Angels Amongst Us - "Why we carry...Protection of Family and Self"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angels Amongst Us - "Why we carry...Protection of Family and Self"

Angels Amongst Us - "Why we carry...Protection of Family and Self"

I have not been a member of this forum too long, but from what I have read here, the postings that are made, this is a different kind of Firearms Forum. It seems that it is one, that the members are really part of something that is good, and while we are different, we all have a strong belief in our Family and our Country. I don't think that I am wrong on this...

I am a long-time believer in being ready for the worst that can come upon you when you least expect it. I guess it stems from my Boy Scout days, "Always prepared".

But as I joined the military and found that I was being stationed in unfamiliar areas, some that were very bad, I realized that I needed to be better prepared. And having become a family man, I knew that I had more to be concerned about, and that is when I started carrying firearms, and they have saved my bacon more than once.

You see, my wife means a lot to me. No, that isn't really correct either. My wife means everything to me. You have to know the whole reason to understand my thoughts on this.

My wife brings out in me the best, and because of this I AM a better person than I could have been. The full realization of this has taken a lifetime of learning. My wife and I have been married for 37 years this year (we both had been married before) and we know when we have it good.

Two years ago, my wife saved my life! I had always thought of myself as a person who would save and protect my family, but she saved me. I had an accident on our little farm. I went in backwards into a 13-foot pit, landing on my back across three small trees (3" diam.) and then the mowing tractor that I was on crushed me, folded me in half. My wife saw the accident happen and without a thought for her safety, she jumped into the pit (on her replacement knee) and lifted that 1500 lb. tractor off of me and set it on it's side. I learned that I had broken my Thoracic Spine in 6 places and my Lumbar Spine in two places.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I believe that my wife had the strength of Angels that allowed her to lift that tractor off of me and get me the help I needed to survive.

It has been said that there are two motivations to make you do something. You can PERSUADE me, or you can FORCE me to do your bidding. But I believe that there is really a third reason. That of Love and Concern for your family or country. That Love can be called Loyalty or Patriotism, but it is still a very strong motivating influence on our lives.

What about it? Do you feel the same towards your lifemate? Do you believe you have a responsibility to protect your family?

~John
    JPKirkpatrick
    USAF-Ret; NRA Life; CRPA Life; USA Carry Mbr;
    Oath Keepers Chrtr Mbr; USCCA Mbr; HGCA Mbr; Ret Former LEO

At a time in life when I find myself "questioning" everything...Yes, I can honestly say that in my core... I do have an overwhelming love for my wife.

No hesitation regarding family!
    Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45
    Ruger LCR .357
    Remington 870 Tactical 12 ga

No Hesitations...

Lavon,

Thanks for validating my belief in the members of this forum.

May your family and you be blessed with a firm knowledge of your care and concern for them and that you may never have to exercise that measure of care that your are ready to exert in their defense.

Thanks again friend...
    JPKirkpatrick

Smile

Well put. I agree

Ya, know you just might be on to something here. Be careful John, people are going to start to talk about this. My wife (28 years) is my life. We all have a core. That core will define and drive us to do some great things. My wife has and will. May yours as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JPKirkpatrick View Post
    I have not been a member of this forum too long, but from what I have read here, the postings that are made, this is a different kind of Firearms Forum. It seems that it is one, that the members are really part of something that is good, and while we are different, we all have a strong belief in our Family and our Country. I don't think that I am wrong on this...

I am a long-time believer in being ready for the worst that can come upon you when you least expect it. I guess it stems from my Boy Scout days, "Always prepared".

But as I joined the military and found that I was being stationed in unfamiliar areas, some that were very bad, I realized that I needed to be better prepared. And having become a family man, I knew that I had more to be concerned about, and that is when I started carrying firearms, and they have saved my bacon more than once.

You see, my wife means a lot to me. No, that isn't really correct either. My wife means everything to me. You have to know the whole reason to understand my thoughts on this.

My wife brings out in me the best, and because of this I AM a better person than I could have been. The full realization of this has taken a lifetime of learning. My wife and I have been married for 37 years this year (we both had been married before) and we know when we have it good.

Two years ago, my wife saved my life! I had always thought of myself as a person who would save and protect my family, but she saved me. I had an accident on our little farm. I went in backwards into a 13-foot pit, landing on my back across three small trees (3" diam.) and then the mowing tractor that I was on crushed me, folded me in half. My wife saw the accident happen and without a thought for her safety, she jumped into the pit (on her replacement knee) and lifted that 1500 lb. tractor off of me and set it on it's side. I learned that I had broken my Thoracic Spine in 6 places and my Lumbar Spine in two places.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I believe that my wife had the strength of Angels that allowed her to lift that tractor off of me and get me the help I needed to survive.

It has been said that there are two motivations to make you do something. You can PERSUADE me, or you can FORCE me to do your bidding. But I believe that there is really a third reason. That of Love and Concern for your family or country. That Love can be called Loyalty or Patriotism, but it is still a very strong motivating influence on our lives.

What about it? Do you feel the same towards your lifemate? Do you believe you have a responsibility to protect your family?

~John
    Thats nice John, your a lucky man and welcome to the forum

We Need This...

Hey WillieMartin,
    I am of a belief that our women complete us, that they inspire us to do and be better than we can ever be by ourselves. I hope that we do get a good thread here, that we do get people to talk about it because, like you say, it is in our CORE, our soul that is layed open here.

From time immemorial we have had the role of hunter, gatherer and protector of our family, and it is our women that have made us feel as if it were all worth it.

And it is...

Pass it forward!
    JPKirkpatrick

JP: I have had my wife for 54 years and wish I could be with her for another 54. Prov. 31:10-31.

Quote Originally Posted by JPKirkpatrick View Post
    I am of a belief that our women complete us, that they inspire us to do and be better than we can ever be by ourselves.
    I am sure you won't get any arguments on that note from polygamists.

1 also have been married 37 years(as of december 29 2010). not bad considering we were both only 18 when we met and eloped 4 weeks later way back in 1973. i always tell people she has excellent taste in men. she then responds with something about temporary insanity or that im the one with excellent taste in women. humor helps. the kiddies are grown now so its her and me again. i have had to defend her on several ocassions and would gladly do so again. besides i tell her i have to keep her around because she makes more money than i do. i guess is the best thing a spouse can do is try every day to make your spouse smile. and i do mean every day. gosh i just realized ive been married more than two-thirds of my life. sometimes i tell her id trade her in for 2-twenty year olds to which she replies that your not wired for 220 anymore. again smile alot together and you will live longer. thats no joke. and congratulations to you for also getting this far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast