Spouse's attitude toward your firearms? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spouse's attitude toward your firearms?

1. WARNING! MANCAVE MOMENT AHEAD!

Here's my sales pitch for you. You HAVE become mildly obsessed with firearms - to the point of being a productive hobbyist. This is good. We all have hobbies that we spend time and money on. Hobbies that enhance your physical fitness and personal safety are positive. Your guns are all investments with tangible residual value, and every round and range fee you pay for is productive development of your motor skills, great stress relief, and a superb investment in your family's safety.

Now go buy a Ruger 22 pistol and a brick of cheap ammo. Tell your wife you have a deal for her: she relaxes and goes shooting with you for 1 hour, and you'll play nice for 2 or 3 girls nights out / sit through (smiling) 2 or 3 Sandra Bullock movies / you'll do 2 or 3 hours of housework that you usually avoid / etc., etc. ONLY TAKE THE 22! DON'T TALK SCENARIOS! ONLY TEACH BASIC SAFETY & MARKSMANSHIP!

This has a 99+% success rate! OK, so I made that up... but I bet it works.
    -Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevin mosley View Post
    This has a 99+% success rate! OK, so I made that up... but I bet it works.
    Quick off topic point.

I've never had to use this tactic on my wife (see my post above), but I have has a 100% success rate doing this with the non/anti-gunners in my life.

My tools of choice are a Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 and an S&W 22A with a 5.5 inch barrel. Both of these guns are easy and therefore fun to shoot. They're both accurate enough to make newbies feel like an experienced marksman. Nothing like consistently hitting the 10-ring to change someone's mind about shooting.

As soon as you see that smile and hear the question "do you have more ammo?" you know you have a convert.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

I have full, total, and eternal respect for my wife, so I treat her with kid gloves when it comes to my hobby. She had a gun to the forehead experience when she was about 20, so she is terrified of firearms. I keep mine on my bedside table and take it off when I get home, if she happens to hug me when I am wearing it, it freaks her out. she has gotten better, and went to the range once with me last year, 15 years ago when we got married, she made me keep them in the locked safe.

SO, that's my deal. Some guys say "I'm the man and king of my castle"B/S and that makes me mad. Since I treat my wife with the respect she deserves, this works for me. To each their own.

The only other thing is if I get a new holster for $50.00 or other firearm, she gets the same monetary amount for shopping.

A happy wife = a happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    I have full, total, and eternal respect for my wife, so I treat her with kid gloves when it comes to my hobby. She had a gun to the forehead experience when she was about 20, so she is terrified of firearms. I keep mine on my bedside table and take it off when I get home, if she happens to hug me when I am wearing it, it freaks her out. she has gotten better, and went to the range once with me last year, 15 years ago when we got married, she made me keep them in the locked safe.

SO, that's my deal. Some guys say "I'm the man and king of my castle"B/S and that makes me mad. Since I treat my wife with the respect she deserves, this works for me. To each their own.

The only other thing is if I get a new holster for $50.00 or other firearm, she gets the same monetary amount for shopping.

A happy wife = a happy life.
    Marriage is a 2-way street. And no, it's not 50-50. Sometimes, it's 60-40, and other times, it's 30-70. It depends a lot on what's going on. And what works in one marriage, may not work in another. So you gotta find out what works for you, and go with it.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

6. My wife was totally against keeping my rifle in the house when the kids were young. Even though I kept the bolt separate from the cased rifle. Things have changed since the kids are older. Both of our boys are into guns. We now make it a family trip to the range.

Take the advice give above. 22's are great pistols for beginners. My wife has small hands and wrists. My glock 19 is a bit much for her. But, I'm working with her and she's a pretty good shot.
    Were now renting different pistols, so she can get one of her own for home defence when I'm not home. Next, is her cc licence.

My wife and I learned to shoot at an early age, around 12 or so. We still both enjoy shooting, trying to out shoot each other. I am a Self Defense Act Instructor in Oklahoma, as well as a NRA instructor in various categories and she has her concealed carry license. She helps out in classes.

For Christmas, she asked for a Seecamp, and got one. She got me a FNP-9.

She reminds me when there is a Gun Show anywhere nearby and intends for me to attend the show. She often says, "Lets go shoot".

She has put up with me for over 30 years and says she does not want to retrain someone else.

Life is great with a great mate.

My wife was originally afraid of guns, now she has a Walther P22 and a S&W Sigma40ve
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

I used to be scared of guns, now I have 4 of them...what's the difference? -- I am now confident I can defend myself in case something happens and my husband is not around, that is, if this special someone who is going to want to harm me better start thinking fast when confronted with a 122.5lb rottweiler first before s/he got to me...

Hubby knows there was no need to bribe me...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

my wife of 20 years is kinda neutral on guns .. I've tried to get her interested in a CHL, but so far no luck ... she did join me in a private class in CA with my Mossberg 500 and shot it well, and she has shot some of my handguns ... she likes that I carry and that there's a 1911 in my nightstand, but hasn't expressed a desire to keep a gun on her side of the bed ... She has financed two guns with bonuses from work, which is great ...
    "Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective

My wife never shot a firearm before we met. She now owns 3 of her own and has claimed one of my Ed Brown 1911's.

I should also mention that she has become an excellent pistol shot and shoots about 1000 rounds a month in decent weather.

Now if I could just get her to clean em.

Steve

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast