Transporting Firearms & Ammunition.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Firearms & Ammunition.

Transporting Firearms & Ammunition.

I think I have this covered but just wanted to get the members of US Carry impute. First let me mention that I currently have a resident South Carolina and non-resident New Hampshire concealed carry permit so I will be able to carry through all the states IĎll be traveling. My wife and I are relocating back to our home town in Erie PA from South Carolina. I will be transporting 5 handguns and two shotguns along with approximately 1,500 rounds of ammunition in my vehicle. All firearms will be unloaded (except for the PM9 on my hip) and in their original boxes. All ammunition will be separated from firearms and inaccessible, in cardboard boxes and taped shut. Anything Iím missing?
    Frank
    Glock 27, Glock 23, Glock 22
    Mossberg 930SPX

Well, 18 USC 926(a) requires that either the firearms or ammunition be locked. Also, most of the states you'll be traveling through are pretty good about transporting firearms as long as you do what you're planning. The exceptions are Maryland and the District of Columbia. Assuming you're going up I-95 I'd contact each and make sure you get the name of the person you talk to just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBear71 View Post
    Well, 18 USC 926(a) requires that either the firearms or ammunition be locked. Also, most of the states you'll be traveling through are pretty good about transporting firearms as long as you do what you're planning. The exceptions are Maryland and the District of Columbia. Assuming you're going up I-95 I'd contact each and make sure you get the name of the person you talk to just to be safe.
    Thank you, staying away from Maryland and DC going North on I-77 and I-79.
    Frank
    Mossberg 930SPX

I go through MD and sometimes DC to go to PA(East Berlin) 2 times a year to visit in-laws. Put all guns(including PM 9) unloaded and locked in trunk or thereabouts. On arrival, get a PA permit! Safe journey.

Quote Originally Posted by old salt View Post
    Thank you, staying away from Maryland and DC going North on I-77 and I-79.
    I don't know what shape I-77 is in right now but they finally paved I-77 northbound thru Beckely, WV last year. What a difference.

And as long as you don't speed or anything, you shouldn't have too many worries traveling. Your SC permit covers you along the way except for PA. There your NH permit covers you until you get your PA permit.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I don't know what shape I-77 is in right now but they finally paved I-77 northbound thru Beckely, WV last year. What a difference.

And as long as you don't speed or anything, you shouldn't have too many worries traveling. Your SC permit covers you along the way except for PA. There your NH permit covers you until you get your PA permit.
    Yes, PA permit is on my list to do, my son is a City Police officer in the town we are moving to.
    Frank
    Mossberg 930SPX

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    That's good info to know if I ever decide to visit that area or western PA.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBear71 View Post
    Well, 18 USC 926(a) requires that either the firearms or ammunition be locked.
    18 USC 926A requires that neither the firearm nor any ammunition is directly accessible. The neither/nor language means that both the ammunition and the firearm must be locked up.

ß 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    18 USC 926A requires that neither the firearm nor any ammunition is directly accessible. The neither/nor language means that both the ammunition and the firearm must be locked up.

ß 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

The OR comes into play in the case of a pickup or SUV.

That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console

11. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    The OR comes into play in the case of a pickup or SUV.
    However, the OR means if one is transporting a firearm OR ammunition - whichever is applicable.....

Just because a vehicle does not have a trunk or exterior compartment does NOT invalidate or exempt the requirement of:

during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
    BOTH the ammunition AND the firearm must NOT be readily accessible.

Let's further analyze this:

According to your interpretation, if the vehicle has a trunk compartment, both the unloaded gun AND the ammo must be locked in the trunk. However, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, then either the ammo OR the unloaded gun must be locked up. So, I can have an unloaded gun sitting on my lap, so long as I am in a van and I have a box of ammo that is in a locked container? What if I don't have a box of ammo with me, then do I have to lock the gun up in a van?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast