Taurus Judges / Defenders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Judges / Defenders

1. Taurus Judges / Defenders

Just got back from my local gun store and was looking at the new Taurus Judges. The owner said that he couldn't keep enough of them in stock or enough from Taurus.

My question is if most people think that they are not worth the time and money why do so many of them "fly" off of the shelves?

Is this gun a bad at what everyone says it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Labratinamaze View Post
    Just got back from my local gun store and was looking at the new Taurus Judges. The owner said that he couldn't keep enough of them in stock or enough from Taurus.

My question is if most people think that they are not worth the time and money why do so many of them "fly" off of the shelves?

Is this gun a bad at what everyone says it is?
    I have one. The light weight .45/410. A fun gun. Not the easiest to CC but that is why they came out with the Public Defender.
    Mine does make a good HD gun. You can mix and match the .45 long colt and the .410. They are making some interesting PD loads in .410
    I just found out the other day that S&W came out with a competitor for the Taurus Judge. S&W arguably make the best wheel guns... so I hear.
    Now get this. The Judge is a 5 shot the S&W Governor is a 6 shot. In addition to that advantage the Governor can take .45 colt, .410 and .45 ACP!
    If I was going to buy one I would go for the S&W for those reasons.
    Check them out. These are guns that offer options and I think that is very good!

4. You don't think maybe he was saying that to finalize the deal?

5. I'm definately going to say "it's possible" as to whether or not he was trying to seal a deal!

I have seen quite a few of them that were there one week and gone another though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcorp View Post
    You don't think maybe he was saying that to finalize the deal?
    I was in a shop in Easthampton Mass more then a year ago. I talked to the owner. He told me he wished that the Taurus Judge was approved for sale in Mass. ( Mass people I know you love their gun laws!) because he could have sold more then 20 in the last month.

Just my 2 cents:

I had a judge ultralight SS for about 2 years. It was one of those things I just had to have because of the Wow factor, so I spent way too much for it, so I thought. I dropped $500 on it and got tired of it real quick. 45LC ammo is expensive and hard to find. 410 shotgun isn't a very good stopping power round either. At the range I probably got 3 or 4 on paper with each shot. I conceded that it's only purpose, besides intimidation is close quarters, like a car. After carrying it around the shows here in Ohio for a few months, I finally offed it for what I paid for it. There are so many better options out there for CCW.

I was seriously considering a Judge a while back so I did a little research online. The recurring theme I got from owners and testers was that it was a really fun gun to shoot but with almost no practical value. Terrible accuracy and very little velocity (i.e. stopping power) with ammo that wasn't meant for a gun like that.

Lots of hype but very little substance. I passed on it.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I was seriously considering a Judge a while back so I did a little research online. The recurring theme I got from owners and testers was that it was a really fun gun to shoot but with almost no practical value. Terrible accuracy and very little velocity (i.e. stopping power) with ammo that wasn't meant for a gun like that.

Lots of hype but very little substance. I passed on it.
    The ammo situation has changed a little. There are now handgun 410 ga shotgun shells.

And yes they do sell.

Now if they only made a controlable 12 ga handgun.

I have a Judge-3" barrel. I've shot everything through it they make. 45 LC is pretty expensive, the shot loads are ok. Not a target pistol by any stretch, but fairly accurate at 7 yds. Keep mine at arms length in the living room. The PDX loads are awesome! Shot some watermelons at close range and I can tell you, if it was someone's head-------it would be gone ! ! ! No prob's with it as far as it goes bang when you pull the trigger. Lot of kick--better hold on.
    I like mine for HD, will be looking to buy the lever action rifle some day soon.

11. Please, if you're even THINKING about one of these silly short barreled shotshell revolvers, go visit The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing and check out their test of the Judge The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1 before wasting any more time.

As one who was ambushing starlings 35 years ago, with homebrewed shot loads in a 3" Charter Arms .44 Special, I can tell you that shot from a little short barrel does not have the velocity to penetrate. Never mind that the pattern totally sucks.

If forced to use a Judge to defend myself, I can only hope it is loaded with .45 LC rounds.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast