Spouse's attitude toward your firearms? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spouse's attitude toward your firearms?

My wife has arthritis and it hurts her just to hold a gun. She has no problem with me owning or carrying, though. She'll even ask to see my latest purchase.

My husband will occasionally go shooting with me, but is not a gun person. He doesn't have a problem with me being one though. He even bought me a month at the range for a Christmas gift.

4. Hmmm... let's see:

The spouse who thought I had more than enough guns, too much stored food,and spent too much on gun shows... is receiving $2,000 a month in Maintenance as my ex. All she got was my 1950 red eagle, Ruger standard auto, her Vaquero .45 LC and my original .22 Bearcat (and half my retirement and all of hers). I kept the rest of my guns.

My Beloved Kathleen, well, I run out of superlatives... Beautiful, several times the average libido -- and the average pheromones, since she's always been able to have pretty much any man with little more than a smile and invitation.. Oh, she's 18 years younger, but we relate incredibly well.

Did a couple of years as a cop in Texas, has a nasty knife scar from interrupting a child rapist at his hobby; he's fertilizer, she's alive.

Loves guns, knives, lifted 4x4's. Feels diamonds are silly when cubic zirconia looks as good, and we could spend the money on another gun, more ammo, or lifting the Jeep.

Loves to cook good things and to experiment, but never takes herself too seriously in the kitchen.

When I said there was a show coming up, and I was thinking of maybe a tiny backup pistol, but also another .45 or maybe another battle rifle, she said "yes, yes and yes." Then she said "if you're going to the show, take a couple thousand out of the safe" -- money for which she works very hard at a low-paid job (I make better money and cover more bills, but she puts most of the "reserve" money into the safe.)

We read the same books, often reading to each other. Most recently enjoyed Larry Correia's "Monster Hunter" books (it's great when a real shooter writes books and gets the gun stuff right).

We have His and Hers shotguns in the bedroom. She's thrilled about the SureFire fore end I bought her.

She says "oh yes, good idea" every time I show her a painting, wall clock or fake book that can hide a gun.

She agrees that my owning Kevlar vests is a Good Thing, but chuckles at the time her former Chief spent "fitting" her extremely busty figure for a vest.

She's tickled with the Ruger 22/45 and the Springfield XDM .45 I brought back from the show.

She's constantly so complimentary and affectionate that I'd get a swelled head if I didn't remind myself there are billions of women not saying that stuff about me.

She is all for the deal I'm making with a buddy for another AR carbine, because the boys should have battle rifles they can shoot.

She wants to learn to reload.

She sees nothing wrong with taking apart a gun on the dining table or kitchen counter.

We love deciding together what we need next, be it another gun, some more books (our living room is completely lined in bookshelves, and I need to build a special set for the dining room), upgrade on one of our vehicles, outdoor clothing, custom concealment holster for her, or just what we'll get on our next trip to Costco.

If I had been allowed to draw up specifications for my Perfect Woman, then submit to God for production, I could not have done so well as I have with Kathleen. In my entire life, I never laughed and smiled so much as I have since meeting this woman 3½ years ago.

Yes, guys, take hope, there are women who love knives, guns, functional vehicles (she loves the ex-cop Crown Vic I bought her, wants the push bars beefed up), your kind of books and movies (she'll take action over chick flicks anytime), and are still gorgeous and always ready to jump your bones. But they are rare, this one is MINE and she does not have a sister.

As far as spouse's attitude toward my firearms (or my anything else), I could not possibly do better than I have.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

My wife loves to shoot. She has her CCW and spends more time at the range than I do. "Ladies' Night" at our local range is a good excuse to pop off a few rounds on a Wednesday evening. We did a four day defensive handgun course a while back and she shot the whole course with a 3" J-frame. Her current favorite is a Springfield EMP in 9mm. She's not too bad with my Para LTC in .45 either.

6. Several years back, our of blue, my wife asked me to teach her everything about 'our' firearms. We started the familiarization at home, and then we went to the range.

To my surprise she did not have any fear of recoil, even with EBRs and shotguns. And, amazingly she turned out to be quite natural shooter. She practiced about two years, and then the day came when she was forced to start carrying for real 24/7.

My wife never had problems with my guns, and now she is the one wanting to go to the range 'only for a few hours.'

I'm very proud of her.

My wife doesn't mind at all, as long as I don't spend too much. She grew up around guns and was taught at a young age how to shoot by her father, who is a retired WHP.
    She loves to shoot and has had her concealed carry permit for about seven years now. I really love her.... :)
    GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS...ESPECIALLY OUR SNIPERS

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    My wife carries almost as often as I do. She loves to shoot. She does however tell me that we "have enough" when I start looking at a new one too hard.
    This is just about where I am, got my first AK this past week, went to shoot yesterday and she likes it, so I geuss I got lucky on that one

My wife is VERY supportive and has a CPL and carries a Ruger LCP. We go to the range together and she's interested (or pretends to be) in my gun "collection" and my reloading hobby. The family that shoots together stays together...
    Daily carry: Sig P239 or S&W 3913
    High Noon Horsehide holster
    Black Talon ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    Hmmm... let's see:

...She's constantly so complimentary and affectionate that I'd get a swelled head if I didn't remind myself there are billions of women not saying that stuff about me.

She is all for the deal I'm making with a buddy for another AR carbine, because the boys should have battle rifles they can shoot.

She wants to learn to reload.

She sees nothing wrong with taking apart a gun on the dining table or kitchen counter.

We love deciding together what we need next, be it another gun, some more books (our living room is completely lined in bookshelves, and I need to build a special set for the dining room), upgrade on one of our vehicles, outdoor clothing, custom concealment holster for her, or just what we'll get on our next trip to Costco.

If I had been allowed to draw up specifications for my Perfect Woman, then submit to God for production, I could not have done so well as I have with Kathleen. In my entire life, I never laughed and smiled so much as I have since meeting this woman 3½ years ago.

Yes, guys, take hope, there are women who love knives, guns, functional vehicles (she loves the ex-cop Crown Vic I bought her, wants the push bars beefed up), your kind of books and movies (she'll take action over chick flicks anytime), and are still gorgeous and always ready to jump your bones. But they are rare, this one is MINE and she does not have a sister.

As far as spouse's attitude toward my firearms (or my anything else), I could not possibly do better than I have.
    You sir, are one extremely lucky man. Tell your wife I said "Hi!"
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

When we first met, my wife couldn't stand to even hear me talk about the fact that I owned guns. I was raised in Texas and learned to shoot at age 9, but at that time the only guns I owned were heirlooms that I rarely shot.

Since then I've become a much more avid shooter and have purchased a number of guns for myself. Before each purchase I've prepped the wife that it was coming, and even took her along when I purchased my Marlin. At first she tolerated the purchases and the introduction of more guns to the house, but she was still not a fan.

Increasingly, however, her curiosity has been piqued by each new member of "the family," and she has become supportive of my trips to the range (probably to get me out of the house) and plans for further handling and safety education. When I brought a Beretta 92 home from a recent gun show, she wanted to see it immediately, held it and proclaimed it "a beautiful gun."

The major turning point was on a recent trip to a rented cabin in the mountains, when a local neighbor and friend of the owner came to the front door, unannounced, in a blinding snow storm. He was harmless - just checking in on the place - but the experience of having our peace interrupted by the sudden appearance of an uninvited stranger shocked my wife into acceptance of the fact that life does not always go according to plan. On that day she said to me for the first time: "I'm glad you have a gun."

I haven't gotten her out to shoot with me yet, but she knows the combination to the safe and how to handle the shotgun at least, for the unlikely event something should happen when I am not home. She is on her way to becoming a convert.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast