless drilling and taping is needed) then it's ten dollars a hole.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast