1911 Caliber Vs Manufacturer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Caliber Vs Manufacturer

1911 Caliber Vs Manufacturer

I was looking at the 1911 at the Sig Sauer web site. I saw they were all 45 caliber. I have never shot a 1911 before. However, I heard that it is a great gun for competition and the range. What are your thoughts on this? Which one would you buy?

If I were going to buy a 1911 it would definately be a .45. As far as manufacturer. It all depends on how much $$ you want to spend. Kimber,Les Baer,Wilson Combat,Dan Wesson,Smith and Wesson,Colt,Remington,Rock Island Armory. Are the main ones I see around my area. Good luck and have fun shopping and surfing around.

Here is a nice forum for info. Handgun Forum Discussion - General 1911 Area at HandGunForum.net

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Sig 1911. One of the nicer ones in my opinion. Try before you buy, especially if you do not have experience with the 1911 and/or the
    .45 ACP. You can throw as much as you like at a 1911 but buy what feels and shoots best for YOU, don't go by brand. Enjoy the hunt.
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by MI .45 View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Sig 1911. One of the nicer ones in my opinion. Try before you buy, especially if you do not have experience with the 1911 and/or the
    .45 ACP. You can throw as much as you like at a 1911 but buy what feels and shoots best for YOU, don't go by brand. Enjoy the hunt.
    Each one has its own feel. I own a Taurus, a half Colt in .45, and a Kimber .22 1911s. And also use dad's GM Special Combat in .45.

Thank you for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by rock919 View Post
    I was looking at the 1911 at the Sig Sauer web site. I saw they were all 45 caliber. I have never shot a 1911 before. However, I heard that it is a great gun for competition and the range. What are your thoughts on this? Which one would you buy?
    It is a VERY competitive market, you will get what you pay for. That being said, when you get into the higher priced pistols you are paying progressively more dollars for progressively smaller refinements. That is not a negative comment against the high-end pistols; as you approach the outer limits the increments become smaller or more costly to achieve.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

I have two 1911's...S&W and Colt Gold Cup Mark VIII. Both are excellent pieces.

My next 1911 will be a Kimber.

Rock, what kind & caliber of guns have you been shooting so up til now? .45 ACP is most common but you can find a 1911 style pistol in several other calibers.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    If I were going to buy a 1911 it would definately be a .45. As far as manufacturer. It all depends on how much $$ you want to spend. Kimber,Les Baer,Wilson Combat,Dan Wesson,Smith and Wesson,Colt,Remington,Rock Island Armory. Are the main ones I see around my area. Good luck and have fun shopping and surfing around.

Here is a nice forum for info. Handgun Forum Discussion - General 1911 Area at HandGunForum.net
    Ugh, you forgot one of the best, Springfield Armory.

I have two 1911s, a Springer Loaded and a Kimber UCII ... both are excellent, the Springer is my nightstand gun, the Kimber my cold-weather carry gun and warm-weather house gun ... I'd love to be able to afford $2k or more for a custom or high-end factory gun, but that's not in the cards ... either company makes excellent guns, but the Sig is also a topflight piece and you can't go wrong, if you like how it feels ...
    "Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast