Moving from NJ to Arizona. Need advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from NJ to Arizona. Need advice

1. Smile Moving from NJ to Arizona. Need advice

Hi. I am moving from NJ to Arizona. I have several legal hunting rifles and registered handguns. What is the best way to transport to Arizona. I have a non-resident Florida CCW. Not sure if that helps. If I use my pick up truck to transport when I move, do you see any potential problems moving from one state to the other? I think I am protected under the Federal transportation laws of firearms. I have never had to transport over such a long distance. Any potential problems? Thanks for your input and help. Bobcat Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Bill View Post
    Hi. I am moving from NJ to Arizona. I have several legal hunting rifles and registered handguns. What is the best way to transport to Arizona. I have a non-resident Florida CCW. Not sure if that helps. If I use my pick up truck to transport when I move, do you see any potential problems moving from one state to the other? I think I am protected under the Federal transportation laws of firearms. I have never had to transport over such a long distance. Any potential problems? Thanks for your input and help. Bobcat Bill

Hey Bill...glad to hear we got another gun-nut coming to AZ!

The N.R.A. has put together a good list of gun laws by state here: NRA-ILA :: So, plan your route first, then look up the states you have planned to go through and adjust it accordingly. I've made the trip from AZ to Michigan and referred to that list, it's very good.

Almost all state laws allow transportation of firearms in locked cases in the trunk and/or in luggage. It would be unreasonable not to. Most states allow for carrying the locked cases in the cab of your truck if you don't have a canopy.

I would personally avoid Illinois and Wisconsin on your trip, simply because they are very gun unfriendly as far as the laws and reciprocity are concerned (I'm sure there are plenty of gun-loving individuals in those states, though...not referring to you all, my friends).

But if the cases stay locked and firearms stay unloaded, and you don't get pulled over, you won't have a problem. Once you get to AZ, you can carry concealed without a CCW, though there are some advantages to having one...and Arizona will honor your non-resident FL permit.

Also, there is no requirement in AZ to register any handgun or long gun with the state. And, we have a relatively new law here that says that any firearm manufactured and sold in AZ is not subject to federal gun laws! Go Ruger! I love this state!

I think every state should secede from Washington, DC, then we'll have them surrounded.

You can also refer to this map: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps | USA Carry for states that honor your non-resident FL CCW. It may help you a lot to decide what route to take.

I think every state should secede from Washington, DC, then we'll have them surrounded.

Congrats on getting out of NJ. I moved to NH (a much more gun friendly state) from NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by milkmood View Post
    Hey Bill...glad to hear we got another gun-nut coming to AZ!

I would personally avoid Illinois and Wisconsin on your trip, simply because they are very gun unfriendly as far as the laws and reciprocity are concerned (I'm sure there are plenty of gun-loving individuals in those states, though...not referring to you all, my friends).

But if the cases stay locked and firearms stay unloaded, and you don't get pulled over, you won't have a problem. Once you get to AZ, you can carry concealed without a CCW, though there are some advantages to having one...and Arizona will honor your non-resident FL permit.

Also, there is no requirement in AZ to register any handgun or long gun with the state. And, we have a relatively new law here that says that any firearm manufactured and sold in AZ is not subject to federal gun laws! Go Ruger! I love this state!

Definitely avoid IL...it's easy enough to route around it.

There is no requirement to register in NJ either...

OP...you don't say when you are moving...but you can apply for your AZ permit completely thru the mail....using your FL permit for the training requirement....you'll have it in 2 weeks...it will fill in some of those gaps going across the country that FL does not cover...and you will already have it for when you move in..

I have a solution

Go toy our FFL, send them to my FFL, I will pick them up and store them for you....I {promise** you will get them back. ;)

18 USC 926a:
    United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

Keep the guns unloaded, and the ammo and guns in locked containers and you are good to go for the entire trip. I would recommend a small uhaul trailer, myself. That way also, with the trailer, you won't be able to see NJ in the rear view mirror!

Never, ever consent to any search of the locked containers by law enforcement under any circumstance.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Never, ever consent to any search of the locked containers by law enforcement under any circumstance.
    Indeed. It's nothing against the po-lice whatsoever. You just never know what they could mistakenly tie you to.

YouTube - Dont Talk to Police

1st Congrats on your move toward a Freedom.. I lived in NY for 12 years, so I know..

You mentioned your guns are Registered (I presume in NJ)... You need to find out if you need to "un-register" them as you are leaving the state.

Great Video, I've seen it before..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    1st Congrats on your move toward a Freedom.. I lived in NY for 12 years, so I know..

You mentioned your guns are Registered (I presume in NJ)... You need to find out if you need to "un-register" them as you are leaving the state.

Great Video, I've seen it before..

Unlike NY, NJ does not have mandatory registration. I do believe that only NY "requires" you to send you guns out by FFL when you move....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast