Interesting article re: Kimber 1911 pistols
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article re: Kimber 1911 pistols

Interesting article re: Kimber 1911 pistols

"ALE's pricey guns prove unreliable"

Front page of our local newspaper:

ALE's pricey guns prove unreliable - Local - NewsObserver.com

It is hard to see that from a Kimber unless people were not cleaning them or something

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and it has been outstanding. The "ultra" series are 3" barreled guns that are said to be touchy on reliability.
    Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jaysonindaytona View Post
    It is hard to see that from a Kimber unless people were not cleaning them or something
    I don't know if you actually read the article, but the writer's point was that the leadership of ALE has a history of buying premium firearms, keeping them for a very short service life, then selling them at bargain prices to agency personnel.

I can't say I'm very surprised. Kimbers have received a lot of votes in various "Worst POS gun you've owned" threads on various websites that I visit. I've never owned a Kimber so I can only go on what I read. A lot of Kimber owners love theirs but I've seen an alarming number of Kimber owners who think otherwise.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    I don't know if you actually read the article, but the writer's point was that the leadership of ALE has a history of buying premium firearms, keeping them for a very short service life, then selling them at bargain prices to agency personnel.
    The article says that the Kimbers were traded to a dealer for Sigs so apparently they weren't sold to the agents at a discount price as had been done previously with their service pistols.

289 documented malfunctions out of 150 pistols. Yikes.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

So what gun shop has all these used kimbers??? I'm betting it was a combination of the shooters the ammo and the maintenance. I wonder how much their being sold for.

I understand that most of the Kimbers have many of the race gun bells and whistles installed. I know they have match barrels but does anyone know if they also have match chambers? I have a Caspian 45 made with a Quadralock match barrel which has a tight match chamber. Factory/military ammo will not fit in the chamber and all rounds have to have a tight taper crimp to function. The factory rounds will almost always have a FTF unless I run them throught the taper crimp die. Being finicky with ammo is a major difference between a service pistol and a accurized pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    I read it all... I was just trying to twist my mind around that part... well I couldn't it is just crazy...

I own and shoot a Kimber Ultra carry II

No issues yet, I shoot what ever ammo I can find on sale.

I clean my weapon after every range day regardless of the quantity or quality of rounds I used. I usually shoot 2 or 3 hundred rounds each range visit so I must have a few thousand rounds down range by now. (haven't kept track)

No issues what so ever.

It's my daily concealed carry weapon. I just bought an XDm .45 and have a crossbreed IWB holster on order so I might switch to it for my daily carry.

Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast