This doesn't help matters: 2 shot at gun show
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This doesn't help matters: 2 shot at gun show

This doesn't help matters: 2 shot at gun show

2 men shot, wounded at Illinois gun show

Imagine you are the CEO of a big box store struggling with whether or not you will allow concealed carry in your stores.

You know it will make no difference to the criminals either way. You already have in place a policy to respond to armed robberies. You don't intend to rely on armed customers to carry out that policy.

So what does allowing concealed carry in your store do? It increases the risk that someone with a concealed carry permit is going to make a mistake and "accidentally" shoot one of your customers. That is probably a risk you aren't going to be willing to take.

Okay! That **** is on the operators of the show.

Every show I've ever gone to , you have to clear and check the weapon before it is locked (ty-wrapped) before entering. If that's not happening then the operators get what they deserve.

Stupidity of this sort causes all of us undo suffering. I can hear it now. The gun grabbers are going to use this event as a call to arms in the fight to shut down shows.

Stupid asses like this will cost us all!

4. Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    Okay! That **** is on the operators of the show.

Every show I've ever gone to , you have to clear and check the weapon before it is locked (ty-wrapped) before entering. If that's not happening then the operators get what they deserve.

Stupidity of this sort causes all of us undo suffering. I can hear it now. The gun grabbers are going to use this event as a call to arms in the fight to shut down shows.

Stupid asses like this will cost us all!
    For sure! You can't fix stupid, though, and some fool can always get it wrong, remove a mag & forget to clear the chamber. Most wepps will still fire (especially when someone has their finger on the trigger as they replace the wepp on the table--as they pull their hand away from the rifle, the tendency is to put pressure on the trigger), though I don't yet know the particulars.

How did this happen, I didn't think guns were allowed in IL
    Roy
    Dacono CO
    CCW, Ruger LCR, Winchester 94, S&W 686-3

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    2 men shot, wounded at Illinois gun show

Imagine you are the CEO of a big box store struggling with whether or not you will allow concealed carry in your stores.

You know it will make no difference to the criminals either way. You already have in place a policy to respond to armed robberies. You don't intend to rely on armed customers to carry out that policy.

So what does allowing concealed carry in your store do? It increases the risk that someone with a concealed carry permit is going to make a mistake and "accidentally" shoot one of your customers. That is probably a risk you aren't going to be willing to take.

Sorry...??? what does this story have to do with Concealed Carry weapons anywhere... ??
    McLean County Sheriff Mike Emery says an attendee at the ECA Gun and Knife Show was laying a semi-automatic rifle on a vendor table Saturday when the gun went off.
    As for this being on the organizers... I have attended and worked at enough gun shows to know that even if the organzers personally checked each and every gun that was brought in by an attendee or vendor - there will always be someone that cuts the ty-wrap to check the feel of the gun.
    Sorry - I put this squarely on the owner of the rifle that fired. Either they didn't check it before they allowed it to be handled, or they allowed it to be handled and loaded during the show.

So again I ask ? What does this have to do with Big Box Store's decision to allow CONCEALED carry of HANDGUNS in their store ?
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

Bruce. Try decaf dude.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Bruce. Try decaf dude.
    Now THAT is a truly brilliant response

You're obvious more in tune here that I.... we should TOTALLY blame the organizers... or better...
    let's blame the manufacturer of the rifle since it's design was clearly flawed.

Sorry... but I am damned tired of people pushing blame off to someone else, and even more tired of people that try to stir up resentment for our second amendment rights by clearly misdirecting attention from the real incident to so oh so scary bull-puckey hypothetical situation.

But feel free to igmore me and anything I might point out because I clearly had too much coffee this morning
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGAtl View Post
    Sorry...??? what does this story have to do with Concealed Carry weapons anywhere... ??

So again I ask ? What does this have to do with Big Box Store's decision to allow CONCEALED carry of HANDGUNS in their store ?
    Logic and reasoning. Maybe you need more coffee.

If I'm the CEO of a big box store contemplating store policy on concealed carry I'm thinking about the safety of my employees and my customers. If people supposedly familiar with firearm safety can't keep from accidentally shooting themselves at events focused on firearms, then maybe the last thing I want is armed shoppers in my store with "one in the chamber" on their hips.

Perhaps I'll just do what the gun show operators do, and require all firearms to be unloaded and zip tied before entering. If that policy is good for a gun show, surely it must be good for big box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Perhaps I'll just do what the gun show operators do, and require all firearms to be unloaded and zip tied before entering. If that policy is good for a gun show, surely it must be good for big box stores.
    Or maybe to make it simpler for the checkers at the front door, that CEO will merely direct putting up a 'no firearms' sign and be done with it. With the exception of a few states like SD, IN, PA and WA with a fair percentage (5 - 7%) of the adult population regularly carrying, if we all went to a competing big box store which wasn't posted, it wouldn't even register a blip on the accountant's radar.

We don't have strength in numbers so we have to come up with more creative ways to sell our 2A beliefs to these kinds of decision makers.

A few disgruntled shoppers declaring they'll never go back to XYZ megastore isn't going to cut it. That's just a personal "feel good" measure.

3X PM

IMNSHO two points seem to stand out:

If I'm the owner of a firearm then any liability for bringing a loaded weapon to the show rests with me. At last weekend gun show I saw a number of sellers walking around with "For Sale" signs on their weapons. While the show operators must perform due diligence to safeguard the attendees, the arm owner is responsible for not bringing one loaded to the show.

Second: What part of keeping "concealed" is a problem? When I'm carrying, I don't broadcast the fact. Not to store owners, not to those who are with me. Family and close friends know that I carry and the subject does not come up on normal conversation, it's assumed. 'Nuff said. If the shop or restaurant is a "No arms" zone, I go elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast