Urgent warning ammo recall
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Urgent warning ammo recall

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kannapolis, N.C.
    Posts
    1,088

    Exclamation Urgent warning ammo recall


  2.   
  3. #2
    Has anyone been able to verify the overpressure incident alluded to in this video? I did a brief Google search and didn't find any media stories.

    The reason I'm asking is because the rumor making the rounds at Chantilly is that this recall is a cover story and the real issue is those lot numbers were manufactured without the tracer that is supposed to be in all ammo (powder) to aid forensic investigators.

    One guy even went so far as to claim he'd used his kinetic bullet puller to disassemble cartridges from the affected lot numbers and the unaffected numbers...and found no statistical variation in powder weights. Now, of course, that wouldn't be a valid test if the recall lots were charged with a different, faster burning powder.


    3X PM

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    FT Bragg, NC
    Posts
    68
    my 4 boxes do not have a lot number on them.....oh joy

    i have never heard of this "tracer" powder....not that i care anyway. if they need to investigate me for a shooting, let them. better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas, for now
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by vettefreak View Post
    my 4 boxes do not have a lot number on them.....oh joy

    i have never heard of this "tracer" powder....not that i care anyway. if they need to investigate me for a shooting, let them. better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    On my Federal p45hst2 50 round boxes, the lot is printed on the outside of the box. The lot is in the range of lot for recall, but they said this type is not under recall.

    On my Federal C45D 20 round boxes, the lot is printed on the inside flap of the box, on the flap that said "45 Auto". Open both ends and look on that. I have 5 boxes that are recalled. I left a voice message with Federal for the recall and am awaiting a call back to get it exchanged.

    There must be thousands of people to deal with in this. They should have set up a web page to deal with this. The phone is way too slow.

  6. #5
    @ vettefreak "i have never heard of this "tracer" powder..."

    Not surprising that the implementation of ID Taggant tracing after 9/11 was suppressed. Like you, I also wasn't aware the technology had been put into practice for smokeless powder. Maybe that's one of the reasons why the price of bulk powder for reloading just keeps going up and up.

    The existence of fairly current online uncertainties and even downright denials bespeaks of just how low-key the technology execution really was. Apparently, the tracers/taggants now take advantage of nanotechnology...thus can't be mechanically separated from the powder and overcome any lingering fears that they might affect burn rates and/or long-term powder stability.


    3X PM

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    FT Bragg, NC
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    On my Federal p45hst2 50 round boxes, the lot is printed on the outside of the box. The lot is in the range of lot for recall, but they said this type is not under recall.

    On my Federal C45D 20 round boxes, the lot is printed on the inside flap of the box, on the flap that said "45 Auto". Open both ends and look on that. I have 5 boxes that are recalled. I left a voice message with Federal for the recall and am awaiting a call back to get it exchanged.

    There must be thousands of people to deal with in this. They should have set up a web page to deal with this. The phone is way too slow.
    Here is the link to the page that handles the recall
    Federal Premium - 45 Auto Product Safety Warning

    think i found my lot number. printed on the top portion of the flap that tucks into the box

    oOO im like 20 pages into that link and dayum....gonna hafta stick to military grade ammunition since it appears to be exempt lol

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    The reason I'm asking is because the rumor making the rounds at Chantilly is that this recall is a cover story and the real issue is those lot numbers were manufactured without the tracer that is supposed to be in all ammo (powder) to aid forensic investigators.
    There is currently no requirement for taggants to be included in smokeless powder or black powder. Doing so would basically hose most of the reloading data accumulated over the years.

  9. #8
    Thanks for that input, G50AE.

    I'll admit, I don't know one way or the other but there were some folks at the show who seemed pretty knowledgable and contradicted your opinion...to the point of saying there are trade magazine writers who aren't in the know who would also claim otherwise. I think I noted as such in a later post; but again, am really not in a position to offer an informed opinion either way.

    Still, the feasibility study I linked to earlier made no mention of older reloading data/manuals being invalidated as a limfac to implementation of tagging. Plus keep in mind that was an 80s study...when taggants were larger than microscopic and could be mechanically separated out. Apparently post-9/11, the science has progressed to the point where nanotechnology tagging is not only just technically possible but fielded according to some who claim to know.

    I would also call your attention to the apparent refusal of ATF spokespeople to go on the record on the subject of taggants.

    But what do I know...I'm just a user; albeit, one with a keen sense of interest in the subject and a research background so I have some sense of the relevant questions to ask when I'm nosing around.


    3X PM

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kannapolis, N.C.
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Has anyone been able to verify the overpressure incident alluded to in this video? I did a brief Google search and didn't find any media stories.

    The reason I'm asking is because the rumor making the rounds at Chantilly is that this recall is a cover story and the real issue is those lot numbers were manufactured without the tracer that is supposed to be in all ammo (powder) to aid forensic investigators.

    One guy even went so far as to claim he'd used his kinetic bullet puller to disassemble cartridges from the affected lot numbers and the unaffected numbers...and found no statistical variation in powder weights. Now, of course, that wouldn't be a valid test if the recall lots were charged with a different, faster burning powder.
    I posted the link to the Federal Ammo manufacture. It was a direct link for the warning.
    Federal Premium - Home

    Then in the right center you will see this.

    Product Warnings

    Federal and American Eagle 45 Auto Product Safety Warning.

    If you have affected product Click Here.


    http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/45_Auto_warning.pdf

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Posts
    181

    Oh boy!

    It looks like I will have to go and check the case of 45 auto I have stashed in my safe. I bought it about 2 years ago when I had a little extra cash. But I believe it was federal LEO.
    The Iceman, Akron, Oh
    Shoot straight and be safe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast